Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA - Released

Based on Ys7 I learned that Ys is part of a continent or a country region where games in Ys series take place. So it's not any obsession really, it's just a name.

The problem? Ys7 has almost no story so don't ask for details about continent/country. Apparently the same goes for older entries, grinding without a story. So… Imagine the title is Mount&Blade or what was the name of that nostory game with numerous DLC that was free a week ago and play from there. Because in the end it doesn't matter. Unless of course you want a game to have a story.

EDIT:
Seems that delays didn't do anything except bugging the game even more.
Here's one report - the game hammers GTX 1080 Ti 99.6%:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/579180/discussions/0/3288067088101174149/
I mean, WTF. Even all nVidia gameworks enabled in future games wouldn't do this. Ys8 graphics complexity is of Nintendo Gameboy or whatever similar rubbish gadget, maybe that GTX owner should use CPU integrated graphics instead, I mean maybe the game doesn't know how to work with proper hardware. You can't expect from a bicycle kid to be a car driver, right? ;)

Except that, the only other game that had so many negative steam user reviews on the release day was Arkham Knight. Will Ys8 manage to dethrone Warner's dud?

Last edited:
Well if you believe the Steam reviews this port is worse than Dark Soul 1 port. Absolutely horrible. Not sure how they could do worse but they managed - impressive !
-
Joxer mentions graphics inefficient but that is absolutely minor compare to some of the more glaring issue (btw if it is pegging the 1080 it is probably redrawing the screen as fast as possible).
-
here are a few of the problems I gathered:
horrible kb/m support (far worse than dark soul 1)
horrible optimization (Joxer touched this)
Fix resolution (same if monitor is 640x or 4k; some issues accessing items on some monitors (resolution issue))
and a few more nounces I don't wish to list.

Anyone that jumps on these imports are basically asking to get their respective worlds and wallets rocked. I might look at this in a few months time down the road, but I'm in no rush at all, and even less since I've read about it.

here are a few of the problems I gathered:
horrible kb/m support (far worse than dark soul 1)
horrible optimization (Joxer touched this)
Fix resolution (same if monitor is 640x or 4k; some issues accessing items on some monitors (resolution issue))
and a few more nounces I don't wish to list.
Yea… Seems there is more, I'm reading through all of it.
Screen tearing is apparently horrible and the only cure is vertical sync. The problem? Vsync ingame option doesn't do anything. Is there a cure? Apparently there is, you need to go into nVidia control panel and force vsync on for this game.

Then there are reports the game doesn't start for some people. Okay, I guess, it's still some which is nothing odd because PC has so many different hardware combinations. But to majority the prologue has no problems, and then the next chapter crashes like FO3 on release. Every few minutes.

This port is a joke.

Sorry for doublepost but I have to.
NISA, the company behind this port (didn't check but apparently they're to blame for horrible controls in Tales of Symphonia) promises to patch *everything*:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/579180/announcements/detail/3228394392727675778
Known Issues as of 4/16/18:
-VSync is not working
-Audio Issues
-Slight flickering in light in Eroded Valley & Towering Coral Forest
-Full screen mode detection is currently not functioning well
-Irregular shadows
-Text errors
-Controller Issues (Detection, Joystick Input)

Roadmap/Order we plan on fixing:
-VSync issue to be fixed within 48 hours
-Controller Issues (Detection, Joystick Input)
-Fix flickering in Eroded Valley & Towering Coral Forest
-Fix irregular shadows
-Remaining issues noted above

Me? Ys7 disappointed me being a nostory grindfest so I don't plan to buy this one at all. But it doesn't mean I should not care about ports quality in general.

The only imports of this nature that I'd consider buying at or near release date would have to be done by Xseed. If it is done by another company, that alone dictates I'll be waiting weeks/months if not more before I think of purchasing.

Those noses... I bet their head butts do piercing damage!

Back
Top Bottom