Gothic 3 New to Gothic 3

I never even pick up that quest, since it's so time consuming to hunt them down (you kill one, and the rest run halfway across the map). The reward, either in xp or loot, would have to be spectacular for me to do that quest every time I play through G3.

I too will be new to Gothic 3.

Gorath advised in another thread to pick up Gothic Universe .. an American Amazon Marketplace vendor has these for ~$22 shipped so I ordered.

I used to have Gothic 2/NotR but abandoned it due to difficulty. If this UNIVERSE comes in before 1.7 CP I may get to finish it after all!

I am playing the demo of G3 now, and although it is very unoptimized, it looks great on my quad-core/4870 machine. I am trying to find a good consensus ge3.ini for beefy 4GB RAM machines.

Let me know if you know of such a .ini.

I didn't recommend Universe, I recommended to buy the cheapest one you can find. ;)

Gothic 3 in Universe requires one of the latest Community Patches because JoWooD fucked up the copy protection, or something like that. The CP removes it, with permission by JoWooD.

Such an ini file existed years ago. I'm not up to date what's the optimal setting now. I know there is a performance leak related to a font used under Vista though. There's a trivial fix if you think the game doesn't run as fast as it should.

Gothic 2 is the Gold version. G2 vanilla cannot be installed, only Gold.

Gothic can be heavily pimped nowadays. If you ever want to play it (again), search the forum for all the upgrades. Should be worth it on your PC. ;)

Played around quite extensively with g3.ini today.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/wikka/Gothic3IniFiles is pretty much dead on as far as what to tweak. I have read that Gothic 3 will really not access over 2GB RAM so those cache settings should be fine.

I also tried out some of the ideas here:
http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=126976

Most of them are fine tuning what the RPG wiki summarizes, but the last page has the a good settingwhich differs from the RPGWatch Wiki page:

ObjectDetails.fScreenObjectDistanceCulling_High=0. 004

Curious to see how these tweaks hold true once we have CP 1.7.

Also, as a final test once everything was tweaked ... I was curious to see what my bottleneck is.

I figured it would be my GPU, but it is my Q9300! This particular chip is not a beast of a clocker as it has a really low 7.5x multiplier, but I'm pretty sure 2.75GHz is doable. I tested this out watching CPU core load and GPU load. One of the 4 cores was >90% most of the time, but the GPU was never above 50%! I take this to mean I can go to the Catalyst Control Center and crank up more of the goodies there!

This game does not take advantage of multiple cores, so a duo that can hit 3.6GHz has a much better chance to push the G3 engine to the max.

Gothic can be heavily pimped nowadays. If you ever want to play it (again), search the forum for all the upgrades. Should be worth it on your PC. ;)

I downloaded the demo for Gothic1 while I wait for it to come it. I did some digging for tweaking settings out for it, but haven't really found much outside of infinite distance. Can you recommend where I might find good tips? I tried World of Gothic and the JoWood forums.

Back
Top Bottom