Monster Hunter: World - August 9th

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
For all I know it's mmo, why is it not in mmo section but in general rpg?

This hollow grinder isn't for me - or I'd have bought for one of my consoles already.

But I guess it's pretty popular among some?

Because the Steam page says single-player and multi-player.

This hollow grinder isn't for me - or I'd have bought for one of my consoles already.

But I guess it's pretty popular among some?
Last version I played was on the PSP.

I know a few members mentioned this game on other threads.

On a side note it's Co-op also I know you like Co-op Dart.
Hunt alone or in co-op with up to three other players, and use materials collected from fallen foes to craft new gear and take on even bigger,
And? Publishers can mark whatever they want there. For example says singleplayer here too, does it also mean it's not mmo:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/365590/Tom_Clancys_The_Division/
Joxer I know you hate singleplayer mmos, and I do to but others enjoy them.

On a side note it's Co-op also I know you like Co-op Dart.

Oh, I know - and I considered getting it before doing more research.

To me, it looks like an obvious asian grinder with the emphasis on endless repetition and almost 100% combat.

It reminds me a little of Dark Souls - in that it's focused on punishing combat and the fact that you have to make do with a lot of pretty terrain instead of an actual narrative or interesting content.

Could be wrong, of course - but that's my definite impression of the game.

I'd love to be wrong, actually. So I hope someone around here can set me straight.

Joxer I know you hate singleplayer mmos, and I do to but others enjoy them.
But it's not singleplayer, man. If it was, they'd probably say it's Dragon's Dogma spiritual successor or something.

How is this an MMO? I thought this was going to be single player. Huh. I hope it's along the lines of a single player game for the most part, with just basic multiplayer features…?

The last Monster Hunter game I played was for the Wii, I think? It was actually pretty cool. There was a basic story, you're the new hunter in town, and you took on quests hunting different creatures. There were a lot of items to find, sometimes from the creatures themselves, that you could use to craft new armor, weapons and the like, and combat was pretty intense. It seemed interesting but I never got that far into it for whatever reason.

And the deep water creature. F that. Super creepy.

Last edited:
I'll be keeping an eye on reviews for this one, but I know it won't be a day one purchase for me. Depends on just how deep the single player game version is, if most of the resources are for multiplayer I'll probably wind up avoiding it.

How is this an MMO? I thought this was going to be single player. Huh. I hope it's along the lines of a single player game for the most part, with just basic multiplayer features…?

It has story* co-op and post-story open-world hot-join co-op (content scale). It's 100% optional.

*note that Monster Hunter games don't have deep story, it's mostly a string of huge monsters to hunt and kill.

Instead of calling everything you don't understand a MMO why not read the description first:

Hunt alone or in co-op with up to three other players, and use materials collected from fallen foes to craft new gear and take on even bigger, badder beasts!
--
The first 'M' in mmo is massive. The second 'M' in mmo is multiplayer. Why do you repeatedly (going by comments on wasteland 3) consider THREE (3) to be MASSIVE multiplayer.
-
Can you please stop calling non-mmo mmo. It does no one any favors.

Instead of calling everything you don't understand a MMO why not read the description first:

Hunt alone or in co-op with up to three other players, and use materials collected from fallen foes to craft new gear and take on even bigger, badder beasts!
--
The first 'M' in mmo is massive. The second 'M' in mmo is multiplayer. Why do you repeatedly (going by comments on wasteland 3) consider THREE (3) to be MASSIVE multiplayer.
-
Can you please stop calling non-mmo mmo. It does no one any favors.

Have you considered that he does it to annoy people and not because he really thinks that way? :)

Not productive but it sure feels good to call out a troll for what he really is - a useless waste of space. After all instead of posting misdirects and false information he could actually post something useful.

I could go into some detail about my perception of human nature again, here - but I'll spare you - since you seem to believe I don't know what I'm talking about ;)

I'd love to be wrong, actually. So I hope someone around here can set me straight.

I've already pre-ordered it.

I've never played a Monster Hunter game but if it is by the Dragons Dogma developers then I'm sure the gameplay will be fantastic. Climbing on monsters, chopping off their horns which drop on the ground to be collected. The monsters have a lot of entertaining AI routines based on the attacks they're receiving, like shaking you off their backs or grasping their weak-point cyclops eye, stunned, while you literally break the armor off his legs.

Personally, I don't like anime, but I'm willing to look past that style to the clearly very nice animations and gameplay they help make.

This is a very AAA title and the first time a MH game has made it to PC which must have a lot to do with how well Dragons Dogma was received. So, yeah. I guess if you liked Dragons Dogma, or would have if it had co-op..... But also if you had played long enough head off to the DLC area and seen where the game becomes pure dungeon crawler and boss hunter, where you see these hints at what MHW could be like. The best bosses are never in their rooms and require some sort of bait to attract them. It's not always an item, it could be kill enough minions to enrage him or breaking the boss free from chains, etc.

Plus, joxer is right. This IS an MMO! I hope. Just one with party based content only so it doesn't lag and can do low latency feeling console action gameplay online. I hope. Similar to Dark Souls, I hope.

I don't even know how they do the network stuff. Is it peer2peer sort of thing like Dark Souls III? Dedicated servers? Anyone know?

I've already pre-ordered it.

I've never played a Monster Hunter game but if it is by the Dragons Dogma developers then I'm sure the gameplay will be fantastic. Climbing on monsters, chopping off their horns which drop on the ground to be collected. The monsters have a lot of entertaining AI routines based on the attacks they're receiving, like shaking you off their backs or grasping their weak-point cyclops eye, stunned, while you literally break the armor off his legs.

Personally, I don't like anime, but I'm willing to look past that style to the clearly very nice animations and gameplay they help make.

This is a very AAA title and the first time a MH game has made it to PC which must have a lot to do with how well Dragons Dogma was received. So, yeah. I guess if you liked Dragons Dogma, or would have if it had co-op….. But also if you had played long enough head off to the DLC area and seen where the game becomes pure dungeon crawler and boss hunter, where you see these hints at what MHW could be like. The best bosses are never in their rooms and require some sort of bait to attract them. It's not always an item, it could be kill enough minions to enrage him or breaking the boss free from chains, etc.

Plus, joxer is right. This IS an MMO! I hope. Just one with party based content only so it doesn't lag and can do low latency feeling console action gameplay online. I hope. Similar to Dark Souls, I hope.

I don't even know how they do the network stuff. Is it peer2peer sort of thing like Dark Souls III? Dedicated servers? Anyone know?

I didn't like Dragon's Dogma - too combat oriented for my tastes :)

But I'll take a look at this if you guys give enough interesting feedback!

Real impressions are a month off, I'm afraid.

I'm not one of those people who can say "I have 1000+ hours in MHxxxx on blah", though they are a good sign.

The difference between grinding and enjoying playing can be very subtle. I don't think I can tell how well done the progression is until I play.

But, yes, I can see a bit of Dark Souls style in there with the oversized weapons. MH was a game people suggested I play back before Dark Souls II came out. Dogma, too, back before it was on PC.

When you think about it, Dark Souls popularity has been absolutely fantastic for PC gaming since it got the attention of the console industry. I suspect that were it not for DS we wouldn't be seeing MHW getting a PC release.

"I didn't like Dragon's Dogma - too combat oriented for my tastes"
Well, co-op conversations didn't even make it into DOS2 so "too combat oriented" might be a good thing when co-op is the focus. But I'm not trying to convince you to like it. merely sharing reasons for my optimism for the benefit of all.

Back
Top Bottom