Gamescom - Things To Do, Stuff To See

I'll just ask to please prioritize / focus on the smaller developers as much as possible. Frankly, we don't really need more coverage of the big publishers as there will be a hundred articles about those games… and they're sure to release irritating teaser trailers and tedious announcements of upcoming announcements.

The indies need coverage more & IMO deserve it more.

I'd also be interested in hearing from Piranha Games.
Actually, only interested in Mechwarrior 5. Hope they dont delay that again… :>

If they are there… no clue how to check that.

I'll just ask to please prioritize / focus on the smaller developers as much as possible. Frankly, we don't really need more coverage of the big publishers as there will be a hundred articles about those games… and they're sure to release irritating teaser trailers and tedious announcements of upcoming announcements.

Maybe but I don't see it that way.:biggrin:

Joking aside were both biased with different views about games. I like to support indies, large developers. RTwP combat, while you support indies, and turn-based combat.

Nothing wrong with that so no offense meant.:)

Maybe but I don't see it that way.:biggrin:

Joking aside were both biased with different views about games. I like to support indies, large developers. RTwP combat, while you support indies, and turn-based combat.

Nothing wrong with that so no offense meant.:)

Well, of course I'm biased. But in this case I'm not just saying "only cover the games I'm interested in", I think it's more interesting to cover games that won't be covered much elsewhere than the ones that will certainly be covered elsewhere ad nauseam.

For example, even though I don't think all of the hype is warranted, I'm definitely interested in Cyberpunk 2077. However, there's no need for extra CP coverage as we all know we can enter it into a search engine & get a bunch of articles with the latest news tidbit. But if I want to find out about an indie I might be limited to the developer's own website and maybe an interview at the Watch or some other niche site if I'm lucky.

I just read how Logic Artists said (as of last Fall) that they did not even break even with Expeditions: Viking, and that makes me sad. That is a great game (which certainly had some problems with launch but LA did their best to fix bugs quickly) and I'd hate for it to be the last Expeditions game. I'd love to see their studio grow to at least Obsidian / Larian size, so yeah if they're announcing a new game at Gamescom I want to hear about it far more than whatever over-hyped rubbish Bethesda or EA/Bioware is working on. Ideally we can have both but…

Given the choice I'd rather see news about Black Geyser than CP2077 even though Geyer's not something I'm really interested in personally. Of course we don't know how many smaller developers will even be at Gamescom anyway. I'm just saying priorities should be the indies.

I just read how Logic Artists said (as of last Fall) that they did not even break even with Expeditions: Viking, and that makes me sad. That is a great game (which certainly had some problems with launch but LA did their best to fix bugs quickly) and I'd hate for it to be the last Expeditions game. I'd love to see their studio grow to at least Obsidian / Larian size, so yeah if they're announcing a new game at Gamescom I want to hear about it far more than whatever over-hyped rubbish Bethesda or EA/Bioware is working on.

Yeah that Expeditions: Viking sold terrible makes me sad. I know the Steam link wasn't accurate but I remember quoting the numbers in another forum thread.
Expeditions: Conquistador - 130,612 Expeditions: Viking - 81,722
Was a reason given for the low sales? Any info on the new game right now?

Yeah that Expeditions: Viking sold terrible makes me sad. I know the Steam link wasn't accurate but I remember quoting the numbers in another forum thread.

The developers mentioned that bugs in the initial release & review copies certainly did not help, but probably the main issue was their limited ability to get publicity for the game.

However, the good news is they managed to find investors for their next game, so at least they won't go bankrupt. They haven't revealed what their next game will be, other than (I think) saying it will be an RPG. I just hope the disappointing sales for Viking don't prevent them from doing another Expeditions game as there aren't many developers doing historical based (non fantasy) CRPGs.

Whoever you decide to visit is more than fine with me. You have good taste :)

I do have a soft spot for Larian so whatever you glean from them would be appreciated.

Enjoy the show.

I'm assuming you are giving current numbers for both. If so, Conquistador came out 4 years earlier than Vikings. Games always sell a lot more over time. I'd bet 4 years of sales likely accounts for most of that difference, if not maybe even all.

The latest RPG from Spiders.

Thanks Potato. It does look interesting. I'll keep a lookout for it.

I'm assuming you are giving current numbers for both. If so, Conquistador came out 4 years earlier than Vikings. Games always sell a lot more over time. I'd bet 4 years of sales likely accounts for most of that difference, if not maybe even all.

Yes, they may account for the difference, but it's still very low...

Yes, they may account for the difference, but it's still very low…

Yeah it was the leaked Steam numbers from a few weeks back, but not 100% accurate.

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40189
Thanks Potato. It does look interesting. I'll keep a lookout for it.
It's one of my most anticipated RPGs for next year. The setting intrigues me and the promise of having no fetch quests make it more interesting.

So here's hoping it lives up to the hype.

Last edited:

I prefer visiting the smaller developers. They are fare more interesting to interview and their presentations are less scripted. I don't really like visiting the big ones, especially because a lot of what they show is scripted to death, with often little to no room for questions. Besides that, it takes me too long to prepare the articles, so everything I wanted to write has already been written, as you also noted.

I have a soft spot for Larian, as they are great and I have been in touch with them for over 15 years. Also CDPR are a nice bunch to work with, so even though I do not consider them to be small developers, I do plan to visit them (although I do not know if Larian is going to be there)

1C is publishing these titles that are labeled as RPG:

Deep Sky Derelicts (PC) - an original combination of turn based strategy and RPG, enriched with tactical card combat and popular rogue like elements. Explore derelict alien ships, fight, loot and upgrade your gear, all in distinctive retro futuristic comic book aesthetic style.

Eternity: The Last Unicorn (PC, Xbox One, PS4) - inspired by tales from Norse Mythology and the mechanics of classic games. A fully featured Action RPG including leveling up, multiple playable characters, item collection and hours of gameplay.

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark (PC) - a turn-based tactical RPG with a focus on storytelling and strategic battles. Unfold a mature story as you progress through hand-crafted scenarios, controlling your own group of Arbiters, with each character customizable from a wide selection of classes and abilities!

That's a freaking shame! Viking was an incredible game, but certainly was hurt a lot by game-breaking bugs upon release.
Dunno where these numbers come from, but Conquistador was sold in bundles a lot.

That's a freaking shame! Viking was an incredible game, but certainly was hurt a lot by game-breaking bugs upon release.

And horrible balancing. And the whole timer discussion (timer wasn't actually that bad but communicated badly).

Anyways, would also like to know if they have anything new to offer and I also agree on checking out smaller devs. Might also be a good idea to just check the indie booth for anything interesting and maybe even the retro area.

Eternity: The Last Unicorn (PC, Xbox One, PS4) - inspired by tales from Norse Mythology and the mechanics of classic games. A fully featured Action RPG including leveling up, multiple playable characters, item collection and hours of gameplay.

Just watched the trailer. Looks like something I'd like to play - according to my personal taste, of course. ;)

Last edited:
I have a soft spot for Larian, as they are great and I have been in touch with them for over 15 years. Also CDPR are a nice bunch to work with, so even though I do not consider them to be small developers, I do plan to visit them (although I do not know if Larian is going to be there)

Myrthos, could you "smuggle" few questions for them? I mean some serious - maybe about future project(s) - and some funny question(s). :)

Back
Top Bottom