Coronavirus (No Politics)

Dwayne Johnson, too. (Terribly ironic if he lost his sense of smell.)

Sir-Tom.jpg

This morning I received a leaflet which was claiming that the recent lockdown is a government measure to take control of people and that we are heading to a Fascist state. Also this was a program to mind control people and it started 10 years ago. My question is not whether it is right or wrong but are other people getting similar communications? It is using the "civil liberties" arguement. Just curious to see if it's a Brit thing.

Personally, Sleepingdog, I think we've just existed the fascist part for the first time in four years. Time to construct some bridges, and forget about walls.

Remember I mentioned a vaccine by a local company I live by would get released at the end of the year? So Boom drop the mic I was correct you owe me a beer TXA.

Link - https://apnews.com/article/pfizer-vaccine-effective-early-data-4f4ae2e3bad122d17742be22a2240ae8

It's 90% effective.
Personally, Sleepingdog, I think we've just existed the fascist part for the first time in four years. Time to construct some bridges, and forget about walls.
Till 2024 at least.:p

Last edited:
You live in NY, couch?

This particular vaccine is also monumentally difficult to distribute; it requires refrigeration at -103 degrees Fahrenheit and two doses are required three weeks apart. I think your manufacturing numbers are off btw.
Pfizer has estimated it could have 50 million doses available globally by the end of 2020, enough for 25 million people.

You live in NY, couch?
Close but no I live in Connecticut right by the Pfizer Testing Center & Lab.
This particular vaccine is also monumentally difficult to distribute; it requires refrigeration at -103 degrees Fahrenheit and two doses are required three weeks apart. I think your manufacturing numbers are off btw.
Probably is but other news sites said only 1-2 million doses. Maybe they mean it's all they can make right now, but will ramp up production by the end of the year?

This morning I received a leaflet which was claiming that the recent lockdown is a government measure to take control of people and that we are heading to a Fascist state. Also this was a program to mind control people and it started 10 years ago. My question is not whether it is right or wrong but are other people getting similar communications? It is using the "civil liberties" arguement. Just curious to see if it's a Brit thing.

I haven't had anything through the door, but I'd say there's a few of them around in every area. I saw a coffee shop the other day with a sign up saying "no masks allowed", due to it all being an exercise in government mind control. I didn't go in, on account of my preference for not having my coffee brewed by loonies.

So it's a Brit thing! I remember way back when Aids was the next plague. There was a man in Birmingham (UK) who knowingly infected a dozen women or so - he was sent to prison. Makes you wonder.

Good news on the vaccine but I don't expect a dose until late 2021. It also seems that other vaccines are following a similar path. Still hope I am not one of the 10% for whom the vaccine doesn't work. Something positive to look forward to but until then it's continue with social distancing, wearing masks and washing hands. Delightful.

Yeah, it's going to be a drag for a fair bit longer, I fear. The government is clearly concerned that news of a vaccine is going to make people less cautious, when we really need to control the spread over the winter, to keep the NHS functioning safely.

Still, it is nice to have to positive news, even if there remain a lot of unknowns about the vaccine.

The government is clearly concerned that news of a vaccine is going to make people less cautious,

It's the wrong thread for it, but I doubt a government that can't even control outbreaks in its own ranks due to politicized mask usage is concerned at all about that.

Drithius, I am not sure what you are really saying but I am with Ripper on this.

There's too many noisy people, in the UK, who would use this as an excuse to remove all restrictions. Second wave would become a massive problem and the NHS would sag and possibly break. The government does care but there are always a few dissenters who have electors to please, are trying to raise their profile or truly believe that covid-19 is no worse than the flu. MPs can not be ousted so easily in the UK so governments put up with their "views" provided it does not stop the business of running the country.

Saw the PM on the TV the other night - he is either a very good actor or he was sincere about keeping the downward pressure on the R number.

I think probably we've just crossed wires, here. I'm talking about the UK govt, and I think Drithius is referring to the US situation.

While there might be plenty to be said about Boris in the politics forum, and the situation has not been very well-handled, I think he does clearly accept the scientific reality, and is concerned about protecting the NHS from being overwhelmed.

Regarding the news about vaccines. Good news indeed. However, it's quite common for new medical achievements to initially be overly optimistic. There are several important issues we still don't know. So I fear that in the end success rate may turn out to be significantly lower than 90%.

In other words: this is not the time to relax.

a pibbur who hopes he's wrong.

Last edited:
Regarding the news about vaccines. Good news indeed. However, it's quite common for new medical achievements to initially be overly optimistic. There are several important issues we still don't know. So I fear that in the end success rate may turn out to be significantly lower than 90%.

True, and it's not like it's right around the corner. I read a statement from Pfizer today that said we're probaly looking at 12 to 18 months before global distribution.

We've talked about this before, how strange it is to watch movies/tv-shows these days. Seems like we're not the only ones.

set_in_the_present.png

a pibbur, who, since he's not very social see some benefits in these stay-away-from-other-people restrictions. (No, it's not worth the cost).

What, me worry?
3vdz1g.jpg

Yes, I do worry. The pandemic seems out of control, with accelerating number of infected. Of course, much of it is due to increased testing, but not all of it. Increasing number of hospitalisations and deaths indicates that there is a significant real increase in infections. Also remember that number of deaths is 2-3 weeks behind, those that die today, most of them got infected 2-3 weeks ago.

Regarding how deadly the virus is: At the moment it's difficult to get reliable data, fatality rate estimates range from 0.3% to 3%. Doesn't seem to be much compared to other viruses like Ebola and Rabies. But lets' look at the yearly number of deaths caused by infections. The infections taking most lives are lower respiratory infections, taking more than 3 million lives each year. Now, these infections are caused my many different germs. If we look at infections caused by a single agent, number 1 is (according to several sites) tuberculosis, closely followed by HIV. Tuberculosis (tenth most important cause of death overall) kills around 1.5 million people per year globally (numbers vary a bit, but on the average 1.5 million seems like a reasonable number). Other major infections like seasonal influenza and malaria are far behind.

We've had significant number of deaths from Coivid-19 since March, 1.2 million deaths in 8 months. For a whole year that would be 1.8 million. This suggests that currently the new corona virus is the single germ taking most lives globally. This is of course a result of the number of people being infected.

Admittedly, most of the deaths happen in the elderly, and those with chronic diseases. No doubt, some of those would have died this year anyway. But that has to be the minority. You can live for years with diabetes II, hypertension and cardiopulmonary diseases.

We will probably get a vaccine. But how good it will be remains to be seen. And as JDR mentioned, it may very well take more than a year before we have enough vaccine to vaccinate everyone that needs to be vaccinated.

a pibbur who is indeed worried. Well, as you probably know, it's quite normal for him to be worried (which in itself is a bit abnormal), but now he's more worried than usual.

PS. More on the number of deaths. It's a bit like deciding what is the most dangerous snake. When it comes to the potency of the venom, most agree that the culprit is the Australian (of course) inland taipan. But that one lives in areas far away from people, and it hasn't caused human deaths for years. The snake taking most lives is the saw scaled viper. Its venom is only 10% as lethal as that of said inland snake, but it causes more deaths than every other snake combined. Unfortunately it lives in high-population areas like India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka and therefore human-snake interactions are much more common. DS.

Last edited:
A good analysis, as always, pibbur!

It's not the most contagious disease out there - measles and chickenpox spread even more easily. But - it's able to spread pretty fast if you let it run rampant (especially as, unlike for measles and chickenpox, almost nobody has immunity due to either vaccination or previous exposure).

It's not the most lethal bug out there - MERS, SARS, Rabies, Ebola… there are plenty out there that are way nastier. But - it's far from harmless.

It's the combination of both that makes it pretty scary.

Back
Top Bottom