CompUSA is History

magerette

Hedgewitch
For those who fondly remember the glory days of pc game shopping, according to this blog article one of the original computer chain stores here in the US is biting the dust apparently due to pressure from big box stores like Best Buy and Circuit City.

The bad news:
The embattled electronics retail chain was dealt its final blow Friday when it was sold to Specialty Equity, an affiliate of private equity firm Gordon Brothers Group. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed, but the immediate result is that Specialty Equity will close all 103 CompUSA stores in the United States, according to a press release issued late Friday.

The 'good' news:
Gordon Brothers will "initiate an orderly wind-down" of each of the stores, the company says. That's great news for consumers looking for bargains. CompUSA will remain open through the holiday shopping season, presumably with "Everything Must Go!"-style signs.

CompUSA closed its California stores a while ago, and I miss the one that was close to me. It was right off the freeway next to a Borders Books, where I'd ultimately end up, browsing books and drinking coffee. I used to spend entire mornings up there, sometimes.

Some of the employees didn't have a clue, and that was kind of entertaining in an I-feel-so-superior way. But I respected the guys who built the PCs. Their manager really got into it with difficult customers too, and that was even more entertaining!

That's too bad. I liked their store when I was living there. Although I didn't buy from them too often. I went to Electronics Boutique and before them Software Etc and Egghead software before they closed down because they mostly only dealt with software, but I did go out of my way to buy CompUSA's special Daggerfall game.

Edit: Hey Squeek, was that the CompUSA that was off the 5 freeway? It was in a shopping complex along with a Wallmart.

It was right off the 5 freeway, yeah. But there isn't a Walmart. I'm talking about the one in Mission Viejo. The store's still there with all the signage, but its doors are closed. It's kinda sad.

I never got went to that one. I went to the one in Anaheim. It was really close to Disneyland. Anyways, that does suck. I guess a combo of Fry's Electronics, Wallmart and the internet maybe had a role in their demise.

I get sentimental for a minute, but just a minute - because while I think back to 5 o so years ago when it was worth the 30 minute drive for me to get the amazing browse-through selection and awesome 'dumpster dive' bargain bin deals, in recent years they haven't had anything to even draw me in when I was in the area ...

Yep, at one time it was a fun place to shop for pc stuff--I got a mousepad of "The Scream" there that I still use--but it's been years since I drove through the major traffic to the congested and distant part of OKC where it's located since they've had less and less to interest me.

May have to hit it for the sales, though--if our ice storm ever goes away. :)

compusa was awesome a long time ago, and yeah they closed up here a year ago, but they've been fairly weak for the last five years. but it's where i bought gothic so many years ago! even though fry's is "in the cuts" and their service is horrid it is truly an electronic paradise. plus there is one of the few el pollo locos in northern california nearby...

They closed the 3 Columbus area stores last year. I used to go there all the time, mainly to dig through the bins of discounted games and software. Sometimes I'd walk out of there with 3 or 4 closeout games for 20 dollars or less. I got some pretty good games at great prices; I remember getting the Ravenloft and Thunderscape games for about 5 dollars each; Anvil of Dawn for about 10. Don't know why I remember that, I guess it's because I liked those games quite a bit and knew I got a good deal. I did buy hardware from time to time when they had an advertised special. Their prices used to be pretty good for a while on just about everything they sold. Oh well, one less choice, but actually I don't think I've been in there in about six years.

STL MO stores have been closing for a while. As all have said, they lost their luster and quality over the past 3 years or so. I am lucky there is now a Gamestop near me for games. Puter parts are always a click away if the stores don't have what I want.

They closed down here in Michigan nearly a year ago. It's sad because now my only choices for hardware are Circuit City and Best Buy, who I absolutely abhor.

Back
Top Bottom