Gamedec - Review @ Gameffine

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gameffine checked out the Cyberpunk-RPG Gamedec - thanks Yemeth:

Gamedec Review :: The Good Cyberpunk RPG

The number one comment whenever I look up the community posts of Anshar Studios' Gamedec is, "please don't be like Cyberpunk 2077". Well, it's not like one has anything to do with the other. Aside from the common cyberpunk setting, Gamedec is nothing like Cyberpunk 2077. One is an open-world action game with RPG elements, and the other is a focused detective RPG without a combat system. So people mistaking Gamedec to be a traditional open-world combat-heavy cyberpunk can stop reading right now. Now, with that out of my system, let's talk (spoiler-free) about Gamedec.

[...]

Real Talk

Gamedec is a short but highly enjoyable detective RPG with unique locations to explore, crimes to solve and a shitload of lore to absorb. The choice-driven story, along with the chance to explore meta digital worlds makes Gamedec a must-buy. If you've played the demo, then you'll get a few more hours of that exact experience with the full release.

[...]
More information.

Haven't read it yet, but it only got 58% on PC Gamer. Might still be good, but I had higher hopes.

I don't like to shit on fellow reviewers but the reviewer for PC Gamer was playing on an early build that resulted in the bugs he mentioned as well as the localization issues. The devs dropped a patch (I think last Friday) that fixed most, if not all the technical issues mentioned in the review. I believe it was also mentioned in the review guide what was missing in that particular build but I guess you can't blame the guy for finishing the game early hehe

I'm still interested despite the brevity, but the timing is bad, and I feel like it's a bit overpriced for what it offers. I'll probably grab it down the line during a sale.

I'm still interested despite the brevity, but the timing is bad, and I feel like it's a bit overpriced for what it offers. I'll probably grab it down the line during a sale.

Looks like the game has bad regional pricing. Sadly, this wasn't revealed during the time of review

It is 30 € in Germany and the Steam reviews are not many, but pretty good.
With Pathfinder being very long and Encased and Atom RPG Trudograd already waiting in the wings, this game will be postponed by me. Likely something for the Christmas Steam Sale.

Haven't read it yet, but it only got 58% on PC Gamer. Might still be good, but I had higher hopes.

Hi guys, Matt from Anshar indie company here. We know that PC Gamer didn't go soft with the game - they played the pre-release build for the last two weeks. In two weeks a lot can happen and we've made sure to use this time as much as we could. Yesterday we delivered the launch patch which fixes almost everything Fraser was referring to [bugs, localization issues].

With the review keys, we attached a document with a list of things we will fix on the release with the newer build, but he reviewed what he got and we cannot blame him.

There were outlets out there who reached out for support and the info about the state of the game and we were helping them almost 24/7 [like GameStar from Germany] and you can see it in the review [not just the score]. What we can ask is to check the Metascore and look at how different reviewers see the game before making any decision.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/gamedec

Looks like the game has bad regional pricing. Sadly, this wasn't revealed during the time of review

indeed, this costs 75% of how much cyberpunk 2077 is in my region, its almost 4 times more expensive than valve's suggested price; 5 times more expensive than encased for example, so yeah good luck with the sales lol
anyway will probably be in a bundle in the near future

That's why I rarely rely on early reviews, other than to give a feeling of what the game is. I take critics' scores and opinions with caution in general, they have their own agenda and personal preferences.

Hi guys, Matt from Anshar indie company here.
Yesterday we delivered the launch patch which fixes almost everything Fraser was referring to [bugs, localization issues].

Hi, Matt. Yeah, some bugs were mentioned on more sites. I remember something about music problems (won't stop after dramatic scene) or main hero siting in the air instead of on the chair etc.

Anyway there is out one hugely positive review that gave the game SCORE 10/10!

The review is NOT in english so most of you wont understand a thing but its true (the review is here if you dont believe me).
You can see the score at 12:00 - they even said:

"That is how Cyberpunk 2077 should look like" :)

They praised heavily:
- the story and its outcome (and different endings)
- many details and consequences of your actions and the fact that you will encounter NPCs from first cases later so the story is not like "detective simulator" with completely separate stories. On the contrary they liked a lot that its tied together.
- good-looking and very varied locations with different criminal cases which were all interesting.

Also some details about backstory of Gamedec world:

Not surprised it's probably an European review so once again Eurojank for the win. Man I'm having flashbacks from all the Gothic and Risen game reviews once again.

As US reviews were harsh and European ones praised them.:biggrin:

indeed, this costs 75% of how much cyberpunk 2077 is in my region, its almost 4 times more expensive than valve's suggested price; 5 times more expensive than encased for example, so yeah good luck with the sales lol

That's nuts. Encased and Gamedec are the same price over here. If anything, Encased should be more.

Not surprised it's probably an European review so once again Eurojank for the win. Man I'm having flashbacks from all the Gothic and Risen game reviews once again.

Yeah, its European review.

As US reviews were harsh and European ones praised them.:biggrin:

I didnt check it, but I assume that developer and game are quite unknown for US media so some of them were not interested to play "unknown isometric indie junk that looks like from Kickstarter" and gave it lower scores.
I wonder which type of players spread this stupidity... Its especially ridiculous that ppl who talk about "eurojunk" are able to hype and play each year some FIFA and sports crap, CoD or generic open world etc.

I didnt check it, but I assume that developer and game are quite unknown for US media so some of them were not interested to play "unknown isometric indie junk that looks like from Kickstarter" and gave it lower scores.
I wonder which type of players spread this stupidity… Its especially ridiculous that ppl who talk about "eurojunk" are able to hype and play each year some FIFA and sports crap, CoD or generic open world etc.
Indie or simply atypical. Here it seems to be simple impatience because of an early build that had a few problems, which must have confused the author even more in a game that was not streamlined enough for him to apprehend.

I'm avoiding PC Gamer more and more, the quality of their article is mediocre, they don't do their research properly and rush to publish, which leads to the wrong conclusions more often than not. And then there's their fan base which is trollish at best. It's just a bad ecosystem.

Back
Top Bottom