Divinity: Original Sin II - Mac Release More Likely

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@RockPaperShotgun Divinity: Original Sin 2 has been doing well enough that a Mac version is now looking more likely.

Larian started work on Original Sin 2 using the engine that ran the Enhanced Edition of its predecessor, and that version was ported to consoles as well as Mac, Linux and Windows. It always seemed likely that similar support would arrive for the sequel at some point, but perhaps due to delays to the Linux version of the original game, no firm promises have been made this time around. But in response to a question about whether the sales success made ports more likely, Vincke told me:

"Yes. We deliberately focused on the gameplay of the Windows PC version first because it was such a complicated game to make and we didn't want to lose time on the inevitable additional hassle cross-platform development brings with it."

[...]
More information.

*continues stoically waiting in front of his iMac for the port of D:OS2*
This would be nice, but it's so very easy to get Windows running on a Mac - I recently bought an external SSD, installed Windows on it and that's how I game now while traveling for work. The main system is completely unaffected by this, everything Windows is on the external drive, performance is way better in games and you don't even have to activate Windows to be able to play.

I'd rather have a linux version. Don't own a Mac and certainly don't intend to.
But if it is ported to one, it will be more than likely ported to the other (after all, OSX is just a Unix variant with a hefty price tag).

So this is good news, either way.

Hmmm... for some reason I assumed this was coming to Mac. Sure hope it does... I want to play this coop with my daughter and there's only 1 PC in our house and a bunch o' Macs.

Very nice - I have this playing on my Samsung Galaxy Book (i5, integrated graphics) and it looks and plays great. So I know it will perform well on my MacBook Air!

This would be nice, but it's so very easy to get Windows running on a Mac - I recently bought an external SSD, installed Windows on it and that's how I game now while traveling for work. The main system is completely unaffected by this, everything Windows is on the external drive, performance is way better in games and you don't even have to activate Windows to be able to play.

Yes, I know that Windows on the same machine offers more games at better performance but I just prefer a native Mac version. When Steam opened up to Mac and Linux, I let Windows wither away and die. I still game on an Xbox (360 & One), though.

Back
Top Bottom