Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I've finished the first game with A0 (all quests and sidequests done), but didn't (re)play NG+ to reach level 80. This level is needed to get some bonuses plus some scenes depend on your dance choice in the first game, so…

Anyway, for those who:
- didn't play ToCS1 and want to jump on ToCS2 without doing the first game
- didn't grind NG+ for level 80 or more
- danced with stupid Alisa and screwed it because they wanted Fie or someone else…

Here's collection of all CS1 savegame possibilities:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/7vntbc/a_collection_of_cs1_clear_data_ready_for_ng_or_to/

Do as instructed there (but bmp needs to be renamed in thumb001.bmp not save001.bmp) and then just start a new game in ToCS2, it'll ask you which savegame (from ToCS1) to load.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me how does legend of heroes trail in sky 1,2,3 compare to cold steel 1,2 and is there any relationship to them. Please comment on both story and game mechanics!

Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky 1,2,3 is a story in the same game universe some years earlier. The GFX-engine is a bit older, but looks nice, too. The combat engine is similar. The story is even better.

I would say Trails in the Sky are superior to Cold Steel, but only in the sense that I found the earlier stories a bit stronger, and the games lasted longer. And maybe have less cut scenes, which I'm not a huge fan of.

I'd compare them thusly: Aliens is better than Alien, but both are superb, and well worth watching. Both are head and shoulders above most of any so called rivals, and assuming you enjoy the genre, you will not feel cheated for giving them your time and cash.

If you ask me, TitS and ToCS arcs storywise are currently impossible to compare because ToCS "saga" is not finished yet.

ToCS keeps what made TitS awsome - rich, diversive and detailed characters. A noticable difference so far is lack of obscene character in ToCS - the one from TitS does make cameo appearance in ToCS but he's now older thus became more serious and responsible. It doesn't mean ToCS lacks of humor though. Another difference so far is (b)romance where TitS had a predetermined pair while in ToCS the hero can choose who to "bond with" the most and it doesn't have to be the same person in each game (it's not known if these choices will matter in the end).

TitS was originally made for PC so you won't have any problem with it's UI. ToCS was not originally made for PC, but it's port is most probabaly the best port ever from consoles onto PC - it's so good if you didn't know it was a consoles title, you'd think it was made originally for PC.

In both series you don't have to grind excessively, only a bit. In TitS 1 you'll grind a bit only in the last chapter to prepare ultimates for bosses. In ToCS 1 you'll grind a bit only to buy equipment for everyone (basically you'll pass through one short dungeon twice instead of once per chapter).

Combat is similar, but ToCS added so called master quartz where some of these feel overpowered once you level them. That's why you'll hear that combat in ToCS is easy. I still recommend playing the game on normal and not nightmare although if you fail a fight there is an option to replay it with easier trashmobs/bosses - note that doing this will not give you bonus points in certain boss fights!
Also in ToCS there are links between characters you can train through battles or by spending time with companions at certain points that function like miniultimates and during fights randomly trigger buffs or heals between linked active party members.

ToCS series adds mechs and with them also mech combat. These are different from field combat a bit and are rock-paper-scissor minigames actually.

Both series have fantastic music scores.

Last but not least, I didn't like english voiceover in TitS and used japanese (with subs). ToCS is the only jRPG series where english VO is done properly. In my opinion ofc.

Last edited:
DLC is mostly cosmetics and you don't need any of it. Stuff that isn't cosmetics are items you don't need at all (some of those you get for free within the game itself).
Honestly I'm not sure what's the purpose of those DLC, but then again seeing some people are buying the new low from EA, DLC for DLC, ah well… Just skip 'em.

Perhaps what I wrote is confusing…
Sims 4 has Dogs&Cats DLC. And now EA released a new DLC named "My First Pet". This new DLC requires not just the game Sims 4, but also Dogs&Cats DLC to be installed.
Fans are angry ofc, requiring one DLC you won't play to enable another DLC feels like scam. Believe it or not instead of everyone telling EA to shove off, there are people who bought it.
Won't add it in "BS of the week" thread as Sims 4 is one of those DLC:The Game titles. Here's hope this horrible practice won't happen in other games… I'm too optimistic, am I?

So tails 1 2 3 is better than cold steel 1 2 3?

Depends on the person. I like Cold Steel much more than Trails in the Sky. I don't care much for the story in games, as long as it's serviceable I'm ok (so don't ask me which story is better), but I do care about game mechanics and I like them much more in Cold Steel.

As for how they relate to each other, they're in the same world, but very independent (i.e. you don't need to play one to enjoy the other). You may see a reference here and there of something that happened in the other series but all you need to know is in books you can read in-game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom