Paradox Interactive - New Images for Vampire Game

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer reports on Paradox Interactive sharing some new screenshots for its Vampire game.

nVv584dwdUj4szniVmG3gM.jpg

From the images, posted on Twitter, we think we can pick out the Surfside Diner, The Ocean Hotel in flames, The Ventrue Penthouse, The Malkavian Mansion, the Nosferatu Sewers, and Fat Larry's van.

It's all pointing towards either a remake or a follow-up to Bloodlines, and Paradox promises that "something big" is coming next week during the Game Developers Conference.

[...]
More information.

I was going to say that's the hotel in Bloodlines before reading. Good memory I replayed it last year, despite the fact that the image is way too HD for Bloodlines.

Are they going to announce an HD remake instead of a new game?

Or maybe a game that takes place in the same areas but is a new story and new game?

Seems like the setting will be Seattle…

from what i've gathered:

The bicycle/street screenshot is a close match to 137 James Street in Seattle.
That tall building screenshot in the night is actually almost a 1:1 recreation of the Pacific Tower which is based in Seattle.
The pier video that we saw can't actually be Santa Monica as the sea there goes into open ocean, but in that video we can see actual land and lights in the distance.

Some people say the set pieces reminds them of what's happening in this Vampire game on Geek And Sundry (GM is Jason Carl from white wolf):

(gonna watch later)

some of the cast will appear at GDC too.. doesn't need to mean anything i guess but..

Or maybe a game that takes place in the same areas but is a new story and new game?

The Ocean Hotel scene is the fire one in the OP, that's something that happens in Bloodlines while doing the quest there.

I don't see any reason why they'd do that.. it's most likely concept art.

"Joanna reckons that, judging by the photographs, the new game could be inspired by the fifth pen and paper version of Vampire: The Masquerade, which came out at the end of last year."

so another person claiming it's close to the game in the show i posted then.. + like i said the cast will be present at GCM, for some reason.

Which isn't vastly different from placeholder scenes for the purpose of generating buzz. :)

I meant that concept art is not just there to create buzz, it serves another purpose, but sure, it can be used to create buzz as well ;)

I meant that concept art is not just there to create buzz, it serves another purpose, but sure, it can be used to create buzz as well ;)

Of course, but it's pretty obvious what the purpose of showing those on Twitter was.

For people wondering about the craziness of the ARPG because not everything get posted here about it: it is rather extensive.

I find it wierd someone would call some of these photographs. They are clearly a mix of concept arts and pre-rendered scenes.

I also thought initially it was that same hotel from the earlier game, and then I canned my speculation for a much later date. This one is still quite a ways off, in my opinion, I just hope it eventually delivers the goods.

It's possible that those are just placeholder scenes for the purpose of generating buzz.
Or maybe all the old haunts <ahem> got burned so now you're forced to move up the west coast to Redmond? The scenes could come from telling the player that story in the opening moments of the game.

Sounds like we'll be finding out in the next week or two if PC Gamer's speculation is correct.

Sounds like we'll be finding out in the next week or two if PC Gamer's speculation is correct.

The GDC is this week (18th to 22nd) actually. PCGamer made a little mistake there or that article was written last week but only posted today, which is mighty suspicious considering the tweets happened yesterday and a few of them says "something is happening on the 21st!". ;)

Via a ARPG "memo", it is known that they invited ~300 people in San Francisco for March 21st at the same time as the Game Developer Conference. Paradox is known to make game announcement at GDCs too.

All this speculation is a waste of time can't wait till the official announcement.

Just a reminder from the codex thread - https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11109
It's been theorized that the developer is Seattle-based studio Hardsuit Labs, who recently announced the imminent shutdown of their venerable F2P shooter Blacklight: Retribution and have been working on an "unannounced project" since at least 2017. Job ads and resumes indicate that their game is using Unreal Engine 4 and involves "established IP lore" and "an emphasis on acting performance". Paradox acquired a 33% stake in Hardsuit in early 2018, and the studio employs Martin Ka'ai Cluney, a former Obsidian designer who worked on the cancelled Aliens RPG. But what really makes Hardsuit's involvement seem likely is that several images of what appear to be various locations in Seattle have been revealed over the course of the ARG. Go with what you know!
Might be a possible F2P or MMO game.:(

Last edited:
Just a reminder from the codex thread - https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11109
Might be a possible F2P or MMO game.:(

Going by the rpgcodex spelunking (in another thread):

- the game is probably a single player only game because a level design job posting asked for single player game experience.
- it looks like it will have a mix of voice-over and text-only quests
- Chris Avellone was contracted as narrative designer (from 2015 to mid-2018) at that studio to work "tenderly" with others. Chris has been multitasking like crazy for the last 3 years.
- the creative director is probably ex-Obsidian Martin Ka'ai Cluney
- Brian Mitsoda, one of Bloodlines writers who lives in Seattle, might also be involved (Annie, his wife, is working full time at System Era Softworks but nobody knows what Brian is doing and DoubleBear is like a side job for them). Brian is at GDC this week.

Another interesting thing, Hardsuit Labs was formed in 2015 (from the closure of another studio). Paradox bought the White Wolf IP from CPP in October 2015, but that's after Chris started to work for Hardsuit Labs (he started in April) which might suggest CPP started this project and Paradox inherited it.

Now we are sure that it's Bloodlines. But we don't know it's a remake or sequel. Maybe both? I like the sound of it. :)

Thanks for that post, azarhal! Actually more interesting than the article itself. What does this mean?

Chris Avellone was contracted ... at that studio to work "tenderly" with others.

And is Doublebear actually a thing anymore?

Now we are sure that it's Bloodlines. But we don't know it's a remake or sequel. Maybe both? I like the sound of it. :)

I'll say there is at least a "temporal sequel" that will be announced, i.e. a 3rd game based on Vampire The Masquerade. You usually don't write many new quests for a remake/remaster and Tender is something from the 5e of the pnp that start in 2018 (Bloodlines happens in 2004).

Unless it is a remake of Bloodlines with a bazillion of new DLCs.

And is Doublebear actually a thing anymore?

They have a game in production technically and Annie said she was still working part-time there despite her new job back in 2018. They shifted sub-RPG genre after Dead State though.

Back
Top Bottom