What games are you playing now?

I'm up to 4 games now, which has me rather uncomfortable since I'm usually a monogamous gamer. The games are all filling different roles at different times, so it's not like I'm doing an orgy, but I'm definitely playing the whore. :)

DDO
Eschalon2 (finally started it, and slowly chipping my way thru)
Plants Vs Zombies (for the quick hit)
Etrian Odyssey 3 (DS, playing mobile and when the Wild Dogs hog the PC)

Motoki: Sure it's possible, i did some simple retextures for my own personal use. People have retextured complete games before, but it's a lot of work.

Fnord: if you have bluetooth on the computer you can use the wii controllers on PC, that's what i do, works great, even the wii mote works in games like Mario Galaxy.

I own a Wii, so I really don't have any need for a Wii emulator, for anything other than imports, which I might consider once I get myself a new computer (this thing set me back just under 400€ (-cd drive, case, harddrive & screen) back in early 07, so it should really get retired soon. It was not great when i bought it, and I would not push the poor thing too far these days.

Still, it would be nice to set it up as an experiment. No bluetooth though :( Oh well, something to look for in my next computer.

Finished (first run through) of DX:HR and very impressed! Loved the feel, art and yes the gameplay and actual game!
Going back to Dragon Age II mainly playing the expansions so the quest & area repitition isn't as obvious and also new banter between henchpeople. Still dissapoints me (a lot) but enjoying it as relaxation.

I bought a big box copy of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast from a junk shop - never even heard of it before but it was 2 bucks - and it's fantastic! It looks great on my Geforce2 / CRT setup and the game play, audio, cutscenes, puzzles are all really well done. I've gotten many enjoyable hours out of it already and only just gotten to the point where I regain my Jedi powers - currently searching some ruins for my old light saber.

I'll have to go back and check out the dark forces series from the beginning, never really got into it back in the day.

You could try Jedi Academy as well.
There are a few extremely hard bossfights in it, though.

I'll have to go back and check out the dark forces series from the beginning, never really got into it back in the day.

These are games I really love, and over at GearDiary.com I have a series called 'The Netbook Gamer'. Last year I stepped through the entire Kyle Katarn series on my Lenovo s10 netbook to review for the series:

Dark Forces

Jedi Knight

Mysteries of the Sith

Jedi Knight II

Jedi Academy

The articles look at the games through a historical lens, serving as content reviews, retrospectives, as well as technical reviews regarding running on a low-end netbook.

Enjoy!

Still plodding away at Xenogears. The game is better than the average JRPG, but it feels like the story has slowed down considerably. There are still plenty of dialogue scenes, but they really don't add much to the game at the moment, it just feels like filler content. And of course they had to introduce a cutesy "funny" (read: darn annoying) character that just gets in the way of any serious moment. The JRPG counterpart to Jar-Jar (why do they show up in so many games?). The game would have been noticeably better without Riki.

For the time being, I'm playing Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy. This game takes part at the future some years later after of Mana Khemia 1: Alchemists of Al-Revis. I figured it out, because only 3 of the previous game's characters are there(Zeppel, Flay Gunnar and Tony), so it's a story-related connection between those two. I'm quite in the middle, but it's way harder than its predecessor. When I get the chance to finish it, I'll tell you guys anything about both games.

In our Co-Op Borderlands campaign we have now finished the main campaign and Knoxx. We are almost through with Robot Revolution (an hour or so to go) and we have done 1/3 rounds in Moxxy. That means 2 rounds of Moxxy and Zombie Island and we are done. It have been a really fun romp, but Robot Revolution was definitely a rather boring DLC (mostly MMORPG-style quests). Knoxx was really good though.

Ive decided to really try and get into Morrowind for about the 943729th time. I know there is a game in there for me. I love first person perspective. I love dungeon crawling. Im a loot whore. However the combat and the conversation system turn me off every single time. Ive pretty much only seen Sayda Neen and Balmora, and a tiny bit of Vivec and Ald'ruhn in all of my times starting the game.

This time I decided to try something different though. Just to get I me into the game a bit before I ultimately quit again, I decided to play as kind of a pothead! Silly, yes, but hey Im LARPing here :) What I need to do is ingest resin every couple of days, and when I run out, I need to stop all questing in its tracks and search around, travel, and barter until I find some that I can "smoke", then I can continue what I was doing. I chose that rather than moon sugar or skooma since its not illegal. Hopefully that will get me seeing more of the map :)

Ive decided to really try and get into Morrowind for about the 943729th time. I know there is a game in there for me. I love first person perspective. I love dungeon crawling. Im a loot whore. However the combat and the conversation system turn me off every single time. Ive pretty much only seen Sayda Neen and Balmora, and a tiny bit of Vivec and Ald'ruhn in all of my times starting the game.

The conversation is pretty inane and useless in most cases, but there's are Less Generic NPC mods that help, though I don't think they ever did finish all the areas in the game.

I know there are combat overhaul mods for Oblivion but I honestly can't remember if there are for Morrowind or not.

I honestly can't remember if there are for Morrowind or not.

There are numerous, actually the creator of the biggest/first combat overhaul mod got hired by Bethesda to do the combat for Oblivion, can't remember the name of the modder or the mod though..

Here are some recent combat overhauls:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1179276-relzbeta-gratuitous-violence/
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1235511-better-combat-system-mod/

Better dialogues: http://lgnpc.org/

I've finally put my hands on Dark Souls, and it stopped my playthrough of Eschalon Book II (nice game btw^^): I'm just at the beginning, but it seems very promising ;) I got used to my previous character of Demon's Souls, maybe that's why I'm dying a lot :D.

Still playing Two Worlds - at lv 18 I'm mowing thru most of the general enemies in the game. The game throws so much money at you if youre the type to gather and hit the merchants for everything you kill. It's fun tho, just starting to get into the meat of the game and quit the general roaming and questing, more looking into the factions and stuff now.

Dungeon Defenders - played the demo on XBL, didnt like it. Deleted

Costume Quest - demo XBL halloween game from Tim Schaefer. Kinda fun adventure game, but ultimately not something I want to play due to the QTE style gameplay.

Penny Arcade One the Rain Slick Precipice..: Gave it a whirl last night, RPG lite w/ tB battles and some QTE style stuff. Willing to give them some leeway because I like the style and humor, so I'll try it again but it didnt impress me that much on initial play. It was late, I was grouchy.

Going to jump back into Kohan 2 for a while, great old game I like to fire up to purge myself of demos and such

Well, I finally finished Ultima VII over the week. No part II for me!!!! yikes. I loved the exploration and different NPCs/dialog and puzzles, but the gameplay was terribly boring, and combat was a uncontrollable cluster f**k, plus no real character development, and the most tedious inventory management system imaginable. Not to mention buggy, buggy, buggy. Still liked it though, believe it or not. But I'm ready for a change of pace.

Playing Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. After horrible installation issues. Freezes during install, crashes when run, and reboots. Uninstalling, and ignoring Steam (which won't update or install the singleplayer game as advertised).

Just download the SP patches and install them manually, and ignore Steam and you'll be fine, for single payer. Haven't tried multiplayer.

This game looks VERY nice on maxed settings. It's also a nice challenge even just on normal. I'm playing a battlemage who is OK with a staff. No real technique with the staff needed, though (a bit disappointing). Just spam kicks and attacks until enemies are stunned and knocked down, then wack, wack, wack. Power attacks and combos never seemed to work. Talk about popamole!

Spamming lightning bolts against swarms of orcs and goblins has also become rather popamole.

The spells are more fun. Roasting LARGE spiders with fireballs helps me with my arachnophobia. Deliciously disturbing…

All in all, lots of fun so far, now that the horror that was its installation has past me. ;)

But it does seem that the combat system (and the environment of deadly toys), would be most interesting for a melee build.

BTW, I don't understand why it is so hard to hit a cyclops in its big eye with an arrow...

I bought a ps3 last week simply to be able to play Red Dead Redemption, since they lied about it and it will never see the light of day on pc's. I'm totally against console games, because it makes no damn sense to me....why on earth would I want to play on a crappy console that has less than a tenth of the potential of my pc?? Well, with that said, I'm really liking RDR....if I never buy another game for the ps3, it's been worth it for this alone. It isn't an rpg, but if you like a western setting, and like voice actors like Carradine, it's quite the romp =))

-Carn

Back
Top Bottom