Witcher 3 - Interview @ GameStar

Certainly, but they probably start out with an auto-generated topology mesh with a simple ground texture - and then they start modifying terrain and adding detail. I would expect landscape software to add natural areas of desert/snow/vegetation as well - according to whatever parameters they care to set.

It's the only feasible way to accomplish the kind of mass they're talking about, and I think that's all good.

But it takes A LOT of time and resources to generate assets for meaningful content, not to mention creating setpieces/cutscenes for balanced quests with C&C and planning ahead for the voice-overs and so on. That's not something you just add with an editor at will.

Even simple things like placing chests and mobs has to fit into a larger whole of balanced exploration, and I hope we're not talking about randomly placed stuff - because then size or numbers mean next to nothing.

Even simple things like placing chests and mobs has to fit into a larger whole of balanced exploration, and I hope we're not talking about randomly placed stuff - because then size or numbers mean next to nothing.

I could be wrong, but I thought I recalled CDP claiming that loot in the game world would not be randomized in TW3.

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking twisting my memory…

You ain't wrong, I did say that they have massive amounts of content and they are building areas around those, because I was told so. Plus they know fairly well how the areas should look in general and where they'll be in relation to each other from world maps of Sapkowski's world.

It's okay if you don't believe me, and this early the size of a build should probably not be taken as hard currency. Nonetheless, it made me excited.

You ain't wrong, I did say that they have massive amounts of content and they are building areas around those, because I was told so. Plus they know fairly well how the areas should look in general and where they'll be in relation to each other from world maps of Sapkowski's world.

It's okay if you don't believe me, and this early the size of a build should probably not be taken as hard currency. Nonetheless, it made me excited.

Of course I believe you, why wouldn't I?

There's a difference between hyperbole and possible miscommunication and then being a liar.

I'm simply stating what I believe to be impossible - just like I don't believe you can simulate a human brain perfectly at this point in time.

If someone told you they could and you told me they told you - then that doesn't mean you're lying. You're just not aware that it's bullshit ;)

I think we've gone far enough from the original subject, but let me just say that I never said I was told what they could do. I was told what's been already done.

Besides, the Witcher 2 was not that big when it comes to world size. I'm guessing 35xW2 world is smaller than say, Skyrim. Now that should not be a good example of 'meaningful' content for me, but close enough.

I think we've gone far enough from the original subject, but let me just say that I never said I was told what they could do. I was told what's been already done.

Besides, the Witcher 2 was not that big when it comes to world size. I'm guessing 35xW2 world is smaller than say, Skyrim. Now that should not be a good example of 'meaningful' content for me, but close enough.

I don't think we'll get closer to understanding each other, so you're probably right ;)

I thought Soulbane was quite clear in what he was saying.

If only I had your level of insight ;)

I thought it was clear too, which is why I said it was impossible. It seems he might have been saying something else, though - but it's hardly worth harping on.

Basically, I respect and admire CDPR - and I was trying to avoid excessive hyperbole - because that will only serve to disappoint people when it's released.

3x the actual content of TW2 would be fantastic - and I think we'd all agree with that.

Soulbane made it sound like they've been adding so much content that they had enough for 72x the area of TW2 - which can only be possible if the content is simplistic or auto generated.

If people expected what amounts to 72 or even 35 times the amount of content in TW2 - we'd have to hear whining upon release.

I'm trying to stay realistic - so shoot me.

Even CDPR can't walk on water and those who expect the to will only have themselves to blame for the disappointment.

I'm not sure why open world games should have enourmous content density throughout the map. I think it's perfectly fine, if sometimes I have to run on horseback for 2-3 minutes, before reaching the next special location. It actually feels more realistic to me. It's a little bit unnatural to have some special location behind every corner. It's fine to have actual wilderness in an open world game, I enjoy it when I have to travel to reach a new place.

I'm not sure why open world games should have enourmous content density throughout the map. I think it's perfectly fine, if sometimes I have to run on horseback for 2-3 minutes, before reaching the next special location. It actually feels more realistic to me. It's a little bit unnatural to have some special location behind every corner. It's fine to have actual wilderness in an open world game, I enjoy it when I have to travel to reach a new place.

+1 on that. We are a definite minority though.

Ofcourse, too empty or generic bland content is also bad, well worse actually (i.e I 'd rather have a game with the density of Gothic 1 rather than generic procedurally generated content ala Daggerfall much as I liked it and spent a ton of time on it back in the day)…

Well 2-3 minutes on horseback might be stretching it a bit but I definitely get what you are saying…

P.S Bethesda achieved a pretty good ratio in Skyrim imo to give an example of what I consider a good balance...

Last edited:
Well, running on the horse should be entertaining in itself. Which means the landscape design must be interesting, and atmospheric. I actually find the landscape design in Skyrim really dull. But Gothic's and Risen for example had really good landscapes.

Gothic 3 has a really low content density, probably a good 10 times lower than Skyrim. but I thought traveling (For the first time) from one town to the next was more interesting than in Skyrim, because wilderness was designed in a more interesting manner.

Of course you don't want to travel the same roads back and forth endlessly - the thrill is gone after the first journey. But that's another issue you can solve in designing the game. Don't force the player for such repetition. I don't see any reason why so many quests demand you to travel to the other side of the map, which is typical of Skyrim. More localized philosophy in quests would also be more realistic, IMHO.

Nope, completely disagree on Skyrim.

I had a lot of criticism for bethesda especially for Oblivion but I think they found their stride on Skyrim both on the world Building and overall design and location density. Definitely more character and individuality per location also. A much more hands on treatment this time around obviously.

The Gothics and Risen #1 had amazing worlds and its a tribute to PB's design chops that they managed to cram so much content is so little space without breaking immersion and harming atmosphere. Its how good they are at vertical design also that made it feasible. No other game really did that for me though (other than Dark Souls of course). Generally speaking less dense is necessary for the design to breathe.

Very much agree on Gothic 3 though, and that is what I had in mind when saying that we are in the minority. People found it way too empty. I found it a step towards the right direction. It really needed more content at places though and some more character on some of what there was, as it was a step down from their previous efforts in the end. Still love it.

Finally I completely disagree on the localization of quests and I have no problem traveling between locations. I want to have additional chances to explore, soak in the atmosphere and get a sense of the world. (Exploration is a major factor for me and its nice to have a plausible cause to do it). Not go through once and forget it! what is the point of an open world then ?! Ofcourse balance needs to be kept again and overdoing it is sure to become boring naturally...

It is a good idea to create some device that will eventually (I prefer it to not be available from the start and that the player has to work and explore some for it) allow the player to zip around the landscape. No fast travel though. Make it part of the game in some way. Travel by silt strider? carriage ? teleporter stones ? bonfire warping ? all work pretty well for me as long as they are made available after mid game at least…

Nope, completely disagree on Skyrim.

I had a lot of criticism for bethesda especially for Oblivion but I think they found their stride on Skyrim both on the world Building and overall design and location density. Definitely more character and individuality per location also. A much more hands on treatment this time around obviously.

The Gothics and Risen #1 had amazing worlds and its a tribute to PB's design chops that they managed to cram so much content is so little space without breaking immersion and harming atmosphere. Its how good they are at vertical design also that made it feasible. No other game really did that for me though (other than Dark Souls of course). Generally speaking less dense is necessary for the design to breathe.

Very much agree on Gothic 3 though, and that is what I had in mind when saying that we are in the minority. People found it way too empty. I found it a step towards the right direction. It really needed more content at places though and some more character on some of what there was, as it was a step down from their previous efforts in the end. Still love it.

Finally I completely disagree on the localization of quests and I have no problem traveling between locations. I want to have additional chances to explore, soak in the atmosphere and get a sense of the world. (Exploration is a major factor for me and its nice to have a plausible cause to do it). Not go through once and forget it! what is the point of an open world then ?! Ofcourse balance needs to be kept again and overdoing it is sure to become boring naturally…

It is a good idea to create some device that will eventually (I prefer it to not be available from the start and that the player has to work and explore some for it) allow the player to zip around the landscape. No fast travel though. Make it part of the game in some way. Travel by silt strider? carriage ? teleporter stones ? bonfire warping ? all work pretty well for me as long as they are made available after mid game at least…

I have to completely agree with the above ;)

When someone so sensible keeps harping on how good Dark Souls is - I guess I really have to give it YET another shot!

I have to completely agree with the above ;)

When someone so sensible keeps harping on how good Dark Souls is - I guess I really have to give it YET another shot!

Just make sure to keep in mind what I really feel (as often discussed) that the game's strengths are (we all tend to be taken on certain elements and some things just wont capture everyone in the same way. Also different tolerances for extreme design elements) ;)

Wouldn't want you to waste your time and money on my account ( or curse my name when DS pisses you off :D ) ;)

Just make sure to keep in mind what I really feel (as often discussed) that the game's strengths are (we all tend to be taken on certain elements and some things just wont capture everyone in the same way. Also different tolerances for extreme design elements) ;)

Wouldn't want you to waste your time and money on my account ( or curse my name when DS pisses you off :D ) ;)

If the game isn't the second coming, I'm going to have to deal with you later ;)

Back
Top Bottom