Gothic Did I Disrupt the Game Flow?

Rills

Sentinel
Okay these are some of the actions I have done in the game:

* Warning: Spoilers *

1. Jackel in the Old Camp was a real pain and so one night in the wee hours of the morning I took him out from a roof top and pilfered his remains. Little did I know that this character was to be heading the Old Camp's ambush of the New Mine in Chapter 3 and the commander of holding the New Mine in Chapter 4.

2. When I first heard that the New Camp was ambushed I went by myself in the night, pilfered the bodies, and killed the two OC guards standing outside the gate. This is before Chapter 4.

3. After meeting Xardas, the Orc Shaman, etc., I reported back to Saturus and Rhiordan and I was told to go see Gorn as they were ready to make their raid on the Free Mine. Gorn did not lead but instead said "See you later."

4. When I go to the New Mine all the bodies I pilfered were gone except one mercenary I missed. I went down to the gate and went to the house next to the gate that has the winch for the gate. But the door is locked and it can't be lock picked, nor can I find a key.

Did I royally mess up?

Go back to an older savegame.

Only Gorn has the key to the winch hut - Jackal is quest critical and Gorn is the main reactionary in the quest success - You messed up good and proper.

Gothic is a game of deception, continually trying to break the resolve of nameless hero who must keep a cool nerve and redeem conflicting situations - Rills, you lost your dicipline - you failed as thousands of other players have before you. :D

I thought critical NPCs are immortal ?

No.

Hence my rant over the game walkthrough which includes killing EVERYONE, except quest-givers !

In this walkthrough - if I remember correctly - the quest givers were killed, too, after they had given their quests, and the character has received the result of it.

Thats right Alrik, this quest can indeed be done from start to finish without any killing by our nameless hero and it isn't too difficult once you know what is required - though it might take a couple of A4 pages to explain the motives and reasons.

Well it seems I didn't mess up after all! Just before I talked to Gorn I had saved. After walking away from the game for an hour or two I remembered I didn't ask the final question because it didn't seem to be important... Wrong! Once I asked that final question of Gorn everything kicked in as it should:

1. Gorn gave me the key to get to the winch.

2. Gorn came with me.

3. Jackle wasn't there but that didn't matter; there were still guards and shadows all overe the place.

I am now in Chapter 5. So it seems Jackle can be taken out and the game isn't disrupted after all. And he has a very nice heavy crossbow...:biggrin:

As far as I know, the main quest NPCs are all immortal untill they are no longer needed. I don't think I've come across any exceptions. To break the main quest in Gothic, you need to really make an effort, or be extremely unlucky (most likely through a bug).

You can kill Jackal withouy any problems. It's all about Gorn when you are going to free the new mine.

Back
Top Bottom