Solasta - Preview @ C4G

I don't know why I didn't back this on Kickstarter, it looks great.

Not usually a big fan of turn-based RPGs but some rare ones get my interest.:-/

Solasta is one of them. Cant wait to play it.:drool:

It has a pleasing old-school DnD look about it, without all the goofy, cartoony stuff. Fingers crossed. Just hope the verticality element works out - it could be good, but could also undermine things if it's clunky.

It has a pleasing old-school DnD look about it, without all the goofy, cartoony stuff. Fingers crossed. Just hope the verticality element works out - it could be good, but could also undermine things if it's clunky.
Almost similar to that new ARPG called The Ascent. At least it has no shooting.

Wonder what to call it Forced Isometric Perceptive or Vertical Isometric Perceptive?

Almost similar to that new ARPG called The Ascent. At least it has no shooting.

Wonder what to call it Forced Isometric Perceptive or Vertical Isometric Perceptive?

Not sure really. The thing with isometric is that it's a kind of false perspective that makes a 2D game look kind of 3D. But this sort of game is a proper 3D space with a moveable camera. Not sure what the term is really, but I think most folks still just call it isometric, because of the similar apparent camera position.

I don't know why I didn't back this on Kickstarter, it looks great.

And I'm glad I did. Since the beginning I thought this game couldn't go wrong so I backed it right away.

At least in their demo, the verticality aspect showed promise, e.g., the giant spiders crawled on the walls.

Once they add in the ability for rogues to climb walls and have enemies that use ropes / ladders / stairs and perhaps sabotage or trap them it could make for some pretty fun situations.

Oh, this does look nice! (Though I watched the video while chomping down a chocolate Dove Bar. That's bound to have colored my perspective. ;))
Not sure what the term is really, but I think most folks still just call it isometric, because of the similar apparent camera position.
Yep. And definitely best as 3D with a camera that moves, too. Otherwise stuff inevitably gets covered by some building, tree, or whatever and makes problems.

I remember the vertical stuff being extremely clunky in the demo, and I also recall they vowed to improve it to be less painful to the brain.

Is it known if there will be NPCs with quests, dialogues, cities, usage of non-combat skills and stuff like that?

I would like to know that aswell.

I don't think they initially planned to make a full-fledged RPG, more of a dungeon crawling adventures.
But they seem to talk a lot about NPC and cities in their last updates, and while a like the ambition I also worry about feature creep.

I liked the demo a lot - though I agree there were camera issues to work out in terms of the maps and understanding where you were in relation to all the vertical elements. But the combat mechanics seemed quite good.

If they can add a decent story and flesh out more non-combat stuff, this could be really good.

On that front, one of the more innovative elements I liked was the fact that in conversations, you could choose to respond with any character in your party - and they'd all respond with some degree of difference. That could be very cool if they leverage that more to create more diverse choices and role-playing opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom