Dark Souls III - Why you should play it

Git gud means if you're beating a mule with a stick you should stop and try exploring other options.

Give me a specific location that you need to grind to get past and I'll tell you a better way. Seriously, go for it. Could turn into a massive discussion where you learn much.

This is what games used to be like. Couldn't work it out, you'd discuss it with people. Now games are all super accessible and all we have to talk about is our opinion of how much we enjoyed the interactive movie with skinner box mechanics.

You know how fast I got bored of Fallout4? The trash collecting simulator? Is this what RPGS are now? In Fallout2 getting the dog and powerarmour early was a Dark Souls style secret to be proud of, involving a dangerous walk to the south you probably wouldn't make on the first reload.

Everyone should be thankful that a game like Dark Souls (and fallout2:p) exists and if its anything like DS1 we're all up for a fantastic time finding all the secrets and shortcuts in 3 and sharing them online to help people who are still beating the mule.

Personally, I wish idiotic juvenile reductions of words like "git gud" would be wiped out from existence. :p

I suppose the phrase is a natural consequence of a younger meme and texting savvy generation picking up games where trial and error plays such a key role and snidely responding in kind to players unable to achieve a particular skill level. (I.e Get good!) Gah, so asinine!

Grinding to gain more stats is not an issue in DS...it requires little for it, infact. For materials to upgrade your equipment, it is to some extent, reliant.
Problem is animation transition, UI and poorly responsive enemy AI.
Trying to combine pyromancy spells with my weapon attacks was impossible in effective way...it's emphasis on sense of "weight" behind every action, cripples any attempt to create your own choreography.
And far too many enemies become easily exploitable, once you learn their patterns and tricks and do not respond intelligently to a given situation...too fast horizontal movement allows for very easy backstabs, ranged attackers shooting blindly at walls instead of repositioning, boss encounters through summons, environment and I-frames, etc...
It should be more dynamic and unpredictable and less focused on simply punishing the player . At least, that's my impression of it.

Damn it is getting expensive to be a gamer these days. 80 Dollars for the complete game, the incomplete one still more expensive than a complete game should be.
I wish we had all stopped up for a moment when they started offering incomplete games for retail price and thought "hold on, wait a minute..something's not right here.." Instead we throw money at the screen and the sensible lot is left to wonder just what the hell just happened.

Ah well, good thing I still have a large library to burn through and can pick this up at a sale later on. I'm all for supporting good titles but not when they try to rip me off.

Yep - if I see a "season pass" mentioned, that game goes on the wanted list, and stays there while I amuse myself with my backlog, until the complete edition goes on sale.

I still haven't played many of the games discussed around here, because I don't think they've reached their full and finished state yet.

Well if you look at inflation or go further and look at cost of game development then games are still a great bargain. I think gamers are just spoiled since game price remain stagnant for so long.

Heck I remember saving up $39.99 for asteroids on the Atari 2600 in the 80's. Heck when SCL came out I bought it for 39.99. I got the digital deluxe edition of Xcom 2 for 54.99 ( that's with the season pass), then you have steam and other sales.

If you factor in inflation over the years gamings actually never been cheaper.

As for season pass I think it exist because companies know that most gamers would choke if they just raised game prices to $70-80 across the board. So they have to try and sell a small bit of content for an exorbitant price to bring in the extra cash.

I personally would have no problem getting rid of season pass stuff and just have them raise prices.

Unless I missed some serious world wide economics growth boom 80 bucks is not even close to reasonable inflation. It's twice the price tag I would have paid for a game on release just a few years ago.

Unless I missed some serious world wide economics growth boom 80 bucks is not even close to reasonable inflation. It's twice the price tag I would have paid for a game on release just a few years ago.

And twice the price tag from 1980! If you want to look at it shortsightedly then DS2 was 59.99 on release plus 25 for season pass. DS3 is 59.99 on release plus 20 for season pass (25 if not bundled).

I have to agree with sakichop here. I remember paying $40 for NES games in the late 80's and $60 for some SNES games in the early 90's. I don't think we have much to complain about when it comes to pricing, especially for PC games which tend to go on sale much sooner than console games.

Guess I'm just a poor sob, there's no way I can afford these prices :/
But be that as it may, it does not justify season passes in my opinion. It's a cheap way to trick customers and it saddens me to see (presumably) great titles use these cheap shots. If we ever have to pay extra money for extra in game content it's a blatant marketing scheme and we're walking right into it without even thinking twice.

How does season pass trick us?

I don't buy many season passes but the extra content I've gotten in souls games in the past has been substantial, impressive and worth every penny imo.

It's "extra content" that you can get on release. Basically content created and finished prior to release, yet it's put in it's own little pack for extra monetary gains instead of being part of the core game as it should. The fact that people don't even question it proves how silly it has gotten.
Can the content be good? Sure, that's not the point. But this is actually part of the core game that has been taken apart and sold separately just to get that extra money off consumers.

It's "extra content" that you can get on release. Basically content created and finished prior to release, yet it's put in it's own little pack for extra monetary gains instead of being part of the core game as it should. The fact that people don't even question it proves how silly it has gotten.

The Dark souls content isn't available on release though. It's months later. I've only bought a few season passes but none of the content has been available on release.

In the case of dark souls it's been entire new areas, monsters, bosses, weapons and npc's.

I'm not talking about horse armor here.

Can the content be good? Sure, that's not the point. But this is actually part of the core game that has been taken apart and sold separately just to get that extra money off consumers.

Sorry but you have no idea when the content was made. I don't either. Could be made before release could be made after.

Count me in the crowd who just can't get into the control scheme enough to get into the game. That's my own fault, I'm old now and have to work. I don't have the kind of time to play every day, so I'll usually put an hour or two into a game to get through the intro portion to get used to controlling it, then come back to it another day to get into it the actual gameplay. That's not enough with this game; you've got to be able to put in long sessions before the muscle memory kicks in. By the time I've gotten reasonably comfortable with the controls, it's time to put it away, and when I finally get back to it it's like learning the controls all over again. Seems like a good title for folks with the time for it, though, so I'm not downing the obvious success of the series.

Back
Top Bottom