Venetica - NA Release in January

Dhruin

SasqWatch
It turns out Atari has picked up the distribution for Venetica in North America, with the release in January. Here's the PR they sent over:
ATARI ANNOUNCES NORTH AMERICAN RELEASE OF VENETICA
Best-Selling German RPG to be Released in January 2011 for Xbox 360,
PlayStation®3

Los Angeles ­­- CA, November 30, 2010 – Atari, one of the world’s most recognized publishers and producers of interactive entertainment in conjunction with Rombax Games, today announced the North American release date for Venetica, the visually stunning role-playing game. With a cryptic storyline and mix of action and adventure, Venetica will make its North American debut on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC in January 2011.
Venetica takes players through a unique and vibrant world full of surprises. Set during the 16th Century in the beautifully rendered city of Venice, Venetica is a visually stunning, action-RPG with an extraordinary and immersive storyline. Players navigate through a vibrant world in a quest to rid the city of danger.
Assuming the role of Scarlett, a young beautiful woman, players explore the streets and canals of Venice to rid the city of a dangerous necromancer. Equipped with an arsenal of weapons, Scarlett is the only person who can stop them from destroying the entire living world.
In Venetica players traverse through the city of Venice to conquer a host of nightmare creatures in action-packed battles using the “Twilight World.” With easy pick-up and play controls, gamers use 3D map architecture allowing for multi-dimensional gameplay. Dynamic day and night cycles allow for a truly unique atmosphere as players progress throughout the game.
“Following the successful German launch, we look forward to introducing North American gamers to the world of Venetica,” says Bob Spellerberg, VP of Sales and Distribution at Atari, Inc. “With breathtaking graphics and a rich and unique narrative, Venetica offers RPG fans an action-packed adventure into a dark and evil world.”
Published by Rombax Games, distributed by Atari and developed by Deck 13, Venetica will be available in January 2011. For more information, please log onto www.veneticausa.com
More information.

Not for PC ? I think this speaks volumes, so to say … about Atari, mostly.

Not for PC ? I think this speaks volumes, so to say … about Atari, mostly.

Venetica will make its North American debut on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC in January 2011.

Read further into the release

Venetica will make its North American debut on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC in January 2011.

Read further into the release

Thats true but can you blame him.Most us publishers only care about the console side of gaming.

Thats true but can you blame him.Most us publishers only care about the console side of gaming.

Like Fable 3 being postponed for the PC? I think they want to make money on the console versions before the PC pirates get a hold of it (their opinion, not mine)

Yeah! Fantastic!

Me happy. :)

Like Fable 3 being postponed for the PC? I think they want to make money on the console versions before the PC pirates get a hold of it (their opinion, not mine)

Got a source for that? I don't really care either way..I'm patient and they're optimizing it.

Got a source for that? I don't really care either way..I'm patient and they're optimizing it.

No I don't have a source I just feel PC users often get second rate products. Remember when Halo was a PC exclusive? Or how about Alan Wake? I don't fault developers for going with consoles if it will keep a roof over their heads and there are plenty of games that can keep us occupied but c'mon why didn't they optimize it prior to the console release?

No I don't have a source I just feel PC users often get second rate products. Remember when Halo was a PC exclusive? Or how about Alan Wake? I don't fault developers for going with consoles if it will keep a roof over their heads and there are plenty of games that can keep us occupied but c'mon why didn't they optimize it prior to the console release?

You didn't know we are second class citizens in the gaming world.Piracy plays a problem but there are just more customers on the console so piracy does hurt them as much.Microsoft has there own little pc in a box and can charge what they want for people to use.

Well, as we recently discovered we have a few of those PC pirates right here. Can't blame publishers for holding back PC versions when simultaneous releases cost them console sales. Especially if you're one of said pirates.

To say that most publishers only care about the console side of gaming is quite silly. All publishers primarily care about the money making side of releasing games. Console releases are more profitable, for various reasons. Piracy is just one of those reasons.

Well, that's partly true, but there's plenty of pirates on consoles too. I took a programming class in college several years ago during the Xbox 1/ps2 era and there was a group of guys who were offering everyone in the class a chance to hack their xbox at a pretty low price, install a bigger harddrive, and be able to get download and install games for free, and about half of the people (50 people in the class) did it. So it definitely exists on consoles. Is piracy more prevalent on computers? Probably, and it likely does have an effect on PC sales.

But I think the reason why there are more sales on consoles has several factors, including the fact that PC gamers tend to be more informed on which games they are willing to buy. PC gamers are far less likely to just say, "That game looks awesome, and even though I haven't seen any details about the actual game, I'm buying it anyway!" or "This game's getting a lot of hype, so I'm buying it without looking into it for myself!"

In addition, consoles are cheaper and more "user-friendly" for the uninitiated gamers, meaning that there are more people who own consoles now. The people who are never exposed to more in depth games, like the ones for PC, might never know what they are missing out on, or they might play a "hardcore" game for the first time and decide that it's too difficult and go back to more straightforward games such as Halo or Assassin's Creed.

Basically, I don't think that there's any one reason why console games sell better than PC games, and I really don't think piracy is the only issue.

No its not.Piracy is used as an excuse more than ever from companies.Games sells terribly blame the pirates.Want a title on the pc sorry blame the pirates.Piracy is a problem but its not the major reason why developers scoff at the pc.The funny thing is piracy is rampart on every game system ever released.Its company's that cant admit they made a terrible and dont want to port or make a pc version.Every game game out there is made on a pc then complied to work on the consoles.Theres no reason not to see a pc copy.In the end a stated its all about the money and the people who are willing to spend more on the consoles.

Well, this for sure does encourage to download warez version, since it's been out for a quite sometime, all over the world, but still it's not available if you want to pay for it. :(

Well, this for sure does encourage to download warez version, since it's been out for a quite sometime, all over the world, but still it's not available if you want to pay for it. :(

Since you're in Europe it's easy to get your hands on a legal english version of Venetica. I bought it here: http://www.shopto.net/

It cost me a total of £18, shipping included - cheaper than a new release here. And 3 or 4 days later it arrived in my mailbox in Copenhagen. I find it very hard to complain, and there is certainly no need, or valid reason, to pirate it :)

This console vs. PC pirating discussion … Here in Germany the PC still is relatively "big" (although this fact is largely ignored by for example Gamestop), so, this market acts a little bit differently. People might still be angry here that consoles get preferred, but "the inustry" just doesn't bother, because for them the biggest market is the one that counts - and this is the English-language international market. So it's relatively easy to ignore several countries, cynically put. It is as if the major publishers coming from he US try to impose the US market mechanisms on other countries' markets.

I played and finished Venetica's scene release version five months ago and last week I bought the boxed version from a UK site. Standart DVD box and a manual. But pretty cheap (13 sterlin) for a game like that. I recommend that to everyone who likes Fable or other TPS-RPG hybrids. But only PC version, just stay away from the Xbox 360 version. It suffers greatly from framerate issues, outdoor areas lag like hell.

When the hell is DTP going to go with the times and open a download shop? Right now, the only options to get certain games of theirs in my shithole of a country are to pirate them or to import them. I really hate importing, as it can be a serious hassle. Other "little guys" can do it just fine, look at Deep Silver. Even some developers like Larian have their own webshops (i did buy Dragonknight Saga through Larianvault as a matter of fact).

As far as I understood it, a game sold from within a commercial platform like steam cannot - so appears to me their philosophy - be sold to another company as a retail distributor anymore.

I played and finished Venetica's scene release version five months ago and last week I bought the boxed version from a UK site. Standart DVD box and a manual. But pretty cheap (13 sterlin) for a game like that. I recommend that to everyone who likes Fable or other TPS-RPG hybrids. But only PC version, just stay away from the Xbox 360 version. It suffers greatly from framerate issues, outdoor areas lag like hell.

Hi! I'm just playing Xbox360 version of venetica and maybe my expectations are extreme low but I haven't felt disturbing lags and framerate issues. Some of my impressions of X0 version are here -> http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12173

Back
Top Bottom