ES4: Oblivion - A Fluent Let's Play in 4K Resolution!

D

Deleted User

Hello everyone!
smiley-smile.gif

I recently decided to try my hand at modding Oblivion a bit, and I thought, "Why not make a Let's Play in 4K resolution with lots of mods running?". So, I started one!

I have many graphical mods running in this Let's Play, as well as Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, which as you may or may not know completely overhauls the level-scaling and encounter design in the game, amongst other things! So, this is going to be a BRAND NEW, fresh Let's Play that you may have not seen the likes of in other Let's Plays!

Please note, the 4K option on YouTube, at least on my end, seems a bit buggy at the moment. The videos of mine I can actually view in 2160p60 play very choppy for no real good reason. Perhaps your luck will be better, or the problem will be fixed soon on YouTube's end. I assure you that if the video looks choppy on your end, it is not my fault, but rather something strange with YouTube's 4K resolution settings.
smiley-undecided.gif

All that said, it should work perfectly fine in 1080p60, and perhaps even 2160p60.

So, I hope you enjoy! Here is Episode 1.

Hey everyone! Wow! Today's video is super exciting because it is the first episode of a new Let's Play I'm doing in 4k resolution! That's right, all of the videos of this Let's Play will be available in stunning Ultra High Def (UHD), 2160p!

If you don't have a 4k display, fear not. The videos will still be available in 1080p60, and best of all, they will benefit from being downscaled from 4k resolution, so even the 1080p video will look better than ever! Sweet!

NOTE - This video was encoded at 32,000 bitrate. In future episodes (episodes after #2), the videos will be encoded at over 50,000 bitrate. In less words, the quality is going to get even better going forward!! =)

So, in this first episode I create my character and tackle the beginning dungeon of the game. I have many mods running, such as mods to give the characters better faces and many other graphical enhancement mods! We'll explore them all in detail as the Let's Play progresses.
Let me know what you think in the comments! Thanks for watching!
smiley-sealed.gif

More information.

Not a whole lot to watch on my 4k screen so will be fun to give this a look.
Just sucks that my connection struggle to stream at lower 1080p bitrate.
Hopefully youtube won't mind me downloading it before watching.

Oblivion...that awkward teenage phase of Elder Scrolls. It seemed good at the time, but man is it inferior to Morrowind and Skyrim in nearly every way. Then again, without learning from all the mistakes of Oblivion, we'd never have Skyrim, so fair enough! But seriously...those Oblivion Gates...never again.

PS: 4k is meaningless to me I'm sorry to say since I'm rocking 1920x1080 at 120Hz. I'll take high refresh rate over 4k for now. Wake me in 5 years when 4k 144Hz gaming is here. :)

I tried Skyrim at 4k. It looks nice, but I also tried playing at 144hz and it's quite amusing. Flying animals. You have to cap the game at 60 fps or you get flying deer, wolves, etc. I literally saw one deer sort of bouncing around like on a pogo stick, then it just suddenly shot straight up into the sky and disappeared.

PS: 4k is meaningless to me I'm sorry to say since I'm rocking 1920x1080 at 120Hz. I'll take high refresh rate over 4k for now. Wake me in 5 years when 4k 144Hz gaming is here. :)

I agree. Witcher 3 at 1440 and 75-90 FPS looks way better than it does at 4k and only 40 fps. I'll take the higher framerate any day.

Can some of you who have access to a 4K display please test my videos at 2160p60? I have been having all sorts of issues with them and would like to know if they display properly and play smoothly.

Can some of you who have access to a 4K display please test my videos at 2160p60? I have been having all sorts of issues with them and would like to know if they display properly and play smoothly.

I looked at them, but none of them show up in Youtube at higher than 1080p.

Edit: Ok, there is the Gothic 2 at 1440. That worked fine for me.

I preferred Oblivion to Skyrim, in part because of the character build system.

Oblivion with obsuco's overhaul is quite enjoyable, but vanilla oblivion, damn it sucked balls. I still remember how there was this ordinary bandit highwayman asking 30 gold pieces or something while he was wearing daedric armor... Thankfully Obsucoro fixed those kind of dumb ass moments. :)

I don't think Oblivion was actually a terrible game. It was okay. What bothered me about it, though, was how over-hyped and overrated it was. Most of the reviews I saw called it practically flawless and possibly the greatest RPG of all time. Personally, I had no problem finding a whole bunch of flaws, and found the game to be somewhat dull and un-immersive after a relatively short time. The reviews however, broadly failed to even mention even the most obvious of the flaws.

On the plus side, Oblivion was the game which taught me not to trust mainstream reviews, so that's something.

Kay

I agree. Witcher 3 at 1440 and 75-90 FPS looks way better than it does at 4k and only 40 fps. I'll take the higher framerate any day.

TW3 @1440 with 75-90 FPS? Must be nice to own a super-computer. :)

Oblivion holds up well enough visually, but seeing that video reminds me of how horrible the GUI was. Without mods, it's probably the worst GUI I've ever seen in a crpg, and that's not an exaggeration.

Last edited:
The shadows on Uriel Septim VII looked exceptionally bad. I couldn't watch anymore after that.

Oh, come on. Oblivion was a great technical achievement. It deserves respect just for that!

I'd agree with that.

It's true, it had massive flaws - but as a foundation, it was truly special.

It took me quite a while to realise just how flawed it was, because I was more immersed than perhaps I'd ever been before.

Same thing happened with Morrowind, really.

Skyrim is the first TES game that I think truly worked as intended.

Morrowind was hugely flawed, but I did enjoy it anyway. In spite of its shortcomings as a game and its tendency to crash very frequently on my system at the time, I got a lot out of it. It was in fact my first fully open world RPG. I remember being so excited about Oblivion, because it looked as if it was going to fix a lot of what was wrong about Morrowind. And to some extent it did...unfortunately while introducing a whole lot of other problems.

Fortunately, in the meantime I had discovered Gothic 2, which suited my tastes far better. :)

Kay

I recently decided to try my hand at modding Oblivion a bit
Advertising the Let's Play in 4K with lots of mods and all that jazz is fine but you missed a point again IMHO (the video length being the first one…) ! Where is your Data list ? Each time I watch a good looking fully modded ES game, the main feature I'm longing for is the listing of the applied mods. That's generally missing…

Advertising the Let's Play in 4K with lots of mods and all that jazz is fine but you missed a point again IMHO (the video length being the first one…) ! Where is your Data list ? Each time I watch a good looking fully modded ES game, the main feature I'm longing for is the listing of the applied mods. That's generally missing…

Are you sure there's not a nicer way to ask for this?

He's "advertising" something he's making for others to enjoy, if they want to. Not a product to be bought.

But if you click the youtube link, he tells you how to see what mods he's using under the description.

I'm sorry but I do not know how to add ASCII art like flowers and such ! Maybe I should have quoted with ♥♥ ♥♥ to make it all look nicer ?

You could have been honest about being so petty, but it's a personal choice.

Back
Top Bottom