Fire Emblem: Fates

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Most of you are probably familiar, but you and I can scribble a bit about this one for those that might not be as familiar with the series. :)

otryyxqvpfh9nrejk8ky.jpg

Fire Emblem: Fates is the latest installment of the widely-acclaimed Fire Emblem series. Fates, like most of the Pokemon games before it, is split into two titles upon release. Birthright sees you fighting the evil kingdom of Nohr with a group of new friends, and Conquest gives you the unenviable task of fighting the evil king from inside Nohr.

It will launch on February 19 for the 3DS. (Not this "New" 3DS crap.) It will also feature your fully-customizable avatar as the story's main character.

Nintendo's official promo text says:

Two kingdoms are on the brink of war. Whose side will you choose? Torn between two families, you’re an heir of Hoshido, raised by Nohrian royals. If you choose the path of Birthright, you’ll battle the corrupted king of Nohr beside a family of strangers. If you walk the path of Conquest, you must fight to change your misguided kingdom from within. Command warriors with expert precision and forge deep relationships to master this turn-based strategy game.

In this new Fire Emblem experience for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, your customized avatar is the main hero. An army of knights, mages, archers, and more are at your command in the most tactical battles in series history. Each unit and weapon has strengths and weaknesses you must consider for every foe you face. Partner allies on the battlefield so they can support each other in combat. Building relationships is key—the closer your allies become, the better they’ll fight together. Their future is in your hands, but first you must make the most important decision in the history of Fire Emblem.

If romance is your thing, this FE game will have it - just like Awakening before it. But…this time same-sex romances are available! Conquest allows for a gay male romance, and Birthright includes a lesbian romance. As far as I know, both games include hetero relationships. Naturally, it's all optional, of course.

Another noteworthy difference is the cultural feel and weaponry of the two sides. Conquest's black-clad Nohr forces use European-style weaponry seen in a lot of traditional fantasy games, where Birthright's Noshido characters use more Japanese-feeling weapons, like katanas.

The third installment, Revelation, will launch in July, allowing both sides to join forces against the true evil mastermind behind the war.

I played a fan translation of one of the original games on SNES, I believe it was called "Thracia 777". I thought it was excellent. Since then, though, I haven't really played any other games in the series, even though I keep telling myself to do so. So many great RPGs out there that it's hard to get to them all. :)

Anyone know anything about 3DS emulation and how close we are to that??

I dunno. It looks like a lot of existing 3DS emulators are scamware, which sucks. It doesn't seem like a 3DS would be *that* hard to emulate, though? I'd love to know the answer to this too...

I dunno. It looks like a lot of existing 3DS emulators are scamware, which sucks. It doesn't seem like a 3DS would be *that* hard to emulate, though? I'd love to know the answer to this too…
I know of only one promising 3DS emulator called citra.

Link - http://citra-emu.org/
What is Citra?

Citra is a work-in-progress 3DS emulator. Citra can currently emulate, with varying degrees of success, a wide variety of different homebrew programs and commercial software.

Does that mean I can play <insert retail game here>?

Citra can, ostensibly, "play" many different games, including The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Animal Crossing. Many games, however, will not load at all, only showing a black screen. Many other games will only show the title screen and then freeze, or crash.

You can expect many games to run slowly, though, and to exhibit many gameplay and graphical glitches.

If you're interested in 3DS emulation as an experiment, you may gain something out of trying Citra, but if you're simply looking to play games then stick to your 3DS handheld.

Which platforms does Citra support?

We're pleased to say that Citra works on all three major desktop OSs!
Citra is compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows, Linux, and OS X. In the far future, mobile platforms may be targeted as well.

What kind of specs do I need to run Citra?

At this point, Citra is simply not fast enough to run most commercial games at full speed, even if your computer can run the most demanding of PC games just fine.The only hard requirement for Citra is a graphics chip that supports at least OpenGL 3.3, but you definitely want a processor with the highest possible performance per core.
Seems it's not as easy as we think as I'm waiting for a complete PS3/360 emulator also.

Geez. Well that sucks!

I guess we continue to wait...

It will launch on February 19 for the 3DS. (Not this "New" 3DS crap.)

What does that even MEAN? The New 3DS XL has faster processor and better GPU and runs everything already released … With faster load times. … ?

But I am looking forward to this - LOVE the Fire Emblem series, been a few years since I touched them!

And really ... With the 3DS costing $175 - 200 at MOST, why look for emulators that remove some of the primary functions (I.e. Touchscreen, 3D)? Is it for the ability to pirate games?

What does that even MEAN? The New 3DS XL has faster processor and better GPU and runs everything already released … With faster load times. … ?

But I am looking forward to this - LOVE the Fire Emblem series, been a few years since I touched them!

And really … With the 3DS costing $175 - 200 at MOST, why look for emulators that remove some of the primary functions (I.e. Touchscreen, 3D)? Is it for the ability to pirate games?

I just like the idea of playing all these games on my tablet. I may pick up the real thing, though, since I've heard it has a lot of great RPGs for it.

It's such a stupid, bald-faced money grab. I hate it. >.< I mean sure, okay, release your new improved system...but don't make games EXCLUSIVELY for it, you know? Like...they did that with the new Xenoblade Chronicles game. It apparently only works on the "New" 3DS.

tumblr_nxv6xx6YN11tikbzzo3_250.gif

It's such a stupid, bald-faced money grab. I hate it. >.< I mean sure, okay, release your new improved system…but don't make games EXCLUSIVELY for it, you know? Like…they did that with the new Xenoblade Chronicles game. It apparently only works on the "New" 3DS.

Yeah, I get that ... But that is how these console makers work, right? Think about Sony with the PS3 and backwards compatibility - promise it, bake it into the first batch ... Then kill it.

Yeah, I get that … But that is how these console makers work, right? Think about Sony with the PS3 and backwards compatibility - promise it, bake it into the first batch … Then kill it.

Ohhhh my god. I'm still stewing over that too. >.<

I will admit that it would probably look better on the 3DS XL, but if its the same system, I don't want to buy a bigger screen and let my old 3DS go to waste. So yes, I totally get that >.<

I'm very much looking forward to this game, though. I really enjoyed Fire Emblem: Awakening. Sadly, I haven't played much beyond that, though I've heard lots of positive reviews from past Fire Emblems.

Back
Top Bottom