Coronavirus (No Politics)

giphy.gif

How's everyone doing?

It's a strange old time. I was faring pretty well, and then the other day I just suddenly went to a super dark place, and stayed awake all night. I think if you tend to default to a stoic mode, things have a way of building up and jumping you, out of the blue.

I hope everyone else is keeping it together.

Yesterday I though the end was near for all humanity, but today I'm fine.
So it depends...

Oh, hope you are doing fine again!

First time since the 16. of March I left the house. Had to go buy some new drinks. ^^

Besides of minor adjustments here and there, like some measures in the supermarket, and some items being sold out, it felt like on a normal sunday or so. A bit weird, but not as post apocalyptic as I thought.
I walk around at night now and then, and at that point its still quite a bit calmer.
Also I have been running around on new year's eve in an industrial district 15 years ago...and that was really spooky seeing an absolutely empty highway below me.
But yeah...its far away from that at the moment where I live.

Well, I see they've cancelled Oktoberfest - that must have been a blow to morale!

I'll be alright, and it didn't seem to me that the lockdown was bothering me too much. But I think the unsettling nature of the whole thing sort of lingers in the subconscious.

The bit that preys on my mind is the inevitability of lockdown ending, and having to allow the quite vulnerable to take their chances. And, all the folks that will find themselves high and dry in the economic aftermath.

ago…and that was really spooky seeing an absolutely empty highway below me.
But yeah…its far away from that at the moment where I live.

Yeah, deserted highways are creepy.
It's good for the planet but not for morale…

I'll be alright, and it didn't seem to me that the lockdown was bothering me too much. But I think the unsettling nature of the whole thing sort of lingers in the subconscious.
The lockdown is bearable, but the shear number of daily deaths, that doesn't seem to reduce, is starting to depress me.
It's just so fucking stupid all those lifes lost…

Yesterday I though the end was near for all humanity, but today I'm fine.
So it depends…

I think it is on rotation - yesterday was your doom & gloom day, today one of my coworkers had that responsibility while another was totally chill with the universe ...

As for me, more stress than normal, but in general pretty OK.

Working must help I suppose (my job isn't really a job, and certainly not essential).
Must give you a sense of semi-normalcy.

Hopefully you do remember me advocating life over buck since day 1.
I still believe every life is more important than a dollar. But well, I'm not CEO who will stay safe at home risking lives of others.

No, the economy won't die off. You will. If you normally work at Gamestop, resign and find a job, any job, in a company that respects your life.
In wich country do you work?
That question is irrelevant.
What matters is which company you work for.

Working must help I suppose (my job isn't really a job, and certainly not essential).
Must give you a sense of semi-normalcy.

It is weird - it both does and doesn't. Nothing is normal, including being at work ... but being at work is a more normal place for me to be doing work, if that makes sense. My wife is a manager at the regional SPCA (animal shelter) so she also has to go in (and worse yet, deal with people!)

I am essential as my company division works in Pharma and Life Sciences ... so we are incredibly busy right now as you might expect, but at ou facility it looks like one of those weeks where there is a holiday on a Wednesday and about 75% of people are taking at least half the week off. And just oh so many phone calls! :D

That question is irrelevant.
What matters is which company you work for.

Well, it kinda does, as the country superseeds the company.
If the company wants you to work, but the country forbids it, then well, you will not work.

If the country supports the company, there might not be a need to fire you.

If the country protects employees, the company might not be able to fire you.

If the country provides a decent safety net, even being fired might not be a big issue.

If the country grants unlimited freedom for every individual and institution, well then…I guess thats the price to pay. :/

Actually if every country ceases to exist this very moment, it's up to a company what to do while this epidemia lasts.
Note also that in the GameStop case above it says:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...p-begins-re-opening-stores-closed-by-covid-19
The company's CEO George Sherman and its board of directors are taking temporary 50% paycuts -- a cut to base salary in Sherman's case and cash compensation for the directors -- while the rest of the executive leadership team takes a temporary 30% hit to base salary.
Buckcuts? Gimme a break.
Where (in any new contract the statement above is a result of) does it say these godlike creatures will work at the shop selling whatnot by themselves to infected customers during the epidemia? And where does it say their families will also because of the crisis, work directly with coughing buyers with high temperature and stuff?
Nowhere. Well, sorry for using these words: fuck 'em.

Moved some stuff to the political thread, let's keep that part of the discussion there.
I couldn't be bothered with making sure that it all still makes sense after the move.

Moved some stuff to the political thread, let's keep that part of the discussion there.
I couldn't be bothered with making sure that it all still makes sense after the move.

Sorry for anything I added in that vein - could you modify the thread title to have “No Politics” or something since there are two active threads? Thanks! :)

Yep, sorry too. Forgot where I was.

And thanks for taking the time to move it, and not removing it.

South Korea with its 50 mill. people is now down to 8 on daily infections. Makes for a strange comparison to Swedens strategy.

Attachments

• FE3027C9-3F0E-4868-92B6-D0E168C15CE7.jpg
    FE3027C9-3F0E-4868-92B6-D0E168C15CE7.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 68
Oh well looks like the lockdown in CT will last till June now. I'm seriously getting bored as I have no Pc.

You got a TV though? Maybe any option to rent a remote system? Ofc you would still need some kind of device for displaying stuff.

You got a TV though? Maybe any option to rent a remote system? Ofc you would still need some kind of device for displaying stuff.

My very small Android phone and basic cable in a hotel room . That's it. I lost everything in the fire.

My very small Android phone and basic cable in a hotel room . That's it. I lost everything in the fire.

Damn, sorry to hear that. Can't be easy right now.

Just a silly suggestion, because it's my diversion right now, but you could try working on an rpg - designing the systems, the world, the history, and so on. Although in some ways actually putting the game together is the hard part, what really makes for a good rpg is all the work that's done on paper. Never know when you might get a chance to use it.

Back
Top Bottom