The Outer Worlds - First Impressions @ PC Gamer

Same, and even when I don't, it tends to feel a bit "cramped" for me. I know it's supposedly more realistic, but my eyes see far more of the world and what's going on around me than what's going on in first person games. It's more similar to removing the bottom of a cardboard box, holding it up in front of your face and then viewing the world through that.

I'm not sure if that made any sense, but the point is that an eye is formed like ) instead of |, which means our angle is far greater than just what's straight ahead of us. For example, I can almost always see my body, including my hands, even without holding them up in front of my face.

Exactly. There's no peripheral vision in 1st person view, so with the over-the shoulder perspective I at least have some idea what my companions are doing without having to repeatedly whip the camera around during combat.

Exactly. There's no peripheral vision in 1st person view, so with the over-the shoulder perspective I at least have some idea what my companions are doing without having to repeatedly whip the camera around during combat.

I can definitely appreciate that. I wonder how we will control companions given the limitations FP perspective imposes.

I step out for half a day and this thread turns into philosophical debates about social justice and first-person vs third person in gaming. ;)

Fwiw, I'm glad I don't suffer from any of the issues being talked about here relating to the camera. I'm able to equally enjoy either view. I do prefer first-person for shooters or if combat is mostly shooting, and I prefer third-person for melee fighting.

I'm a little surprised they're not including a third-person mode like in FO:NV tbh. It could be that it's more difficult to have both with the Unreal 4 engine compared to when they used Gamebryo for NV.

Indeed. The only companion system (if it can be called that) from a first person POV that really worked for me was the old system found in Might & Magic, Wizardry and so on, but that's obviously not what they'll be doing. I suspect it could get quite frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom