Kingmaker - Review @ Gamebanshee

What do you think is the reason for that? Is it because the timers are forcing people to push forward at a faster pace?

No, I don't think the timer is the issue. It's a bit complicated:

I lost experience for not finishing all available quests. Some of it is due to bugs (the quest won't progress), some due to spending too much time on kingdom system (I suppose you can say timers are the issue, but I could have been a little more lax with the kingdom management and explored more instead), and I chose not to do any side quests in the final dungeon of chapter 6 because…. the level design there is absolutely atrocious. It was tedious, rage-inducing, and unintuitive (the whole place involved throwing same overpowered mobs again and again, coupled with stupid trial and error type of puzzles).

I also I heard that XP sharing isn't working correctly and people may lose out on some experience - but I can't confirm if its true or not.

I think in this chapter the main problem (next to the repeating tough mobs) is that you most likely will not be able to play with your default party. I am lucky that I can. (But just because I reloaded an earlier save and completed another companion quest.)

Still my biggest complaint is the kingdom management.
The general concept is that you have to do tasks which can fail or succeed.
By failing your stats decrease and by suceeding your stats increase and thus the success rate for later tasks increases as well. If you at some point fall behind (by bugs or mistakes) it's hardly possible to keep up. The tasks will be too difficult to solve. So it's hardly possible to rectify the situation. Your kingdom will die which means game over when you haven't the appropriate option activated in the settings. That's quite uncommon for RPGs und imho bad design.

Did you finish the game as well, @Morrandir; ?

Yeah, I couldn't play with my optimal party, lost one to well.... quest design choice.

As far as I know, if you want to romance Tristian, you will fail Amiri's timed quest

No, I'm not finished yet.
After loading the earlier save I wanted to solve the Magical Prison quest which I have some problems with.

I'm positive though that I'll beat the Wild Hunt mobs. I managed to beat the first 2 or 3 without special preperation. However I didn't went in underleveled. I'm 16 or 17 now.

As far as I know, if you want to romance Tristian, you will fail Amiri's timed quest
I don't know of the romance but I know that you can solve both Amiri's and Tristian's companion quests so they'll both stay in your party.

No, I'm not finished yet.
After loading the earlier save I wanted to solve the Magical Prison quest which I have some problems with.

I'm positive though that I'll beat the Wild Hunt mobs. I managed to beat the first 2 or 3 without special preperation. However I didn't went in underleveled. I'm 16 or 17 now.

I don't know of the romance but I know that you can solve both Amiri's and Tristian's companion quests so they'll both stay in your party.

I haven't finished the magical prison quest. I wasn't sure what needed to be done. Good to know the solution now though, thanks for the link.

Are you in chapter 6?

I could have beat the wild hunt too, with enough patience and planning but after what seems like endless number of them, I gave up and lowered the difficulty.

Regarding the companion quest:

Can you let me know how you can resolve both Amiri and Tristian's quest? I was told I have to finish BF first in order to continue the romance with Tristian. By the time I went for HoR, it was too late, Jamadi's force was slaughtered and Nylak was already dead

I haven't finished the magical prison quest. I wasn't sure what needed to be done. Good to know the solution now though, thanks for the link.

Are you in chapter 6?
I had been in the House at the Edge of Time but reloaded to an earlier save before entering. Is that chapter 6? I somehow lost track.

Regarding the companion quest:

Can you let me know how you can resolve both Amiri and Tristian's quest? I was told I have to finish BF first in order to continue the romance with Tristian. By the time I went for HoR, it was too late, Jamadi's force was slaughtered and Nylak was already dead
Well, I just went to the Barbarian camp first and to Tristian directly after that without getting sidetracked. Both Amiri and Tristian are available as party members. However I don't know if going after Amirir first has an impact on Tristian's romance.

Thanks for the reply.

I had been in the House at the Edge of Time but reloaded to an earlier save before entering. Is that chapter 6? I somehow lost track.

Yeah House at the Edge of Time is chapter 6. Then I don't think you've seen the worst of the Wild Hunt yet - I HATE that place.

Well, I just went to the Barbarian camp first and to Tristian directly after that without getting sidetracked. Both Amiri and Tristian are available as party members. However I don't know if going after Amirir first has an impact on Tristian's romance.

When you encountered Tristian in the Abandoned Keep, was Nyrissa there? If not, Tristian romance won't continue.

When you encountered Tristian in the Abandoned Keep, was Nyrissa there? If not, Tristian romance won't continue.
Yep. I did the same as Morrandir. Hurried to the Barbarians, saved Amiri from the camp, finished the battle, and went straight to Tristian, where Nyrissa made her evil-mwahaha-I-lied reveal.
Edit: My party was waddling for a huge part of that though. Timers you know! Waddle onwards my friends. Waddle!

Yeah House at the Edge of Time is chapter 6. Then I don't think you've seen the worst of the Wild Hunt yet - I HATE that place.
Uh, ok…

No, she wasn't there. Just one or two defaced sisters.
So it's really suceeding in Amiri's companion quest OR romacing Tristian. Terrible design. :(

Edit: So either I somehow was not as fast as Maylander or I just don't remember Nyrissa being there. Is there a video of that sequence?

Wait, @Maylander;

So you actually saw Nyrissa with Tristian?? Because it sounds like Morrandir didn't. Is this using the newest patch? Or maybe your game was bugged in a good way??

Ok, that's it. My party is going to waddle too then! MARCH DAMNIT.

Edit: @Morrandir;

As far as I know of companion quest:

It only matters if you romance Tristian. Something about he thinks you don't value him as much since you delayed coming to him.

Previously, if you complete HoR first and attend to BF late (and not see Nyrissa with him), then his follow up personal quest won't trigger - but it doesn't seem that way anymore (fixed). Did you complete Tristian's last personal quest? It's called Saving Grace

Last edited:
It only matters if you romance Tristian. Something about he thinks you don't value him as much since you delayed coming to him.

Previously, if you complete HoR first and attend to BF late (and not see Nyrissa with him), then his follow up personal quest won't trigger - but it doesn't seem that way anymore (fixed). Did you complete Tristian's last personal quest? It's called Saving Grace
I did, at least. Felt a bit bad about convincing him to stay after being redeemed, but he's a valuable advisor. I figured he can still became a deva again afterwards. Seems like a forgiving godess. At any rate: I'm not sure if the romancing part would still have been an option though, as he could still have pointed out that I did something else first. I doubt it though, as everything else has progressed the way you explained.
And yes, waddle on! March! Haha.

Yep, I did. He "regained the grace of his lady".

Ok, definitely going to try the waddle method.

Lucky you guys, don't think you will lose anyone then. I'm sad for my lost companion!!!

Oh well. Review first, then time for another run...

Also guys, didn't you have another thread going on with your advice how to play this game, tips and tricks?
Yep, but in this game you need a lot of tips and tricks so we need A LOT of threads. ;)

I wish the negative talk had a better and more effective impact, as buying and shelving is no good. The solution in this case would be either boycotting it altogether, or, as I think is the best course of action, waiting for the bug squashing and buying it at a huge discount. That would teach devs that the market should be consumer bound, and not company bound.

Boycotting a niche game by a small developer will probably have little to no impact on the industry. Other than putting a small developer out of business. Since I want to play the kind of game thier making this would not be a very good courses of action.

You want to make an impact? Organize a few million gamers and boycott one of the many buggy AAA games. Being very vocal that you’re boycotting because of bugs.

I want to play the kind of games Owlcat is making. So I want to support them and see them be successful. Boycotting or buying at a much reduce rate is more likely to send the message that games in this niche market aren’t worth making rather than the message to not make buggy games.

It sucks that the game is buggy but judging by the 9GB patch I’m guessing they know and that common sense tells them customers don’t like bugs. As long as they continue to support the game I’m willing to give them some leeway this time. If they release a second game that’s a buggy mess then I may have to rethink my stance.

I do wonder if more games should consider releasing the full game into Early Access, until it's fully polished. I understand why they might be reluctant to do that, but some hugely successful games, like Darkest Dungeon, seemed to do fine by going that way. I think they would still make plenty of sales to keep them going, and then there's really no foul if it's severely buggy while they finish development.

Back
Top Bottom