Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Reviews

Hm, pretty good reception so far. Cool.
The main thing that still puts me off is the DLC / Add-on cost (i.e., base game + season pass or the premium edition). A rather typical Paradox sales model, unfortunately.

And I think that's the reason for what looked to me to be a rather tepid response in the Steam reviews. If the game weren't chopped up as much as it is, I think it would've fared better there.

I will hold off on this one for the time being. Haven't even played the latest AoW yet, which also seems to be pretty good. Also, don't like the space dwarfs they have as a faction.

AoW is my favorite 4X series. But this setting somehow doesn't grab me.

Haven't put that many hours into it so far but it mostly feel like a simplified AoW3 with swapped textures so you shoot lasers instead of arrows/magic.
Which isn't bad really but with the final price tag being unknown and it mostly feeling like a reskin I wouldn't currently recommend it to anyone I know.

I did however have a great time as a lover of both AoW and scifi. So looking forward to take another peak once everything has been added, and likely buy any bundle sale with the dlc.

That type of sales model is the reality these days. I spend probably $300-500 a year on game purchases so I have no problems paying for games I want to play. I was able to get it about 20% discounted through another retailer so it's all good.

My next day one purchase? Greedfall next month. Hey the overtime is good so I have plenty to spend!

I just started this. It didn't grab right from the start the way previous AoWs did, but it seems worth playing, so I'll keep going.

i bought it at full price (it doesn't happen often for me) and i don't regret it. I like the changes in combat, more xcomesque.

With Paradox games I just wait until its run its DLC cycle and buy the final/gold/platinum/other specially named version. There a lots of good games out there, and I don't need to play one the minute its released.

A good philosophy generally, but if you'd done that with Crusader Kings II, which also happens to be possibly the best game I have played, you'd be waiting about 6 years now and counting.

With Paradox games I just wait until its run its DLC cycle and buy the final/gold/platinum/other specially named version. There a lots of good games out there, and I don't need to play one the minute its released.

I am the opposite. I play a lot of games, so if the vanilla games isn't worth playing, no dlc is going to save it for me. If I start playing the vanilla game and really like it, I may pick up a dlc, and only then if I look at it and think it would be something which would motivate me to do another playthrough. I do rarely buy dlc bundles on old games if they are really cheap. For example I bought the 3rd dlc for Pathfinder:Kingmaker, because I think it would be fun to play it through in dungeon crawler mode, and bought the dlcs for Battle Brothers, which I will replay in any case. Both of those are such great games, that the developers deserve the extra money.

I just started this. It didn't grab right from the start the way previous AoWs did, but it seems worth playing, so I'll keep going.
And now it's hooked me completely. "One more turn" has kicked in, so I'm having trouble going to bed at night..

Did the game get better or did you just get addicted ?
It grew on me. It's a bit overwhelming in the start, and there's way too much stuff to cover in a tutorial or similar. Really enjoying most aspects now. There are definite drawbacks though, but the pros outweigh the cons by a fair margin in my opinion.

So the game is more complex than AOW-3 ?

It grew on me. It's a bit overwhelming in the start, and there's way too much stuff to cover in a tutorial or similar. Really enjoying most aspects now. There are definite drawbacks though, but the pros outweigh the cons by a fair margin in my opinion.

So the game is more complex than AOW-3 ?
I would say so, yes. Units can now be modded by a huge number of mods, changing their style of play quite a lot. Also, high end units require a rather limited resource, so there's no way to just create huge stacks of top tier units, meaning you have to create more balanced armies.

The diplomatic aspect appears a bit easier though, so it's often entirely viable to either win through diplomacy, or ensure that you never fight more than 1-2 enemies at a time. I have yet to encounter any maps in the campaign where I felt as swarmed as I did in the AoW3 campaign.

A good philosophy generally, but if you'd done that with Crusader Kings II, which also happens to be possibly the best game I have played, you'd be waiting about 6 years now and counting.

And discounting how easier it is to learn how to play when starting from the start and over the course of six years.

Back
Top Bottom