Pillars of Eternity - Gameplay Teaser & Interviews

I like how this sounds:

“We have a more nuanced reputation system in place to track the type of character you are,” Sawyer explains. “So beyond just, like, ‘Hey, I’m friends with these dudes and enemies with these dudes,’ we wanted to allow you to make dialogue choices that have attitude and personality to them, and not just throw those out the window. For example, if you keep picking dialogue options that are super hotheaded and aggressive, you start developing an aggressive reputation. That becomes a reputation that is tracked separately.”

“What I personally like about it is, in previous games, when you have these sassy lines or stoic lines or silly lines or whatever, they kind of were just good for the immediate response, and then they went out the window. With our personality and reputation system, it allows you to feel like you are developing a reputation for being that kind of a person in the world.”

Choices will manifest elsewhere, as well. While things like race and sex probably won’t matter quite as much as in, say, Wasteland 2, they’ll still come up. Physical options like bullying with a strength stat or stealing with dexterity, too. Perhaps even more prevalent, however, are quick, hand-drawn vignettes that offer options outside the typical realms of combat and person-to-person dialogue. They largely involve still images, but with written descriptions of activities and choices. No, we’re not talking the sort of pomp and flash one might associate with, say, Dragon Age, but this leaves room for arguably more options and reactivity. Sawyer offers the simple example of interacting with a statue, saying:

Yeah, I found that cool as well. As I play the Witcher 2 and make dialog choices I "imagine" that I am developing a reputation along the lines of being diplomatic or hotheaded or whatever. But, that's only a fantasy, in my mind, I think. I'd really like to see it become a reality in the game reactivity for Eternity.

But, of course, gameplay comes first over simulation for me.

Last edited:
The survey textfields for the NPC are too small! Sorry, I needed to vent that somewhere.

The Gamebanshee interview is really good. I'm getting really hyped right now, between this and DOS(and others) I think I'm going to have lots of RPG awesomeness next year. The 2(.5)d ones seems to be the most interesting too, I'm way more interested in PoE and DOS than Witcher 3 or DAI.

This definitely is looking good and I'm glad I backed. But honestly I'm more excited about Torment. The vision for that one is much more interesting and boundary pushing than this.

I'm way more interested in PoE and DOS than Witcher 3 or DAI.
Can I quote this for future reference on the next DA:I news-bit I post?;) Still I agree with you about being more interested in this game over the others.

Can I quote this for future reference on the next DA:I news-bit I post?;)

If it's on topic. ;) I'm also waiting for Star Citizen a log... and EQN:Landmark and EQNext.

Last edited:
Wow... Just wow. Anyone with creative talent (especially writing) want to help me design my item and come up with a backstory? Looking at a piece of armor. PM me if seriously interested and I'll give you the guidelines as outlined by Obsidian.

That reactivity bit also peaked my interest. Writing/Story aside it's probably the main reason I rate Obsidian games and the area I mostly appreciate them for focusing and pioneering.

I'm drawing a blank, what is DOS?

And the first person to reply Disk Operating System is going to get slapped :D

I assume Divinity: Original Sin.

@Kostas is a winner

DOS stand for Divinity: Original Sin.

Takes too much time to write that way.

I think my problem with Obsidian's writing resolves around the relationships between male and female characters. It's like none of these guys have ever been in a real relationship with a female. Have any of the Obsidian team been married for 20+ years?
IIRC, during an interview Avellone said he hates romances because he does not really understand how it works. That could be a reason.

Name a female in an Obsidian game that was memorable. Imoen, yuk. Jaheira, double yuk. The lesbians from Fallout New Vegas. Ugh!
Actually, I thought the Annah non-romance in Planescape was quite believable. Except the kiss scene in Ravel's maze, that seemed a little bit lost and part of an incomplete storyline that unintentionally was left in the game.

Back
Top Bottom