Assassin's Creed Origins - Reviews

Making a car unstealable is a service to customers and for which customers pay.

Making a vid product unstealable is a service to providers and for which customers pay.

It does not compare.

You’re welcome. I’d like to point out that Bob Whitaker, an American history professor, has a Youtube channel called ‘History respawned’, where he takes a close look at videogames from a historian’s POV. He has already posted his first impression of this game and has announced that he’s going to make a future episode on AC:O together with an Egyptologist. So anyone who’s interested: keep an eye on his channel!

Gameplay in gaming is so secure people can pay attention to side issues like historical accuracy.

What I've seen so far looks decent enough, but my primary concern is lack of variety. Not only have past AC games been very repetitive, I think I'd get sick of the Egyptian look after a while.

Repetition is a non issue.

The identity of the AC franchise is gone for good. It took time for Ubisoft to transition and the move is achieved with this one episode.

AC was about assasination in open public places. Mechanics like a crowd (Ubisoft communicated about the technology used to achieve a functional crowd) and terrain (parkour) were elements to allow the PC to blend in, strike out and blend in again.

After watching streams, it is clear that this direction was given up. This product is closer to a Mordor/mad max formula than it is to the original AC formula.

In this regard, Ubisoft diversified this product, a lot.

"Ubisoft says DRM isn’t the reason Assassin’s Creed: Origins pushes CPUs"

a Ubisoft spokesperson said bluntly that "the anti-tamper solutions implemented in the Windows PC version of Assassin’s Creed Origins have no perceptible effect on game performance." The spokesperson added that the game "uses the full extent of the minimum and recommended PC system requirements… while ensuring a steady 30fps performance."

So if we cap the FPS to 30 FPS, the CPU usage might come down? FFS!

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/20...-drm-is-slowing-down-assassins-creed-origins/

Personally I trust hackers more than UbiSoft PR guy so lets see what happens when the game get cracked

I remember in witcher 2 the initial release had lots of performance issues and they fixed them by removing the drm. Of course the publisher was unhappy and there was some sort of law-suite over the drm removal (anyone recall the outcome ?). However, removing the DRM fixed the technical issues !

I can never get into these types of games. Whether it's Assassin's Creed, Mordor, Far Cry, etc.. They seem like they lack something to me. They are soulless to me. I feel like the worlds they create in these games are mostly decorative and not all that interactive. Too gamey or something, too.

These types of games just do not excite me in the least. I also like deeper RPG elements. I can play GTA games for fun and mayhem but these other ones, not so much.

Just my opinion though so don't crucify me over it. :D

I remember in witcher 2 the initial release had lots of performance issues and they fixed them by removing the drm. Of course the publisher was unhappy and there was some sort of law-suite over the drm removal (anyone recall the outcome ?). However, removing the DRM fixed the technical issues !

You must be thinking of a different game. The original release of TW2 had a few issues, but they weren't due to DRM afaik.

I can never get into these types of games. Whether it's Assassin's Creed, Mordor, Far Cry, etc.. They seem like they lack something to me. They are soulless to me. I feel like the worlds they create in these games are mostly decorative and not all that interactive. Too gamey or something, too..

The original Far Cry was really good actually, but that game was developed by Crytek who sold the rights to Ubisoft afterwards. The series was "Ubi-ized" beginning with Far Cry 2.

TW2 had lots of issues with the launcher that they included with the initial release. It was sort of related to DRM because you had to make an account, register your game, log in and e.g. if you were a CE owner then the launcher should have theoretically given you access to your preorder rewards etc.

They never got it working though (login & registration & validation errors galore), and after a few days of very amateurish looking attempts to fix it, they went 'fuck it', removed the launcher, gave everyone access to preorder/CE items etc. and removed the DRM in the process, too, which got them that lawsuit from Namco (which Namco won by the way).

Yea, there are lots of rumors flying around about this, re: constant high CPU usage while playing the game, and people on monster-like uber systems having bad frame rates because of it.

One side says it is because of a double DRM type anti-piracy protection that Ubisoft put on the game that is the reason why some are getting 100% cpu usage on all cores all the time, while others are saying its a false rumor put out by angry would be pirates of the game who are just trying to hurt the games sales, and that legit owners aren't having these problems…I'm not sure what to believe. (since I don't have the game yet, but am planning on buying at a later time)

TW2 had lots of issues with the launcher that they included with the initial release. It was sort of related to DRM because you had to make an account, register your game, log in and e.g. if you were a CE owner then the launcher should have theoretically given you access to your preorder rewards etc.

Ah... I seem to recall that now. I never had any issues, but I do remember people talking about that here.

TW2 had other quirks that lasted a lot longer. Like that annoying keystroke delay that would sometimes occur during combat. I don't think that was fixed until the release of the enhanced edition.

"Ubisoft says DRM isn’t the reason Assassin’s Creed: Origins pushes CPUs"

So if we cap the FPS to 30 FPS, the CPU usage might come down? FFS!

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/20...-drm-is-slowing-down-assassins-creed-origins/

Personally I trust hackers more than UbiSoft PR guy so lets see what happens when the game get cracked

Problem is a crack will most like circumvent the DRM, not remove it. So performance likely won’t change and we won’t know it’s impact for sure unless Ubi removes it which will probably happen.... never.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier I’m not seeing any high cpu usage. Avg 25%. Also getting smooth 60 FPS @ 3440x1440. I do see some stuttering in cutscenes however. So it’s not happening on all systems.

5930k@4.8Ghz 6c/12t, titan x (pascal), 32GB ram.

The original Far Cry was really good actually, but that game was developed by Crytek who sold the rights to Ubisoft afterwards. The series was "Ubi-ized" beginning with Far Cry 2.

Yep. I played the first Far Cry a bit. I remember it still feeling a tad bit "empty" in that sort of way but not nearly as bad as the Ubisoft games. I enjoyed it at the time.

I know it's blasphemy around here but I feel a similar sort of way looking at videos of The Witcher 3. I know, I know, I should play it for myself and see, but I get the vibe from the world that it is A) mostly empty and B) mostly decorative.

I think I need open-world RPGs now to at least have a base level of objects floating around and have felt that way since Morrowind. I still remember getting to Balmora and thinking, "Whoa, I can actually GO IN all of these houses?!" Back then a lot of RPGs I had played used buildings themselves as decorations, let alone the plates/cups/etc. inside of them. In Morrowind you could not only enter every house but also examine every little item, mundane or magical, in the building. You could find little secret items under pillows, or pick a locked chest with the owner's goods in it, some special weapon leaning against a wall, etc.. It felt more realistic, more complex, deeper and more interesting. For me.

I've been spoiled ever since, I think. :) And that is part of the reason I hold Piranha Bytes RPGs in such high regard, as well as games like Morrowind, and definitely Nehrim & Enderal. Even Oblivion and Skyrim, albeit to a slightly lesser level as they utilized more level-scaling design, whereas the previous games mentioned were not scaled at all, or in Morrowind's case, used a lighter form of it.

Maybe I'm weird in that way but I find it very hard to get into other games that don't exude that feeling of world depth and interactivity at least. Or whatever the heck it is I'm experiencing in these games.

Peace.

I think I need open-world RPGs now to at least have a base level of objects floating around and have felt that way since Morrowind. I still remember getting to Balmora and thinking, "Whoa, I can actually GO IN all of these houses?!" Back then a lot of RPGs I had played used buildings themselves as decorations, let alone the plates/cups/etc. inside of them. In Morrowind you could not only enter every house but also examine every little item, mundane or magical, in the building. You could find little secret items under pillows, or pick a locked chest with the owner's goods in it, some special weapon leaning against a wall, etc.. It felt more realistic, more complex, deeper and more interesting. For me.

That's interesting because Morrowind is mostly empty outside of cities and dungeons. It was a great game for its time, but it's not aged well at all visually or mechanically. Games like The Witcher 3 are far beyond that now, but I realize you have a bias against certain name brands, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Still, I could see how Morrowind had such an impact on you because it was indeed pretty unique back then in how you could handle almost everything in the game world. If you can look past the the nostalgia though, you'll discover it's been surpassed in most ways by Bethesda's more recent games.

That's interesting because Morrowind is mostly empty outside of cities and dungeons. It was a great game for its time, but it's not aged well at all visually or mechanically. Games like The Witcher 3 are far beyond that now, but I realize you have a bias against certain name brands, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Still, I could see how Morrowind had such an impact on you because it was indeed pretty unique back then in how you could handle almost everything in the game world. If you can look past the the nostalgia though, you'll discover it's been surpassed in most ways by Bethesda's more recent games.

Well I clearly stated in my post that I've played Bethesda's recent games I enjoy them. But if that's all you got from my post then I question your reading comprehension. Stop trying to antagonize me for a second and maybe act like a civilized human being and try to see where I'm coming from. K thx.

Well I clearly stated in my post that I've played Bethesda's recent games I enjoy them. But if that's all you got from my post then I question your reading comprehension. Stop trying to antagonize me for a second and maybe act like a civilized human being and try to see where I'm coming from. K thx.

Good lord… What are you crying about now? Was there anything untrue in what I stated?

As usual, you seem to be upset by someone just trying to help you see outside of your narrow cone of vision.

Good lord… What are you crying about now? Was there anything untrue in what I stated?

As usual, you seem to be upset by someone just trying to help you see outside of your narrow cone of vision.

Again, reading comprehension. You seem to lack it when it comes to my posts for some reason. Then you try and antagonize me as being some narrow-minded fool because you misread or misinterpreted what I type.

This is basically 98% of my interactions with you here.

Simple example, you bring up Bethesda's recent games which I clearly said in the post I enjoy. And I gave specific reasons why I enjoy those games and TW3 didn't interest me as much.

You seem to be the narrow-minded one and then like to project that on me.

Again, reading comprehension. You seem to lack it when it comes to my posts for some reason. Then you try and antagonize me as being some narrow-minded fool because you misread or misinterpreted what I type.

This is basically 98% of my interactions with you here.

Simple example, you bring up Bethesda's recent games which I clearly said in the post I enjoy.

You seem to be the narrow-minded one and then like to project that on me.

You clearly stated that you hold Bethesda's more recent games in lesser regard. There's nothing wrong with having that opinion, but are you really that butthurt over me saying a 15 year-old game has been surpassed in most ways? That seems to be what set you off.

You really are your own worst enemy Fluent, and yes, you really are quite narrow-minded when it comes to a lot of things. I'm pretty sure most people here would wholeheartedly agree with that. No one else consistently drags down threads because of an inability to view an opinion other than their own.

You clearly stated that you hold Bethesda's more recent games in lesser regard. There's nothing wrong with having that opinion, but are you really that butthurt over me saying a 15 year-old game has been surpassed in most ways? That seems to be what set you off.

You really are your own worst enemy Fluent, and yes, you really are quite narrow-minded when it comes to a lot of things. I'm pretty sure most people here would wholeheartedly agree with that. No one else consistently drags down threads because of an inability to view an opinion other than their own.

You came at me bro. So you can stop with that BS.

I'm not butthurt at all about you saying Morrowind was surpassed. Good for you, that's your opinion. I have no problem with that. But don't come at me with your usual antagonizing BS in disguise. And I quote:

Games like The Witcher 3 are far beyond that now, but I realize you have a bias against certain name brands, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

That's some real dumb shit. Especially when I make a detailed post about my opinion and why I feel that way and that is the best you can come up with.

Morrowind having been surpassed in most ways isn't an opinion, it's an objective statement.

And no one was coming after you, but we get that you like to play the victim when your feelings are hurt. :clap:

Morrowind having been surpassed in most ways isn't an opinion, it's an objective statement.

And no one was coming after you, but we get that you like to play the victim when your feelings are hurt. :clap:

If you weren't coming at me then why say some dumb shit like that in your post? You do it all the time. It's childish bruh.

And I have no problem debating you on your "objective fact." Please, just give me the word. But I know all that will happen will be you misunderstanding every word I post, so what's the point really?

Back
Top Bottom