RPGWatch - Shortlisting the GOTY

I think the cleanest approach to generate a short list would be a pre-voting.
I would go with a selection from about 10-15 games per participant. Selections get counted and top 30 (?) games go to the short list.

To reduce effort you could even limit the participants (to staff members) and vote with an open spreadsheet (e.g. Google) on a confidence base.

Yea, I would only vote for a few games anyhow...like I said, only familar with a limited number anyway. I'd also be curious what the rpg editors thought re: GOTY.

Yea, I would only vote for a few games anyhow…like I said, only familar with a limited number anyway. I'd also be curious what the rpg editors thought re: GOTY.
Every year the site has editors choice and players choice awards.:)

Last year both members and editors picks where the same.

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/game-of-the-year-awards-2017--most-promising-rpg-438.html
Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/game-of-the-year-awards-2017--best-rpg-437.html

As for me already know my three picks for both categories.

My top three picks for 2018

1st Place = Pillars of Eternity 2
2nd Place = Kingdom Come Deliverance
3rd Place = Pathfinder:Kingmaker

My top three picks for Most Anticipated for 2019

1st Place = Outer Worlds
2nd Place = Wasteland 3
3rd Place = Greedfall

I'd pick Cyberpunk 2077 as #1 but don't know if it will release in 2019.

Last edited:
Strange game. It was well liked here, but I found it tedious in the extreme. If you want to play a game that tries to emulate the middle ages, it's for you. Also, you have to be named Henry, which is just embarrassing. I just could not relate to the guy. Wanted him to die horribly :D
Seconded. Tedious is a great way to put it. I couldn't get past the first few hours.

Unrelated... I'm surprised Outer Worlds isn't on Couch's 2019 top 3.

Non sense, nobody would thread dices to decide what tags to give to a game, common, you can do better than that.

Good because the post reads nothing about throwing dices to decide what or what.

Seconded. Tedious is a great way to put it. I couldn't get past the first few hours.

Unrelated… I'm surprised Outer Worlds isn't on Couch's 2019 top 3.
Dammit I forgot about that game. No excuse though.:wall:

It will now be number #1.

Based on a few other lists next year is not a big year for big budget RPGs. Seems it's another good year for crowdfunding, and other indie games though again.:(

I would include every game that even has the slightest chance of coming out in the following/current year in the most anticipated short list.
The award ist fpr the most "anticipated" game. So it makes sense no matter if the game will actually be released or not.

So I'd include CP77 as well (though I think a release in 2019 is very unlikely).

If I had to do the filtering, I would start by removing all J-RPGs, Metroidvania-RPGs, and Roguelikes. Then I would remove anything that is an add-on or improved version. That would reduce the list with at least 20 games, but would still leave 80+ games.
The next thing I would do is check the number of news posts we have on each of the games and use that as an additional filter to get to half of the games, so some 40, which is more than enough in my opinion (with the idea that more news posts means more interest).

I haven't read this whole thread but why not just do this?

Kenshi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ZPBKi3obo&list=PLrIoJm0QOWUqI2zgIIVP8tCF2e9v7wsJG

Rimwolrd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZRIuJiZtaE

And I won't even bother quote Star Control, it's pretty obvious that Star Control 2 is a RPG.

So no steam players aren't erratic, sigh.

It's plain obvious why Rimworld didn't get the RPG tag and why Kenshi get it:
- Kenshi evokes Skyrim or some Elder Scroll and has NPC and dialogs, and a complete existing lore, not Rimworld.
- When Rimworld evokes Tropico and Dwarf Fortress, with more RPG elements through less people and more detailed stats, skills.

Weirdly, I'd be much more interested in Kenshi that seems a lot more unique, and more RPG, alas I know that the long repetitive action for work, craft or training will bore me to death.

At reverse, both Tropico and Dwarf Fortress are genres that don't appeal me anymore, but I could enjoy Rimworld, including because of its (much lighter) RPG aspects. But I'm not sure building sim can appeal me anymore. I quoted other games that seem more what I could try even if less good.

Kenshi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ZPBKi3obo&list=PLrIoJm0QOWUqI2zgIIVP8tCF2e9v7wsJG

Rimwolrd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZRIuJiZtaE

And I won't even bother quote Star Control, it's pretty obvious that Star Control 2 is a RPG.

- Kenshi evokes Skyrim or some Elder Scroll and has NPC and dialogs, and a complete existing lore, not Rimworld.
- When Rimworld evokes Tropico and Dwarf Fortress, with more RPG elements through less people and more detailed stats, skills.

Weirdly, I'd be much more interested in Kenshi that seems a lot more unique, and more RPG, alas I know that the long repetitive action for work, craft or training will bore me to death.

At reverse, both Tropico and Dwarf Fortress are genres that don't appeal me anymore, but I could enjoy Rimworld, including because of its (much lighter) RPG aspects. But I'm not sure building sim can appeal me anymore. I quoted other games that seem more what I could try even if less good.

Well, in theory you coul also play Rimworld as a nomad trible, settling and hunting here and there and do quests with your guys, which however...are kind of minimalistic to be fair.

Well, in theory you coul also play Rimworld as a nomad trible, settling and hunting here and there and do quests with your guys, which however…are kind of minimalistic to be fair.
Quest? If you mean NPC and quest, perhaps. But even then I bet that it would be like RPG and Roguelike, Kenshi and RimWorld. Kenshi looks very special, there's no Roguelike aspect, no random generated map.

I think the idea is interesting, even if it seems impossible. It's more a world sim starting from fixed background, fixed lore, and fixed towns, and so so on, and then some routines make evolve the whole and the player evolves in this world. Plus I bet triggers based on time or even player proximity.

Better not to depict them as erratic, then.

Rimworld has NPCs, dialogs and lore.
Could apply to Rimworld.

Quest? If you mean NPC and quest, perhaps. But even then I bet that it would be like RPG and Roguelike, Kenshi and RimWorld. Kenshi looks very special, there's no Roguelike aspect, no random generated map.
And? Beside, Rimworld has fixed environment. All it takes is to play the same seed.
I think the idea is interesting, even if it seems impossible. It's more a world sim starting from fixed background, fixed lore, and fixed towns, and so so on, and then some routines make evolve the whole and the player evolves in this world. Plus I bet triggers based on time or even player proximity.
Could apply as well to Rimworld.

Unless you reason it like Chien. He has a problem that rookie blacksmith in 1403. is whatever european and not some mayan refugee escaped central america from conquerers. I mean, mayans were technically advanced and their blacksmithing skills were top notch unlike silly europeans who "discovered" metal processing only a few decades back from today.

European, it meant little at the time, if nothing. People in those days did not speak themselves as Europeans. Beside, that is not the word, the word is white. The rookie blacksmith is white.
Which is not the issue: the issue is the reduction of history of various people, ethnicities to white (which did not matter in those times) As long characters are white, it is all that matters. Utterly anti historical and the obliteration of the history of all people who live in Europe.

As long as the character is white, it goes, the language spoken, irrelevant, the religious beliefs, irrelevant, the names irrelevant, can even be named Henry. Does not matter.

The product accomodates modern demand from customers, hiding behind a socalled historical dimension that is quickly forgotten to please customers selectively calls.

Better not to depict them as erratic, then.
It's you that did it, facepalm.

And no RimWorld is pretty different than Kenshi for the repetitive task, it's for a reason that first episode of Kenshi includes "2 hours later" and "4 hours later" but not Rimworld, sigh.

That you consider that hand crafted content in Kenshi is the same static design level than the procedurally generated content in RimWorld, it's too much absurdities for me, I stop here.

Back
Top Bottom