Forbidden Depths - A 3D first person roguelike

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor
Hi Folks!

I just wanted to announce Forbidden Depths, a new indie RPG being developed.

It combines the design of the classic roguelike, with the gameplay of the first-person dungeon crawlers of old (Think Rogue meets Eye of the Beholder, but in an up to date 3D engine). The game will have the following features:

- Single Player
- First-Person
- Turn Based Combat
- Grid Based Movement
- Randomly Generated Dungeons
- Randomly Generated Traps/Puzzles/Secrets
- Keys/Switches/Pressure Plates, secret doors/walls
- Environment that affects enemies as well as you, in both good and bad ways (traps affect enemies)
- Different enemies with different abilities. (oozes can squeeze through things, ghosts ignore walls)
- Polymorphic items. A potion or scroll will be unique in each game instance.
- Permanent Death!
- Simple intuitive controls
- Full 3D graphics and animation
- Multiple Platforms:
. Windows PC
. Android
. iOS

- Possible Future Platforms:
. Linux
. Mac OS X
. Blackberry

More info (along with early development screenshots/videos) can be found at:

www.forbiddendepths.com

We welcome all questions, and feedback from the RPGWatch community is always greatly appreciated!

Update (13/09/2013) added playable web demo of early devlopment build:

Forbidden Depths - Unity Web Player Demo

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

Last edited:
The idea of a tile-based roguelike in 3D is interesting.

Your website doesn't seem to reveal very much though :)

You got a nice website there.
Btw, google tells me there is a problem with your robots.txt, preventing a description text to be displayed.

Concept sounds cool - but hard to create the depth in interactions, creatures, etc. in a 3D game (on a budget). But definitely interested.
Very dark dungeon - I like dark dungeons, but also assume lighting ids't final? (Torches don't seem to give of light).

The idea of a tile-based roguelike in 3D is interesting.

Your website doesn't seem to reveal very much though :)

You got a nice website there.
Btw, google tells me there is a problem with your robots.txt, preventing a description text to be displayed.

Unfortunately because the site is new, my host "quarantines" the robots.txt for 30 days :( As for content, hopefully there will be much more incoming information, especially coming through the devblog. What information would you want to hear/see?

Concept sounds cool - but hard to create the depth in interactions, creatures, etc. in a 3D game (on a budget). But definitely interested.
Very dark dungeon - I like dark dungeons, but also assume lighting ids't final? (Torches don't seem to give of light).

Yes that's probably the biggest challenge, and because of the graphics, the mechanics are not going to be as deep as the traditional "text-based" roguelike. Fortunately, because dungeons are randomly generated, a lot of the level design is essentially taken care of, aside from the small immersive details. Potions, scrolls, traps and environment, and how they interact with each other will play a big part in how your play and survive, or die trying…
As for lighting, yes it's definitely a work in progress. Right now i'm thinking it's too dark in some areas. The torches do give off some light but there are no real-time shadows either, and if they're added, really depends how they perform on mobile apps. However, that may be an added feature of the desktop version.

Thank you for the input folks!

Right now the inventory system and mini map are being worked on, and I may have a web player version of an early build soon.

For those interested, you can now try out a recent development build in your web browser. A different dungeon layout will be generated in each instance. You can use the follow keys to navigate:

QWE
ASD

Forbidden Depths - Unity Web Player Demo

Back
Top Bottom