Witcher 3 - Insider on the Graphics Downgrade

Resolution is too low to make any comments on actual graphics and the combat mechanics again involve jumping around like a circus acrobat.

I doubt you're playing at 1080p.. resolution was fine. Yes the constant rolling gets stupid, well at least this time you can jump, which seems kind of strange that he couldnt do in the past (a wheelchair would've been more realistic in previous games, i mean if you're a person who can't jump over a 10cm height that hinders you in your adventures).

Oh the acrobat combat? TW3 = Assassin's Creed. :)

Oh the acrobat combat? TW3 = Assassin's Creed. :)

The Witcher > Assassin's Creed

The-Witcher-2_05.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is PC. It is moving at much closer to 60fps.

Actually the IGN stream is ~30 FPS, the one i linked to streams at 60 FPS.

check with fraps..

Edit: though IGN just said it's PC version @ 60 FPS. I guess they just don't stream it at full FPS.

I'm pretty sure that is PC. It is moving at much closer to 60fps.

I'm amazed by visuals shown there, thought to ditch the vid but can't stop watching. If this is not PC but PS4, that's some PS4 on steriods. Hell it all looks so much better than vids previously shown. Did you see the slow sunset effects? Amazing.

EDIT:
They just said it's PC, GTX980 and i7 (didn't specify which one). And it's apparently running 60fps. And they actually shown options! No they didn't enter graphics options, arrrrgh! But the menu is there.

Acutally the IGN stream is ~30 FPS, the one i linked to streams at 60 FPS.

check with fraps..

I think they are both PC. The stream might be 30fps but the fluidity and speed of the animation and camera movement in game is much better than PS4 footage.

That guy at IGN is one the main CDPR guys. I wonder if they are streaming from CDPR offices for selected publications and that is why they have access to PC version.

I think they are both PC.

yeah, IGN just said to new viewers that's it's PC version.

Really unimpressed by the flat lightning, especially on characters, it's like they are separate objects in the world because they seem to recieve almost no lightning at all, often very bright in comparison to the surroundings.

They shown briefly gfx options!
As seen, all ultra only hairworx disabled (dunno why, they didn't say).

pic.jpg

Also they've shown how you can disable anything shown on HUD. I won't do that, but streamers could use it.

Really unimpressed by the flat lightning, especially on characters, it's like they are separate objects in the world because they seem to recieve almost no lightning at all, often very bright in comparison to the surroundings.

Yes. I know you are a graphics man and if you have that critical eye some things we see here are weak, for sure.

I don't see anything flat, I'm amazed by visuals on IGN stream, honestly.
If this game is what CDpr downgrade means, please do the same downgrade any time. Because it looks so much better than Ubi Watch Dogs downgrade.

The IGN stream is really spamming the fact that it makes no difference what platform you play on because they are all awesome. Very heavy handed talking point. Tells me that they have minimized potential of PC version. Perhaps the calculation will change after the early sales period and they can make improvements.

IGN stream ended, I'm partially sad because they didn't show a town (or I switched on it too late) plus they answered on bloody irrelevant tweets instead of seeing crapload of people asking them to turn on hairworks for at least a few minutes and things like that.
Better luck at friday I guess when they're supposed to show some more stuff and answer more questions like console preload.

All in all, I couldn't pinpoint anything that looks the same as on PS4. Everything felt like with more detail here.
Placebo because they said it's PC or I'm just selfmesmerizing myself? Ot it's because of low quality PS4 vids? Dunno.
I'm just gonna wait till someone plays the same sequence on Playstation and on PC then uploads the side2side video so we can see it for real.

EDIT: Forgot to say - the IGN footage was on PC with one GPU. Not two or more. In case someone asks why it wasn't 12K resolution or something. :D

The IGN guy said the PC version looked much better and realised straight away he had said the wrong thing. Then CDPR talked for ages about all versions being great and he started reversing and saying the differences were minimal, but they clearly are not.

Is interesting because I had not thought that the PC version being much better would upset console buyers so much. But it must be something that CDPR marketing worries about, and it explains a lot.

Is interesting because I had not thought that the PC version being much better would upset console buyers so much.

Maybe it would upset the console builders with whom they some sort of marketing deal ;)

The PC version *should* look much better. People who built a machine designed to run modern games on Ultra spent a wee bit more money than someone who picked up a console box. The advantage of a console box is you can trust the games you buy for it will run without any effort on your part.

Since consoles have become the financially dominate form of gaming it has become a millstone around the neck of PC gaming. There are few companies that still make bleeding edge games for the PC anymore and the Witcher franchise had a reputation for pushing that particular envelope. It's a shame that even they had to eventually curb themselves.

Where consoles provide a kind of graphical fidelity you can trust to not change much, your top of the line PC video card will be sold for pennies on the dollar in a couple years time. When you design a PC game with Ultra graphics you're looking ahead at the next generation's cards. If you're doing it right then most people won't be able to run your game on Ultra when it hits the streets. But in a year or so everyone can enjoy the graphical goodness.

Not so with consoles. In order to not alienate a massive segment of their customer base they have to downgrade to the equipment they will have. In the end I hope they could eventually provide us PC users with the experience the early screenshots showed, because it looks gorgeous.

umm, you've never heard of review / preview copies? It's very common that journalists gets a copy before it reaches the stores, it's been a standard since the 1980's, if not before ;)

Not that common when devs have an embargo against that version, so they're not going to be popular reviewers if that is the case.

But I guess they lifted it for some.

Did the IGN stream show the pc interface or did they use a controller ?

The IGN guy said the PC version looked much better and realised straight away he had said the wrong thing. Then CDPR talked for ages about all versions being great and he started reversing and saying the differences were minimal, but they clearly are not.

Is interesting because I had not thought that the PC version being much better would upset console buyers so much. But it must be something that CDPR marketing worries about, and it explains a lot.

Did the IGN stream show the pc interface or did they use a controller ?

They did use a controller but we saw inventory screens and such. Doesn't look that great to me. Hopefully a job for a modder.

Back
Top Bottom