Lost Sphear - Like Chrono Trigger

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The J-RPG Lost Sphear will be released on January 23, 2018. PCGamesN has written a preview:

Lost Sphear is the Chrono Trigger remake I've been waiting for

I did not know games like Lost Sphear were still allowed to be made. Perhaps that says more for my tastes over the last few years than the actual development efforts of the world’s RPG studios. But look, if it wasn’t for the distinctive name, you would easily mistake Lost Sphear for being a remade SNES classic. Beyond that however, Lost Sphear manages to modernise what it mimics in the best way possible - it exploits the simple art style and retro aesthetic to make room for more systems, more characters, more options, and simply more everything.
[...]

There are still elements I would like to see improved before the January 23 release date - it is the 21st century, we should be able to buy new gear, equip it, and sell what it replaced all in the same menu, thank you very much - but Lost Sphear is looking very promising. If I am able to find the time for another massive JRPG in my life, this one is top of my list to check out.
More information.

FYI: the previous game from Tokyo Factory (I am Setsuna) "borrowed" Chrono Trigger's battle system, but the story and ambiance was entirely different.
While Chrono was cute, cheerful, and eventually somewhat serious, Setsuna is utterly bleak from the get go, one of the most depressing games I've ever played.
And yet, it works. This drastic change in tone gives the game its own identity and I love it.

Let's hope that Lost Sphear does the same.

And yet, it works.
You sure?
I've never played nor seen any of those two games. There is also no chance for me to buy the third "unique genre" entry. Why?

From what I could understand, in times of past, a whatever gadget existed that had whatever controls type. These controls from what I could understand werent keyboards, keypads, mice nor mushrooms but whatever else. And then someone made a game combat system that works perfectly with such controls.

Times have changed.

I've asked numerous times and have yet to get a definitive explanation. Please school me on what the attraction is with these games featuring Tweener super heroes. They all appear to be post-toddler and prepubescent, about 7-10 years old. I just don't get it. I can see kids this age playing such games, but anyone over 12? Really? Really?

I've asked numerous times and have yet to get a definitive explanation. Please school me on what the attraction is with these games featuring Tweener super heroes. They all appear to be post-toddler and prepubescent, about 7-10 years old. I just don't get it. I can see kids this age playing such games, but anyone over 12? Really? Really?

They are all above 14, they are just drawn in somewhat "chibi" style where they look younger. The attraction is to follow the coming of age of the characters and their struggles as they go through the game. It appeals to quite a few people.

They are all above 14, they are just drawn in somewhat "chibi" style where they look younger. The attraction is to follow the coming of age of the characters and their struggles as they go through the game. It appeals to quite a few people.

Sorry, still not feeling it.

Back
Top Bottom