The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

fully into Abysmal Grief right now. Great funeral, clean-vocaled doom. They go from crawling pace to a nice mid-tempo, then back to a giant boulder slowly rolling onward crushing everything in it's path. Lots of church bell, organs, crazy downtuned pained guitar solos reminicent of early Slayer - totally love it!

Look at that cover, how can I not love this cd??? ='.'=

abysmal%2Bgrief%2B-%2Bst.jpg

Finally got my hands on Wall of Voodoo: Seven Days In Sammystown. I have it on a somewhat wavy piece of vinyl, which for several reasons is unplayable. A CD version have been very difficult to find (for me that means impossible, since I didn't find it). Finally I found it on ITunes. Yay!!!!

I remain on the far side of crazy

(For those of you who know them but not this version of them, observe that they are very different from what they were back then.)

Been listening to the Changelings all morning. Thanks again DT for the original referral on them, theyre great! Very soothing music, does me well after a few days in the black abyss of doom metal.

51hYAR3roJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The Best of Mississippi John Hurt (1971)
41CFBPEEBZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Country blues can´t get much better than this, this guy is awesome.
Richard Woman Blues
Sliding Delta

Los Saicos - ¡Demolición! The Complete Recordings (2010)
61w921KeX%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Garage punk´n´roll from Peru, recorded around 1965.
Demolición
El entierro de los gatos

Deathspell Omega - Paracletus (2010)
30427.jpg

One of the few recent "extreme" bands which can come up with something exciting. Compared to their previous longplay, Fas…, more post rock and maybe Voivodesque influences, more consonance and less ambient parts, overall not as great as Fas, but delivers nevertheless and is this year´s most remarkable metal release, I think.
Abscission
Devouring Famine
(most linkables sound quite like shit, for a better sounding example just search for Devouring Famine on Youtube and pick the first result to experience DSO´s maelstromish sound in full(er) glory)

Taraf De Haïdouks - Honourable Brigands, Magic Horses and Evil Eye (1994)
gapllaaco.jpg

Eclectic, richly arranged folk from Romania.
Turceasca
Briu

Killing Joke - Absolute Dissent (2010)
killingJoke-absoluteDissent.jpg

Good to hear guys are still going strong. Not their best album, but contains some great tunes, has atmosphere only Killing Joke can create and Jaz Coleman is as noninterchangeable as ever. Sound-wise it´s more-or-less return to their roots.
In Excelsis
The Raven King (personal fav)
European Super State

Last edited:
Journey? Is this as bad as my Wow confession?

Anyhow, for something slightly more …. Here are my latest acquisitions from emusic:

Awaken by prog rock band The Reasoning. Proves (in my ears) that prog is not dead. Yet. Even if Mike Portnoy have left Dream Theater.

Evenfall by the goth metal band Tristania. Monster cookie and clean vocals. Yay!, especially when it's as well done as on this album.

No worlds/no thughts from "My father will guide me up a rope to the sky", the first album in 14 years by the postpunk(?) band "The swans". I never heard about them before recently.

prog rock
Birds and Buildings - Bantam to Behemoth (2008)
cover_221892932008.jpg

These dudes have made at least one song which is fucking awesome:
Birds Flying Into Buildings
Magma, Van der Graaf Generator, Genesis, King Crimson, etc, they´re all in :).
I love this kind of rollercoasterism.

Trentemøller - The Last Resort (2006)
Trentemoeller-The-Last-Resort-Pokerflat_header_image_review.jpg

Minimal techno which at times can´t help itself but sound really good:
Take Me Into Your Skin
Into the Trees

Jonas Hellborg & Shawn Lane - Personae (2002)
41WJTM915JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This piece certainly doesn´t contribute to guitar shredding´s deservedly bad name:
Jonas Hellborg, Shawn Lane, and Jeff Sipe - Rice With The Angels

The Knife, like, totally suck.
Except for Silent Shout: An Audio Visual Experience (2007)
the_knife-silent_shout_-_an_audio_visual_experience.png

Which, at times, rocks as hell:
Pass This On

Last edited:
@DeepO : The picture of "Birds and into buildings" is - I think - from that weird flemish painter ... Uh, I've forgotten his name ... I meant one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hieronymus_Bosch

I've definitively put it onto my list ... I've just read a review, and this is exactly the kind of music I like ! :)

Journey? Is this as bad as my Wow confession?

I wish it was that good… :rolleyes:

The Knife, like, totally suck.
Except for Silent Shout: An Audio Visual Experience (2007)
the_knife-silent_shout_-_an_audio_visual_experience.png

Which, at times, rocks as hell:
Pass This On

First of all: I disagree. The Knife has made a lot of good (if never exceptionally good) music. Different taste and all that.

Second: I've never heard of Silent Shout: An Audio Visual Experience. Is it a show? I must check this out...

Übereil

First of all: I disagree. The Knife has made a lot of good (if never exceptionally good) music. Different taste and all that.

Yeah, well, I was kinda grossly exaggerating there due to being … socially tired from weekend activities :).
An AV Experience was first released as a live DVD (+videoclips) in 2006, concert´s audio was released on CD next year.

The Knife (I mean the name) sounds as if their founders were Genesis fans. ;)

The Knife (I mean the name) sounds as if their founders were Genesis fans. ;)

Until you listen to them and realize they sound nothing like Genesis at all.

The Knife is a good song though.

Übereil

I like Stagnation more. ;)

After 40+ years of listening to music I thought I was set in my ways a bit and my favorites well established and on solid ground. Then I come across these guys and my expectations and convictions are blown all to hell lol

One of my "now" personal favorite bands of ever…

If not familiar with doom/folk/death metal's style of vocals, they will probably sound a bit harsh at first lol Give it a chance and let the music and melodic sound just wash over you…don't try and pick apart every word, simply try and listen to the song/s as a whole…if that makes sense :)

Enjoy / hopefully

Insomnium - Equivalence

Insomnium - In The Groves of Death

Do check out the lyrics…pretty amazing! (imo)

Insomnium - The Killjoy

Insomnium - The Elder

"And as the light still lingers, painting scarlet this barren scene
An old man sings his song of melancholy and relinquish..."

amazing

Last edited:
thanks for the recommendation Roland, I'll have to check them out. They sound like theyre along the early Katatonia lines. Some of my favorite in the doomy melodic death type stuff. This is one of those bands that totally morphed and changed their sound in later releases, so you'll get this sound in Dance of December Souls and Brave Murder Day, but after that it's on to the "new sound" which I dont care for quite so much.

Gateways of Bereavement
In Silence Enshrined
Without God

thanks for the recommendation Roland, I'll have to check them out. They sound like theyre along the early Katatonia lines. Some of my favorite in the doomy melodic death type stuff. This is one of those bands that totally morphed and changed their sound in later releases, so you'll get this sound in Dance of December Souls and Brave Murder Day, but after that it's on to the "new sound" which I dont care for quite so much.

Gateways of Bereavement
In Silence Enshrined
Without God

Perfect reference :)

Brave Murder Day is one of my favorite albums!

And I agree, their tone and style has changed over time…and I too prefer their earlier work but can enjoy the new as well. (I do like the "My Twin" tune)

Another group that I really like that you might not of heard of is Agalloch. A US band out of Oregon…though their sound would make you think otherwise heh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agalloch

Here's a few links to give to an idea. I absolutely love their work…amazing musicians and artists in general imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3ZYhu6h8k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfhUfEPCBU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQHQsxvW5b4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ih3JVrRPE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuPz7cMD3qs&feature=related

That should give you a good taste of their style. The new album is a tad bit less melodic and more of a heavy sound…but there's enough of the old there, and I guess it would get boring to keep making the same exact sounding albums lol

But I do miss the old drummer ;)

Let me know what you think, would love your opinion on them.

Regards,

Roland

Had this put in front of me. Pleasant surprise. The linked song sounds like it came right out of X2 (the game). Kinda dreamy electro.

"The Violet Flame" by X_ray

Back
Top Bottom