Witcher 4 - A Prequel Starring Ciri?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GamePressure reports on a rumour from a reliable source who states that the Witcher 4 will be a prequel starring Ciri.

Some few days ago, anonymous sources revealed to us the plans of the studio, and made it clear on the occasion that she was the team' favourite from the very beginning of work on W4. Reds are convinced that The Witcher must have a distinctive protagonist and Geralt's step daughter - in their opinion - is perfectly suited for this. Even if we remember about Cirilla's enormous powers, which made her an unstoppable killing machine in Wild Hunt, the devs have allegedly found a way to make it work. As the source reports, the action of the new game is supposed to take place before the events told in The Witcher 3, and that means that The Witcher 4 will be a prequel!

Let's be honest here, the idea itself sounds quite interesting. Given such a premise, the new game could not only focus more strongly on the events described in Sapkowski's books (we remind that recently both parties signed a new cooperation agreement), but also fill in the empty gaps left in Ciri's resume by the writer. Under no circumstances should we be concerned about the gameplay, as despite Ciri's aforementioned extraordinary powers and skills in wielding a sword, we could simply be developing them from zero up to the level known from The Witcher 3. Yet another interesting idea would be to lead the plot of The Witcher 4 to the starting point of Wild Hunt, including the development of her relationship with Avallac'h, but these are only our loose theories.

[...]
More information.

I was afraid they might do something like this. :-/

I hope it turns out to be just a rumour and nothing more. I'd much rather they did something more original than a prequel with Ciri.

giphy.gif

If by "more original" you mean making your own witcher and plopping them down in the world with minimal backstory (an assumption I based on comments I've seen here in the past), there's nothing original about that.

If by "more original" you mean making your own witcher and plopping them down in the world with minimal backstory (an assumption I based on comments I've seen here in the past), there's nothing original about that.

I mean more original than the generic and overdone prequel route. Even most fanboys should be able to agree with that.

I don't see anything negative or uncreative whatsoever about a prequel.

A prequel as Ciri could be a good game. I would think (and would hope) that there would be the usual-for-RPGs build-up from someone not very powerful at all so that there would be a sense of character/gameplay progression.

I don't see anything negative or uncreative whatsoever about a prequel.

There isn't. A prequel isn't really anything defined, except that it takes place before something else. When you make a game in a series, you really only have two choices.

He just likes to argue, and if possible, throw in passive aggressive barbs.

I was curious to see what they would do with a powered up, post W3 Ciri... it would be diffcult to balance, but it would have been an interesting challenge. But it makes too much sense to do a prequel, I suppose. Both because of the easier road to giving it normal RPG power progression, and also because Ciri is supposed to have gone through quite a lot.

When I was a kid, I loved legos. In particular, I really REALLY loved the Classic Space sets. It's not that I don't care for modern day legos… I've had a blast building Star Wars, Marvel, and Harry Potter themed lego sets with my kids. But those lego sets from the past with themes created by the Lego company were special and different and I remember them fondly.

What does this have to do with games. Well, I have really enjoyed my time with games like the Witcher series and Divinity series for example. However, what I really crave from these very talented people is something original from them. Their own creation, their own universe.

I acknowledge that the Original Sin series games are in fact original, it's just that I thought these games were going to be the prelude to Swen's often talked about RPG of all RPGs.

Also, I understand we are getting a new original IP with the new Cyber Punk game coming from CD Projekt Red, but I'm hoping for such a creation in a fantasy setting. So it's a small disappointment that they might be making yet another Witcher game, though I'm sure it'll be top notch.

Back to Larian… a few years back I was thrilled to hear Swen talk a lot about making the "RPG of All RPGs" using Ultima 7 as a spiritual guide. I figured the Original Sin series did a good job of making them a stable developer financially. I was hoping after D:OS2 that maybe they'd start developing their own IP for the "RPG of All RPGs." So it was a disappointment that once again a developer will be using another IP for their game. Like the next Witcher game, I'm sure BG3 will be a good offering nonetheless.

I just miss that Galaxy Explorer though, so much…

There isn't. A prequel isn't really anything defined, except that it takes place before something else. When you make a game in a series, you really only have two choices.

He just likes to argue, and if possible, throw in passive aggressive barbs.

That's funny because you're the one who responded with the sole intention of being argumentative.

Where do you get that there are only 2 choices when making a game series?

That's funny because you're the one who responded with the sole intention of being argumentative.

Where do you get that there are only 2 choices when making a game series?

Every single response you have ever made to a post of mine has been argumentative. Usually nitpicking, often just for the sake of arguing with no decent point to make.

Narratively speaking, when you make a second game, it can be a prequel or it can be a sequel. I suppose there are really 3, as you could also set it during the same time but from a different perspective, but that's exceedingly rare. Can't think of one off the top of my head. Of course some series are series in only a nominal fashion and are completely unrelated to each other, like Final Fantasy games, and then it doesn't apply. But that's not going to be the case with The Witcher.

Every single response you have ever made to a post of mine has been argumentative. Usually nitpicking, often just for the sake of arguing with no decent point to make.

Nice projection there. No, I think you're just easily triggered, especially when it comes to things you're fanboyish about. It's hard not to notice you're like that with pretty much anything that has to do with CDPR.

Narratively speaking, when you make a second game, it can be a prequel or it can be a sequel. I suppose there are really 3, as you could also set it during the same time but from a different perspective, but that's exceedingly rare. Can't think of one off the top of my head. Of course some series are series in only a nominal fashion and are completely unrelated to each other, like Final Fantasy games, and then it doesn't apply. But that's not going to be the case with The Witcher.

Not sure why you would say it has to be a sequel or a prequel when there are so many examples that are neither. It could simply be in the same world with different characters and a different story arc. You even contradict yourself by providing an example. Whether or not that ends up being the case with The Witcher is irrelevant.

Yeah, yeah prequel bad, but on the other hand: Ciri spent her time between the books and the games warping to other dimensions (ours included), litterally travelling at will in space and time.
CD projekt are ambitious devs and they could make a great game with such a concept.

Can't think of a more predictably dull way to take the series.

Who gives a toss about Ciri? She was about as interesting as a wet hadock.

Real lame

I recently (finally) played all the way through W3 and the DLCs. Enjoyed them tremendously. But I'm pretty much done with that universe. I was really, really ready for the game to wrap up by the end of the second DLC.

That's not a criticism of the world, or the writing, or the characters. All good things must come to an end. Think of all the great literature throughout history. Does Moby Dick need a sequel or a prequel? Or any other great book?

I guess this just shows that I'm not a business genius. And maybe in 5 years when this game gets released I'll be looking for more. But I'm just tired of sequels, prequels, reboots, remasters and such.

Death by Nostalgia.

Under no circumstances should we be concerned about the gameplay, as despite Ciri's aforementioned extraordinary powers and skills in wielding a sword, we could simply be developing them from zero up to the level known from The Witcher 3.

No need to worry about that because it cannot be worse than TW3 :D

I don't mind a prequel starring Ciri, I liked her. I do think it'd be a lot of fanservice to do that, though, and has a very high potential of not meeting the expectations.

But honestly, next Witcher game has a very high potential of not meeting expectations anyway, because it won't be following a well written script based on a best-seller book, and take numerous "licenses" very prone to screw it all up ala Game of Thrones.

A Ciri prequel is fine. Something completely different (in the Witcher universe) would have been better. One thing is for sure, in does NOT have to be better and bigger than TW3's world (or cyberpunk).
@TheMadGamer; as far as i know cyberpunk is no original IP either.

I don't see why an universe cant be used multiple times. It's there, people know the lore (kind of), the monsters, etc. It only has benefits for both players and devs. Telling the same story, reusing the same characters is a whole other story.

Back
Top Bottom