Antiquity Studio - Siege of Plataea

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Antiquity Studio have announced a new game called Siege of Plataea. The game is set in Greece during the early stages of the Peloponnesian War.

Siege of Plataea

What is this game?

The Siege of Plataea is a CRPG set in Greece during the early stages of the Peloponnesian War. The goal is to have real-time exploration and turn-based combat. Party mechanics will also be included. It is extremely important to me that the game be faithful to the primary source material and bring the old texts to life with meaningful C&C. It would be better that this game not exist at all than that it make a mockery of the period.

What happened at Plataea? Why set the game there?

Plataea is a town in Boeotia, which is the region immediately north/north-west of Attica (Athens). As the Peloponnesian War was starting to break out, Thebes (the most powerful city in Boeotia) conducted a surprise raid on Plataea and seized the town.

Despite initially submitting, the Plataeans soon organised secretly by digging holes through the walls of their houses and gathering together. They then launched a night-time counter-attack against the occupying force. The urban warfare ended with almost every Theban dead or captured.

Putting aside the political/diplomatic details, the captured Thebans were ultimately executed en masse. When general war broke out shortly afterwards, Plataea found itself in a very bad position - it was a land-locked Athenian ally stuck in Boeotia, and Thebes was a major Spartan ally. Sparta initially offered Plataea terms of neutrality, but Plataea refused and was placed under siege. Before the siege began, however, Plataea evacuated most non-combatants, and admitted a force that was sent from Athens.

The siege itself was a prolonged affair. Sparta and her allies ultimately enclosed the town within a double-wall fortification (like we later see at Syracuse and with Julius Caesar at Alesia). A large number of battles took place, and ultimately Plataea was starved out and surrendered. Those Plataeans who had not previously escaped were executed following a brief trial. The town was essentially destroyed and the region used for other purposes, while many of the surviving Plataeans found a new home at Athens.

This is the perfect setting for a number of reasons. First, although the Peloponnesian War is a popular and rich subject, there are only a handful of games with this setting. Second, a prolonged siege provides plenty of opportunity for combat and intrigue. Further, because Plataea admitted a force from Athens, and the besieging force itself was from a number of different cities, I have freedom to include a very broad cast of characters. On a practical level, staging a game during a siege means that I can cut down on the number of locations, too. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for me to allow the player to explore the entire Hellenic world during this period. However, a siege is narrow enough that I can provide a great deal of detail without getting burnt out or over budget and turning the project into vapourware.

What makes this game special?

- As with Theseus: Journey to Athens, this game will be strongly rooted in the primary source material. The theme is more than skin-deep; this game should make you want to pick the classics up again and reread them. To improve on Theseus, this game should include tool-tips or some other method of easily providing citations and other helpful information.

- Strong Choice & Consequence gameplay. As seen in Theseus, the player's decisions will have an impact on how the story progresses. A protracted siege provides a number of opportunities for player input. From day-to-day decisions of how to conduct raids on enemy siegeworks, to greater decisions such as whether to enter a conspiracy to surrender the town.

- Unique character development/skills system. "Magic" and other abilities will be rooted in pre-socratic philosophy, poetry, and religion. You could be a fighter whose constitution is buffed by learning a few lines of Tyrtaeus, or a more intellectual sort who gains some power over the elements by studying Empedokles.

- Fresh turn-based combat scenarios that strongly reflect the siege theme. A long siege provides all sorts of combat possibilities. For example, the player might find himself engaging in tunnel warfare as the enemy attempts to undermine the town wall. Or you can join an ad hoc fire brigade and try to stop the enemy from burning the town to ash.

Progress -

This game is still in the planning and early development stage. I do not have a working demo to share with you, or sufficient assets or code to make a meaningful video. I would still like to share something, though, so here is an example of a character that I am currently working on:

Eurymachus, Son of Leontiades

Eurymachus.jpg

[...]

Happy New Year
More information.

If that character portrait is any indication it seems the developer is hoping to improve the visuals of his next game. I have to admit, the dated graphics (and lack of combat animations) is probably the main reason I haven't bought Theseus yet. It's on sale for ~$4 right now so maybe I should...

This could work out to be a decent combination, having the exploration be real time and the combat as turn based. I've also not taken the plunge on the Theseus game as it seemed to be more of a story/point and click endeavour, but I could be wrong about that. In any case, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

I was just coming to post this in the old Theseus thread, and I saw you made this thread already! Thank you, and Happy New Year!

This could work out to be a decent combination, having the exploration be real time and the combat as turn based. I've also not taken the plunge on the Theseus game as it seemed to be more of a story/point and click endeavour, but I could be wrong about that. In any case, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

The old Theseus game was the same way - real time exploration and turn based combat. The mechanics, user interface, and engine were all very weak, though. I got a lot of positive feedback for the story and Choose Your Own Adventure gameplay in Theseus, but there was a lot of room for improvement elsewhere. So that is my current focus.

If that character portrait is any indication it seems the developer is hoping to improve the visuals of his next game. I have to admit, the dated graphics (and lack of combat animations) is probably the main reason I haven't bought Theseus yet. It's on sale for ~$4 right now so maybe I should…

The art style will indeed be different in this new game. It is in a whole new engine and will be 3d. My main focus is really on improving the engine and gameplay mechanics, as I think that was the biggest problem with Theseus. The hope is to combine what people liked from Theseus with a much better combat system and character development/inventory function. If I can make something vaguely resembling Age of Decadence / Dungeon Rats in terms of exploration and combat, I will be very happy.

The art style will indeed be different in this new game. It is in a whole new engine and will be 3d. My main focus is really on improving the engine and gameplay mechanics, as I think that was the biggest problem with Theseus. The hope is to combine what people liked from Theseus with a much better combat system and character development/inventory function. If I can make something vaguely resembling Age of Decadence / Dungeon Rats in terms of exploration and combat, I will be very happy.

Sounds good. And of course gameplay is way more important to me than graphics.

Back
Top Bottom