|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Do you watch Critical Role?

Default Do you watch Critical Role?

February 25th, 2019, 01:00
I've been watching this for the last couple months. Although I'm on episode 65 or so, it does get kind of irritating at how little these characters learn from their mistakes.

If you watch, how far along are you in their exploits?
Who's your favorite character?
Who's your most detested character?

I love, love, love Scanlan & Sam Riegel; he is the quintessential bard - played well, creative, constantly inhibiting himself against metagaming. An absolute delight.

In contrast, I cannot stand how obnoxious Marisha Ray is in playing Keyleth. She's a constant source of exasperation and, if it wasn't for Scanlan, I would have likely stopped watching a good while back! Hey guys, after preparing an entire city for protection against scrying from dragons, let's skywrite a welcome message in the clouds as one flies overhead.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

February 25th, 2019, 01:34
No and never will.
It has more than 200 episodes where each lasts more than 3 hours long Bollywood movies. I don't have time for yet another Santa Barbara - I need my free time for worldwide exotics.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

February 25th, 2019, 03:06
Never even heard of it, so, no.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
+1:

February 25th, 2019, 03:47
No. I had to look it up. It's a D&D group who stream their sessions on twitch. I would not find that interesting. I did play D&D as a teenager, but whenever I go into a game store and see those groups of D&D players role playing around a table, as a middle aged adult these days, I mentally cringe…I would only enjoy that if I knew everyone who was playing really well (like, good friends for years) and even then - it would not be something I would like - otherwise, that would be very awkward for me and I would feel very uncomfortable in that situation.

I mean, come on, no matter how you slice it, that is a dorky type of situation. lol. And I'm kind of a loner type and tend to be anti-social, to be honest.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

February 25th, 2019, 04:00
A DM makes or breaks tabletop gaming and Matt Mercer is in a league of his own when it comes to DMing. So, I'd strongly urge you to withhold judgment if you're not familiar with the show

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

February 25th, 2019, 05:17
Had to take a look, could be fun i guess, better than "let's play" videos at least.
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

February 25th, 2019, 10:29
I watched a few minutes, which was more than enough for me. I thought the DM guy was embarrassing, and it seemed like typical insufferable Youtube stuff, to me - a load of squealing doofuses doing product placement.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Last edited by Ripper; February 25th, 2019 at 10:42.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

February 25th, 2019, 16:26
Ahhh, now that I know what it's about, I'd be even less likely to watch something like that. Sure, I'd be keen on playing the game with mates, but watching people that I don't even know play it?? No, that would be of zero interest to me. It would be like watching people play Axis and Allies, Diplomacy, or Risk, rather than watching I'd prefer to be playing meself!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

February 26th, 2019, 03:34
Watching people play Diplomacy might not be bad. Especially if there were actual daggers lying around. Paranoia is even better for… drama.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

February 26th, 2019, 12:48
I've ever seen any point in watching other people play unless it was to help me if I got stuck in my own game. I don't watch any sports and I wouldn't watch this.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

February 26th, 2019, 15:52
Oh I watch plenty of sports myself, many different forms of football, hockey, rugby, CFL, NFL, but I would never consider watching people playing a board game/pen and paper rpg to be a sport. Even just the thought inspires me to break out my old games and gather some friends up to play!!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

February 26th, 2019, 17:36
It's more about storytelling than what you guys are trying to compare it to. Think radio programs of the past, such as X-1. Or a more expressive audio book.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Yesterday, 09:51
Gonna watch this one instead i think, seems pretty great.. narrated by Jason Carl of White Wolf.

loading…
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Do you watch Critical Role?