Witcher 3 - Collector's Edition Unboxing

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
CD Projekt RED released a new video that unboxes the console version of the Collector's Edition, and they seem to have started an uproar on the games forums.
The game is scheduled to launch February 24th, 2015.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a story-driven, next-generation open world role-playing game, set in a fantasy universe full of meaningful choices and impactful consequences. In The Witcher 3, you play as Geralt of Rivia, one of a dying caste of monster hunters, and embark on an epic journey in a war-ravaged world that will inevitably lead you to confront a foe darker than anything humanity has faced so far—the Wild Hunt.
More information.

Last edited:
An unboxing video!? Did somebody forget to tell the marketing guys that this game has been delayed until 2015??

They revealed that they'd broken their explicit promise of platform equality by adding a card game and cloth map exclusively to the Xbone version at no extra cost...

So far they seem to try to wait that storm out, but I'm afraid it looks like their white robes will remain tarnished for a while...

First Tomb Raider (timed exclusive), now this. Microsoft must be getting really desperate to promote the Xbone in order to catch up with the PS4. As always they are doing this at the expense of PC gamers. Their bribe must have been irresistible for CDP. I can not imagine that CDP would shit all over their loyal fan base for pocket change. Still pretty lame that they're selling out like that. They should have told Microsoft to go fuck themselves.

I would choose the money too. And it's not that bad, they probably chose the lesser evil
Xbox*

The forums are quite funny to be honest. Completely useless however as its just people telling other people what they should or should not be feeling. There are a few expressing their displeasure directly at the company but 100 pages of it is just people yelling at each other.

Wow, over 100 pages and over 1000 postings in 2 days. That is a torrential storm of criticism and has definitely knocked them down a few pegs. I think it would be a huge mistake for CDP to try and ride this one out.

Are there that many people who are really going to buy the overpriced junk in the bigger box? I liked the music in the video, though. :p

People's feelings are so hurt by this, it really is sorta pathetic to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth on some of the forum posts. "we've been betrayed" they collectively wail, tearing at their clothes for dramatic effect

Really - it's a fucking game people. Or rather, a set of cards and a piece of cloth. There's people in the world who were fine one day then bleeding out every orifice of their body with Ebola the next. Shelf your first world problem that the "other kid got something you didnt", and play your game. When it's released, of course…

I thought the game was what matters anyway, not a bunch of ancillary junk. Your fathers need to smack you upside the head

Last edited:
People's feelings are so hurt by this, it really is sorta pathetic to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth on some of the forum posts. "we've been betrayed" they collectively wail, tearing at their clothes for dramatic effect

Really - it's a fucking game people. Or rather, a set of cards and a piece of cloth. There's people in the world who were fine one day then bleeding out every orifice of their body with Ebola the next. Shelf your first world problem that the "other kid got something you didnt", and play your game. When it's released, of course…

I thought the game was what matters anyway, not a bunch of ancillary junk. Your fathers need to smack you upside the head

In few years time... Witcher 4 comes out but its only for Wii....

Well, if CDPR had promised platform neutrality when it comes to physical items - I could see the validity of this complaint.

AFAIK, they've made no such promise - and have only talked about "content". To me, game content is content within the game - not outside the game.

But, even if this could be interpreted differently - you would have to know that CDPR deliberately tried to cheat their own users, which would make them excessively stupid - considering their whole PR style. It's exactly the opposite of what their strategy has been for years.

So, bitching about this means you feel sure that CDPR are liars and they're also stupid.

That's not really my impression, but whatever floats your boat.

MS obviously paid them boatloads of cash to make this happen - and as long as I get the same game as everyone else, I can't have a problem with them being paid extra.

Then again, I haven't received a physical item for a game in many years. All my purchases are digital - so maybe I'm just not the kind of person who'd be likely to understand this problem.

Then again, I haven't received a physical item for a game in many years. All my purchases are digital - so maybe I'm just not the kind of person who'd be likely to understand this problem.

You're right.

Todays typical PC player/gamer is a digital purchaser. All that matters is content.

Not quite the way yet for a console player. And if you're both a Playstation gamer and a Witcher Fan, and you prepurchased the CE edition. I can easily see them feeling that CDP is handling the game inequitably.

Prior to this, PR wise, CDP had a great thing going - now because of the cash grab, their image is tarnished in one corner of the gaming market. OTOH, a lot of game companies start off with sterling reputations but as they put out more and more product their image becomes a little less shinny. So perhaps this was bound to happen sooner or later as the company matured.

You're right.

Todays typical PC player/gamer is a digital purchaser. All that matters is content.

Not quite the way yet for a console player. And if you're both a Playstation gamer and a Witcher Fan, and you prepurchased the CE edition. I can easily see them feeling that CDP is handling the game inequitably.

Prior to this, PR wise, CDP had a great thing going - now because of the cash grab, their image is tarnished in one corner of the gaming market. OTOH, a lot of game companies start off with sterling reputations but as they put out more and more product their image becomes a little less shinny. So perhaps this was bound to happen sooner or later as the company matured.

Well, the upside of this is that people might stop pre-paying for crap that has nothing to do with the game, and publishers will have one less way of exploiting the audience.

I very much doubt the people making the actual game has anything to do with this kind of marketing decision.

Then again, I don't think I've trusted a publisher for at least 20 years. CDPR always smacked of picking low-hanging fruit when it comes to marketing.

They've exploited this "good-guy" image for years - and I've never, for one moment, believed they did the EE because they were nicer people.

But what matters to me is the end product, not the image of people I've never met or will ever meet.

If people are upset over this CE "betrayal" - here's hoping they learn from it.

If people are upset over this CE "betrayal" - here's hoping they learn from it.

That made me laugh.

In my 30 plus years of gaming I have purchased only 3 CE editions.

1) Ultima 9
some explanation is needed. When the game first came out it would not run on my rig so I retuned it. (ahh the good ol days) Two (?) computers later, Best Buy had the CE edition, in a tattered box with a very nice clearance discount. I took the plunge.

2) Fallout 3.
Big fallout fan since 1. I was ecstatic to see it's return and went full in. I love my Fallout lunch pail.

3) Bioshock Infinite.
I don't know why I did that. Maybe I got a raise at work. Or won some jack in Vegas. Or inherited some funds. Some how I fell for the hype that the game was going to be a generational change in gaming. And I needed to have the CE as proof I was there?

:jester:

see . . . . lesson learned.

I've bought a few myself - a long time ago. I do believe I got the CE of Ultima 9 as well - but then was when I cared about fluff content like the fate cards and stuff.

I also seem to remember getting some super edition of Daggerfall along with a giant paperback handbook for guides and what not.

Nothing wrong with it.

I've just developed into a person who's very much NOT into "physical" items. As in, I don't care about anything that has no obvious practical value, and I don't invest beyond the practical application.

Not sure why, but that's just what I'm like now.

Ok, I do occasionally succumb and buy superfluous shit like tablets and what not, but I do get some fun out of it - and when I do buy it, I no longer have to justify it. I just accept that it's money burning in my pocket and I feel like distracting myself with something shiny for a few hours.

But I can't exactly convince myself that it's some actual need that's being met.

Back
Top Bottom