Need a new CRPG to play, PC

sairane67

Traveler
With Solasta and BG3 still being in EA, and after having 200+h in each, I need new CRPGs to play. :)

At least, until Solasta and BG3 are no more in EA, and Zoria, Pathfinder:WotR, Realms Beyond, Dark Envoy and Mortal Shell are released.

CRPGs I like are: Divinity OS, OS2 and 2, Dragon Age: Origins (and 2+3), BG 1+2, Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity 1+2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Drakensang 1+2, Solasta, Fallout 1+2, Expeditions: Viking, Disco Elysium, Planescape: Torment, Torment: Tides of Numenera, The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk

Not CRPGs, but great games I love, too: Dragon's Dogma, Greedfall, Soulsborne, Gothic 1-3, Risen 1-3

I like high fantasy, magic and dragons. Not too much into steampunk or SciFi, except Fallout (I'm sorry XCOM, Shadowrun and Wasteland). I'm not a fan of most modern "RPGs" - like Skyrim, The Witcher, etc. - since the most important aspect of an RPG to me is the freedom to roleplay whatever I want, as well as choice and consequence. I like "playing as me" when I play an RPG, and I like when party members as well as other NPCs react to my decisions. I like customisability and deeper mechanics/skill trees. I'm not a fan of pure dungeon crawlers. I like games where you're just another person nobody really cares about and who wants to build their adventure, instead of 'the Dragonborn' or 'the chosen one' right away. I don't care about whether RTwP or TBC. I prefer grim, dark, gritty themes over light-hearted, sillier ones, as it gives me that feeling of seriousness.

I would love to hear your recommendations for a new game.

I've also seen many people advertise their games on this sub, and since I'm bored, feel free to recommend yours as well, if it matches my criteria.

Well I'd love to help but you consider Dragon's Dogma, Greedfall, Gothic 1-3, Risen 1-3 not CRPG's. So unless your basing this on the old tabletop logic it just doesn't hold up.

Then you go on how you don't like any modern RPG games like Skyrim, The Witcher, and probably Cyberpunk 2077. My opinion is you severely limited the options to recommend.

So sorry not many I can recommend for your limited/strict tastes.

Welcome to The Watch, sairane67.

Have you tried ELEX yet? It's a blend of fantasy, Sci-fi, and post-apoc, so it's not for everyone, but it's very similar to Gothic and Risen in the mechanics and atmosphere. It's also pretty heavy on the "dark and gritty".

You could try out the Might and Magic games. The earliest one's I would recommend are M&M3 and M&M 4 and 5 known as World of Xeen. If you don't want to go that early 6, 7, and 8 are all good also. Graphically they are not whiz bang but they have plenty of build choice and are combat heavy. You can create your own characters if you want or go with the defaults.

I did not see it mentioned in your post so I'll also recommend Icewind Dale 1 & 2. Lots of fun and combat in the vein of Baldur's Gate.

I'm pretty sure I saw the exact same post on reddit - I recommended Neverwinter Nights then and I will recommend it again here :)

Hordes of the Underdark is great amongst the "official" release but there are tons of hall of fame fan made modules that are even better. Highly recommend the Aielund Saga series module :)

I picked up Kingdoms of Amalur recently and enjoyed that for about 150 hours. I'd call it RPG lite, but your character is whatever you want to make it.

I'm pretty sure I saw the exact same post on reddit - I recommended Neverwinter Nights then and I will recommend it again here :)
I second that, Neverwinter Nights is a great cRPG. I still have the Diamond Edition from Bioware but I think it's not available anymore, though it runs very well on PC. You'd have to take the Enhanced Edition and I believe BeamDog has just improved the graphics in the latest patch.

And cherry on top, it's -75% on GOG or Steam (not that it'd be very expensive anyway) :)

I'm pretty sure I saw the exact same post on reddit,
I bet a 95% chance this is a bot or one time poster who will never return. Seems we have many who join just to ask one question in the last few years. Just like the polls.

My Codex warning light is going off as well. Very similar to a what is a CRPG topic.

Very active today..

https://www.google.com/search?q=sairane67

sairane67 | Boat Design Netwww.boatdesign.net › members › sairane67
10 hours ago — sairane67. New Member from USA. sairane67 was last seen: 57 minutes ago. Information · Recent Activity · Postings. About. Location: USA. Current Boats: ...

sairane67 - Members - openmediavaultforum.openmediavault.org › Dashboard › Members
18 hours ago — sairane67 Beginner. Member since Nov 28th 2020. Last Activity: An hour ago. Posts: 1; Points ...

About sairane67 - Virgin Media Communitycommunity.virginmedia.com › viewprofilepage › user-id
sairane67. Just joined. Name: Signed up: 27 November 2020; Website: Posts: 1; Kudos: 0; Helpful answers: 0. Oh hello! See all. Latest Posts by sairane67 ...

sairane67 | Paladins Forums - Hi-Rezforums.hirezstudios.com › paladins › user › sairane67
1 day ago — sairane67. @sairane67. 0. Reputation. 1. Posts. 1. Profile views. 0. Followers. 0. Following. Joined 41 minutes ago Last Online about an hour ...

About sairane67 - McAfee Support Communitycommunity.mcafee.com › viewprofilepage › user-id
sairane67. Level 7. Ice Breaker. First Post. I Heart Community. View all badges · McAfee Support Community; : About sairane67. Latest posts by sairane67 ...

sairane67 - OnePlus Communityforums.oneplus.com › members › sairane67.3768942
12 hours ago — sairane67 is a Cupcake at OnePlus Community. ... sairane67. sairane67. Last Activity 12 minutes ago 1 Messages 0 Likes Received 1 Experience Points ...

About sairane67 - MEDION Communitycommunity.medion.com › viewprofilepage › user-id
1 day ago — About sairane67. since ‎27.11.2020. ‎27.11.2020. sairane67. Newcomer. 1. Post. 0. Kudos. 0. Solutions. First Topic. Kick Off. View All.

Bah, at worst, it may interest other people. At least there was no survey to fill in, this time :lol:

I'm not entirely sure what they get out of this, is that just a side-effect of intense boredom? Or a failed experiment after reading an engaging book on big data?
Is that supposed to boost sales?

How could you play Solasta for 200+ hours? I enjoyed the game but it's in EA and is maybe 20 hours long if you do everything. That's playing a new group 10x. That would drive me nutty.

I'm not entirely sure what they get out of this, is that just a side-effect of intense boredom? Or a failed experiment after reading an engaging book on big data?
Is that supposed to boost sales?

My guess with this one is it's a bot that copies legit posts from Reddit, and uses them to make plausible-looking posts in forums to get past restrictions for new registrations, then brings in spam links as soon as it can.

I'll jump on the recommend train also and suggest any Might and Magic games. You just cannot go wrong with any of them, load up via great old games or steam and play them all, says I.

My guess with this one is it's a bot that copies legit posts from Reddit, and uses them to make plausible-looking posts in forums to get past restrictions for new registrations, then brings in spam links as soon as it can.
That would make sense, it's quite evil :) But there's a CAPTCHA and you have to identify the images containing such or such feature, at registration, so that would make it difficult (unless it has been cracked somehow and the bot can identify the images).

Which makes me think.. Normally, newly registered users shouldn't be able to start a thread, at least that's what I was told at the beginning (I've removed some details):
As a spam protection measure, newly registered members have their first posts moderated[..]. While these first posts are not yet approved a new member cannot start a new thread nor edit their own posts. In addition your access to your profile will be restricted.
That should have prevented those recent fake threads, which would be a good protection against those schemes.

That would make sense, it's quite evil :) But there's a CAPTCHA and you have to identify the images containing such or such feature, at registration, so that would make it difficult (unless it has been cracked somehow and the bot can identify the images).

Which makes me think.. Normally, newly registered users shouldn't be able to start a thread, at least that's what I was told at the beginning (I've removed some details):

That should have prevented those recent fake threads, which would be a good protection against those schemes.

The bots now have all sorts of options for solving CAPTCHAs, from AI recognition to farms of human solving services in poor countries, that provide a simple API for the bot creators. Google "captcha solver service". They're not much of a barrier anymore.

When it comes to first posts here, I think your first post can be a new thread (this one seems to be), and if it's a copy of a real post on a related Reddit, it'll probably get approved. They're cunning little buggers.

Back
Top Bottom