Gothic 3 Gothic 3 Uber-Patch NOT coming

Ouch! Well, all along the 'big patch (necessary though it is) was only a rumor anyway. The split between JoWood and PB pretty much sank any remaining hope that I had. But I do find it incredible that for six months, the only activity on PB's part was 'in their heads'. What are they smoking over there?

A translation with a detailed post about PBs´ patch plans was posted in one of the news threads today.

What are they smoking over there?

Swamp weed :biggrin: . Seriously though, that's why I am (or was... my anger has faded away a little bit) so pissed off as well. They made it sound all along as if work on the actual patch was progressing pretty well and now they all of a sudden confess that they did jack shit so far but that everything was only plans and existed "in their heads only". And they are saying that no one has a reason to be mad at them for lying because work in their head = the same as actual work. They're playing the semantics game.
That's as if your boss would order you to work on a programming project and every time he asked about the status, you'd be telling him that all is going well while in reality you'd be sitting in your office and would be playing WoW all day. Then after six months when your boss finally wants to see some results, you'd tell him that the project is finished "in your head" and that you never lied about the progress because the project plan was always "in your head" all along when he asked you in between. R to the O to the F to the L. Good luck getting away with that. PB is lucky that they got so many blind uber fanbois who actually believe this shit.

What should they have said?
Not "their boss" was asking. It was only the publisher´s CM, who is somebody on the wrong end of NDAs accompanying contract negotiations. The JoWooD people involved in the negotiations certainly had enough infos about the patch (plans) to understand if or when it would be released. They could have informed Ertl. Instead they chose to do what most publishers and many devs do: they told him "what he had to know" and asked him to do his job. Which is calming down the masses by pretending he is "one of them".

I think the critical point was the statements in March. I´m willing to believe that around Christmas PB was still optimistic an agreement with JoWooD would be reached, which makes "we´re working on a patch" the better business position than "we´re not working on a patch" because the latter would scare potential customers away.
But in March they talked about technical problems and hinted at a couple of distribution methods. How much truth is in this? In hindsight it can be interpreted as "don´t expect the patch anytime soon". That can be seen as preparing their exit from the patch discussion, if they felt they couldn´t talk about it openly at that time.
Hard to assess. What can they say if they have decided that (a) they want / need to say something and (b) "no patch" is not possible now.

What should they have said?

How about nothing? :) ... If there was no patch then they should have just STFU instead of talking about it, dropping little hints here and there and generally giving everyone the impression as if things were rosy. A lot of people were waiting for that patch before really getting into the game (myself included). There was never ever any indication that there'd be no patch or just a "head patch".

Not "their boss" was asking. It was only the publisher´s CM, who is somebody on the wrong end of NDAs accompanying contract negotiations. The JoWooD people involved in the negotiations certainly had enough infos about the patch (plans) to understand if or when it would be released. They could have informed Ertl. Instead they chose to do what most publishers and many devs do: they told him "what he had to know" and asked him to do his job. Which is calming down the masses by pretending he is "one of them".

Just to clarify: I was always talking about PB and what Ralf and KaiRo said in these two "Dialog with the PBs" threads at WoG. With all non-due respect but JoWood's CMs Ertlov and Glockenbeat are full of shit anyway :biggrin: .
Anyway, from what Kai and Ralf said, there was never ever a single reason to believe that there wasn't any actual work being done on the patch. You know, work as in people sitting in front of a screen and using a keyboard to work on Gothic III-related stuff instead of people sitting around a campfire, smoking weed and dreaming up a patch and Gothic IV "in their heads" ;) .

I think the critical point was the statements in March. I´m willing to believe that around Christmas PB was still optimistic an agreement with JoWooD would be reached, which makes "we´re working on a patch" the better business position than "we´re not working on a patch" because the latter would scare potential customers away.
But in March they talked about technical problems and hinted at a couple of distribution methods. How much truth is in this? In hindsight it can be interpreted as "don´t expect the patch anytime soon". That can be seen as preparing their exit from the patch discussion, if they felt they couldn´t talk about it openly at that time.
Hard to assess. What can they say if they have decided that (a) they want / need to say something and (b) "no patch" is not possible now.

You know what? Something here does not compute at all. PB is getting entangled in their own web of lies. Let us think about what they said...
They said that the relationship with JoWood broke apart months ago already and that JoWood has not shown any interest in any patch ever since then.
OK. But then why are they saying at the same time that they have been working (at least "in their heads" :rolleyes: ) on a new combat system and other stuff for Gothic IV that was then intended to be ported back to Gothic III if the relationship with JoWood had already ended anyway? That doesn't make any sense at all. Work for a publisher that you are no longer cooperating with? Huh?

This must mean one of two things:

1) Either that the relationship has not broken apart as long ago as they want us to believe. It must be a rather new development then.

2) Or the other possibility is that the "head work" that they have been doing over the last few months has not been Gothic-related at all and was never meant to be for a future Gothic or to be ported back to be included in Gothic III. They might have just been saying that to make the fans at WoG feel like they care. But in reality they might have been working on a new project already to get away from their "Gothic burn-out syndrome".

Something's fishy here...

The relationship may not have actually broken apart at that stage but it was probably obvious it was coming. If JoWood intended to support G3 (+ Addon), they would have offered a contract at the beginning. The simple fact that they didn't - while they start discussing a console G4 with PB - was a sure sign that JoWood was heading in a different direction.

They then did exactly what I would have done: spend the next 6 months preparing the company's future with a different product for a different publisher.

The relationship may not have actually broken apart at that stage but it was probably obvious it was coming. If JoWood intended to support G3 (+ Addon), they would have offered a contract at the beginning. The simple fact that they didn't - while they start discussing a console G4 with PB - was a sure sign that JoWood was heading in a different direction.

They then did exactly what I would have done: spend the next 6 months preparing the company's future with a different product for a different publisher.

That's not what they said though. They said that they spent the last few months doing work "in their heads" to be able to do two things... 1) to prepare their engine/tech for the next project (Gothic IV) and 2) pay attention to backwards compatibilty so that any new developments (like the new combat system that they wanted to make for Gothic IV and for Gothic III as part of a content patch) could be implemented into Gothic III.
On the other hand, they are saying that the relationship with JoWood broke apart a long time ago ("months ago") already. There is a definite contradiction here.
And if you add to that what I said above about them pretending all along as if the patch was in the making (in the "making" as in actual work instead of just in their heads) then it's obvious that they still haven't told us the whole truth and that there's something being covered up here.

BTW, what I just said is all based on facts and on official statements. I know that it's hard to keep track of what's actually true and what has actually been said and what is speculation so I'm not really blaming you but what you said above about the G4 console discussions is only a rumor. It could still very well be that JoWood always wanted PB for a PC version of Gothic IV and someone else to do the console versions. We just really don't know that. We also do not know what role Koch Media might be playing. It seems like they funded the majority of G3's development (2/3 Koch vs 1/3 JoWood) so who knows what demands they might have had in regards to Gothic IV. No one knows why the negotiations failed 'cept for Mr. Rüve of PB and Mr. X (Seidl?) of JoWood. All we know from Rüve is that it had nothing to do with the Gothic III patch.

Desperate Developers has morphed into Desperate Housewives!! :biggrin:

How about nothing? :) ... If there was no patch then they should have just STFU instead of talking about it, dropping little hints here and there and generally giving everyone the impression as if things were rosy. A lot of people were waiting for that patch before really getting into the game (myself included). There was never ever any indication that there'd be no patch or just a "head patch".
Why do you believe PB did not create patch pieces if you doubt everything else they´ve posted? ;)
JoWooD threatened to sue them to get hold of any patch pieces they´ve created so far, for free I assume. It´s in PBs´ best interest to define as much work they did as "not specifically part of a G3 patch". Law suits are expensive, even when you win.

And why are you so worked up about a "head patch". Where did they say such a thing?! They´ve created detailed concepts for G3A and G4 to pitch them to JoWooD. When the negotiations slowed down it would be logical to think they´ve recycled their G4 concept into another game and started to work on a prototype. The coders have worked on engine and tools to allow more scripting and more depth. Who says that they didn´t also fix some technical stuff and save it in the "next project" directory while they were at it?

And don´t you agree that the only way to fund such a big patch as the one planned was including it as a by-product in another game´s budget? That´s what they tried. Their plan would have avoided to do the same work twice. A perfectly logical business decision. Probably a wrong one in hindsight, but they couldn´t know that JoWooD wanted to change direction.

Anyway, from what Kai and Ralf said, there was never ever a single reason to believe that there wasn't any actual work being done on the patch.
That´s correct.

They said that the relationship with JoWood broke apart months ago already and that JoWood has not shown any interest in any patch ever since then.
Really, where? I think Rüve said JoWooD knew it a long time ago. IMHO PB only knew it for a fact when they´ve issued the PR. See below.
OK. But then why are they saying at the same time that they have been working (at least "in their heads" :rolleyes: ) on a new combat system and other stuff for Gothic IV that was then intended to be ported back to Gothic III if the relationship with JoWood had already ended anyway? That doesn't make any sense at all. Work for a publisher that you are no longer cooperating with? Huh?

This must mean one of two things:

1) Either that the relationship has not broken apart as long ago as they want us to believe. It must be a rather new development then.
Your mistake is the assumption that the relationship has ended a long time ago. IMHO it formally ended with PBs´ PR. JoWooD, like every other publisher, has nothing to gain by giving a definitive "No!". Nothing. The sooner PB knows it´s over the sooner they will look elsewhere, find funding and become competition. A "no" cuts ties. If you just let the contact cool down you can still warm it up a year later with some weak excuse of a reason.
Did you look at JoWooDs´ PRs in both German and English (or better denglisch ;) ) ? They are a complete mess. Hectic, inconsistent, not without typos, not identical in both languages, and one English PR included German date & company infos. Furthermore JoWooD reacted with lots of aggression, naive promisses (patch by a different team? LOL!) and outright embarrassing moves (The public G4 ad, parts of Berger´s interview). All this tells me that JoWooD was surprised by the official point of time and the way PB broke with them.

Why do you believe PB did not create patch pieces if you doubt everything else they´ve posted?

Because I have decided to stop speculating for the most part (not totally ;) ) and to concentrate and focus on what was actually said. And what they said is that all preliminary work that would have been required to a) make a Gothic IV and b) make a major content patch for Gothic III exists in their head only.
Source: Post by Mike Hoge of PB

JoWooD threatened to sue them to get hold of any patch pieces they´ve created so far, for free I assume. It´s in PBs´ best interest to define as much work they did as "not specifically part of a G3 patch". Law suits are expensive, even when you win.

OK. That's some major speculation on your part though that JoWood threatened to do anything ;) . My feeling tells me that PB was obliged to deliver a certain number of patches and that JoWood has no means or power to force them to make more patches. But that's just total speculation as well, of course.

And why are you so worked up about a "head patch". Where did they say such a thing?!

See above for the link to Mike's post where he explicitly stated that any work that has been done so far exists in their heads only. I did not make this up. There is absolutely no indication that a single line of code has been written since the 1.12 patch was released. But they (Ralf and KaiRo) pretended as if code was actually being worked on every time they talked about the patch. That's a big, fat lie if what Mike is saying is true. I mean when someone tells you that he's "working on a patch", do you assume that he is mentally making plans for a patch or would you expect that actual work is being done. Of course, you would expect actual work. This "exists in our heads only" part of Mike's post is the most ridiculous bullshit ever.

They´ve created detailed concepts for G3A and G4 to pitch them to JoWooD. When the negotiations slowed down it would be logical to think they´ve recycled their G4 concept into another game and started to work on a prototype. The coders have worked on engine and tools to allow more scripting and more depth. Who says that they didn´t also fix some technical stuff and save it in the "next project" directory while they were at it?

See, that's major speculation again :) . Let's focus on what Mike actually said. Mike said "in our heads only". You can't save something to a directory in your head nor can you work on tools in your head or write code in your head (OK, you can maybe but it's not exactly very productive).

And don´t you agree that the only way to fund such a big patch as the one planned was including it as a by-product in another game´s budget? That´s what they tried. Their plan would have avoided to do the same work twice. A perfectly logical business decision.

No, that's actually the most illogical business decision that they could possibly make in my opinion. As a Gothic fan, I appreciate their plan (if true) to properly patch Gothic III to the extent that they were supposedly planning to do it. But it would have been pretty dumb of them to impose limits on their new project. Think about it. They wouldn't really have been free to make certain decisions for Gothic IV. For almost every single decision, they would have needed to ask themselves 'Hmmm... sounds cool but can we do it and still achieve what we want to achieve in regards to the Gothic III uber patch? Is this the most efficient way to go about it?' etc - Honestly, that sounds like a complete nightmare to me.

The most logical decision would have been to wrap up the old and to start on the new project with full focus on the new project and only the new project alone. That would have given them the freedom to do anything they want with Gothic IV.

That means that the best logical option would have been to issue another patch for the most pressing concerns and then to fess up and cancel any further patches. Seriously, what good would a Gothic III "content patch" have done in 2008? People were extremely impatient already. A further delay of the patch would have likely hurt them more (reputation-wise) than another quick tech patch and the announcement of no further patches. Or as we say in German "Lieber ein Ende mit Schrecken als Schrecken ohne Ende" (English: Rather an end in horror than to suffer through more horror with no end in sight).

So the most logical decision (IMHO) definitely would have been to first seal the Gothic III chapter for good and to start new projects free of the old burden afterwards.

Come on, PB might be n00bs in some ways :biggrin: but they aren't complete n00bs in the gaming business. If they seriously presented that concept to JoWood (development of mega G3 patch in parallel with new game) then they must have lost their marbles somewhere along the way.
No publisher in the world would approve of that concept. If they fund a new game then they want the developer to focus on the new game. No publisher indirectly funds the finishing of an old game (that they have already funded in whole), especially if that game has sold a nice, solid 500K copies.
As I said, I'm trying to go by what PB said so we have to believe them that they really had this idea of parallel development at some point but actually it's not very credible that they ever presented that concept to JoWood. And if they did, then Seidel probably called the security to have them removed from the building :biggrin: .

Me: They said that the relationship with JoWood broke apart months ago already and that JoWood has not shown any interest in any patch ever since then.

Gorath: Really, where? I think Rüve said JoWooD knew it a long time ago. IMHO PB only knew it for a fact when they´ve issued the PR. See below.

Here where Rueve said... "I find it remarkable that JoWood is all of a sudden popping onto the scene and acting as if they were the saviors of humanity by talking about "patches" and "force to deliver". Now, after many months. Months in which they did not care overly much or at all (the community managers of JoWood are not JoWood). And a long time after it became clear to them that our cooperation has ended (or have they been looking for a new developer "since weeks" just for the heck of it?)".
Doesn't sound to me like their relationship all of a sudden ended just last week or a couple of weeks ago but a looong time ago already. How long is what we don't know though. True.

Your mistake is the assumption that the relationship has ended a long time ago. IMHO it formally ended with PBs´ PR.

I don't think so. It became public then, yes, but it seems from what Rueve said (see above) that JoWood knew for a long time already. Maybe (speculation alert!) they even made provisions like a mutual termination contract, weeks or months ago already.

JoWooD, like every other publisher, has nothing to gain by giving a definitive "No!". Nothing. The sooner PB knows it´s over the sooner they will look elsewhere, find funding and become competition. A "no" cuts ties.

Hehe, who says that JoWood said "no"? Remember the "PB had an option and didn't use it" rumor? But that's once again just -right- speculation again, unfortunately.

Did you look at JoWooDs´ PRs in both German and English (or better denglisch) ? They are a complete mess. Hectic, inconsistent, not without typos, not identical in both languages, and one English PR included German date & company infos. Furthermore JoWooD reacted with lots of aggression, naive promisses (patch by a different team? LOL!) and outright embarrassing moves (The public G4 ad, parts of Berger´s interview). All this tells me that JoWooD was surprised by the official point of time and the way PB broke with them.

Yes, they probably were surprised by the timing but that does not have to mean anything. It could be that this Berger chick who is probably usually responsible for translating German PRs was on vacation or a business trip or whatever and so someone else had to do it. It's definitely a bit messy but what else did you expect from JoWood? ;)

This point-counterpoint thing between the two of you is getting old. Why don't you rent a room together. :)

If you don't like it, don't read it!! I'm enjoying the debate!! Remember, these two KNOW a great deal about what is happening; Gorath is our Gothic Guru and Mo was formerly Senior Editor and Commander in Chief at the Dot!!

A good comment on the current situation (in german) by Tankex:

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?p=3617659&#post3617659

His feelings as a Gothic community outsider are:

1) Sympathy for the Gothic community after the frustation with Gothic 3.

2) He is astonished about the community, because they let the gaming magazines editors so easily out of their responsibility for the Gothic hype. An obviously unfinished product would never been releasead so early, if the gaming magazines had critized Gothic 3 more in their previews.

3) He is amused about PB and Jowood. He cannot believe how unprofessional those fighting parties are. Jowood tries to kick PB in their ass with announcing pure vaporware (Gothic 3 patch and Gothic 4).
He predicts that will be THE running gag in future game conventions and Jowood will never get an contract with a serious german developer again.

On the other hand PB tries to get the title "Public relations master of hearts" - (=we try to make love with every Gothic fanboy) and without need they concede that they have earned nothing with Gothic 3 -> making negotions with potential new publishers more difficult.

All in all - great cinema - those who are responsible for the PR (Jowood and PB) should be tarred, feathered and (sent by fax) !

:lol: Well posted...

Yes, the community is deserving of sympathy, being treated like that
after lifting PB from obscurity after G1, with its tenacious dedication alone...

If you don't like it, don't read it!! I'm enjoying the debate!! Remember, these two KNOW a great deal about what is happening; Gorath is our Gothic Guru and Mo was formerly Senior Editor and Commander in Chief at the Dot!!

Learn to identify sarcasm. :)

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?p=3617659&#post3617659

His feelings as a Gothic community outsider are:
[...]
3) He is amused about PB and Jowood. He cannot believe how unprofessional those fighting parties are. Jowood tries to kick PB in their ass with announcing pure vaporware (Gothic 3 patch and Gothic 4).
He predicts that will be THE running gag in future game conventions and Jowood will never get an contract with a serious german developer again.[..]
A note to 3):
He is refering to JoWooDs´ public ad seeking for a Gothic 4 development studio. That´s the only case I know of a publisher who does such a thing publicly.
Furthermore he means that all major developers will take note how JoWooD treats the developer of their flagship product, somebody they have successfully worked with for 5 years.

Because I have decided to stop speculating for the most part (not totally ;) ) and to concentrate and focus on what was actually said.
Okay, good to know. ;)

And what they said is that all preliminary work that would have been required to a) make a Gothic IV and b) make a major content patch for Gothic III exists in their head only.
This means they´re in pre-production. They write up the design documents, decide the art style, etc. Normal, nothing to get upset about. That´s what they have to do if they´ve decided to go the mentioned road for the content patch.

OK. That's some major speculation on your part though that JoWood threatened to do anything . My feeling tells me that PB was obliged to deliver a certain number of patches and that JoWood has no means or power to force them to make more patches. But that's just total speculation as well, of course.
Berger made this thread in his interview with PC Games. It was published earlier than the PB posts. A first defense line against it is to deny there is anything they can deliver. I doubt they can make the Genome engine fit for the new game without accidently making fixes. ;)
I think PB no longer has an obligation to work on patches for free. Maybe they have to make patches on request, but JoWooD would have to pay.

See above for the link to Mike's post where he explicitly stated that any work that has been done so far exists in their heads only. I did not make this up.
Okay, as I wrote above, this is called pre-production. Every developer runs though this phase before a new project is ramped up. Publishers demand detailed concepts before they greenlight a project.

There is absolutely no indication that a single line of code has been written since the 1.12 patch was released.
Here is your indication: PB has a couple of coders on their payroll. Choose one: (a) The coders sit in the office, eat pizza, drink coke and smoke like a chimney. (b) The coders sit in the office, code somethin, eat pizza, drink coke and smoke like a chimney. :biggrin:

But they (Ralf and KaiRo) pretended as if code was actually being worked on every time they talked about the patch. That's a big, fat lie if what Mike is saying is true. I mean when someone tells you that he's "working on a patch", do you assume that he is mentally making plans for a patch or would you expect that actual work is being done. Of course, you would expect actual work. This "exists in our heads only" part of Mike's post is the most ridiculous bullshit ever.
You´re exaggerating. It was a lie. We´ve already found out that the situation was complicated. Their announcement (GB patch) they thought very clever exploded under their feet when JoWooDs´ strategy change became clear. They chose to stick to their story until they´ve made up their minds about their future. What´s the big problem? Let me guess, you never lie?

See, that's major speculation again :) . Let's focus on what Mike actually said. Mike said "in our heads only". You can't save something to a directory in your head nor can you work on tools in your head or write code in your head (OK, you can maybe but it's not exactly very productive).
Not much speculation. Ralf wrote in his Q&A thread that they now have clearly better tools then they had during the G3 development.
The detailed concept for G4 (and maybe also a G3 add-on) have certainly been made. No publisher in the world gives an external studio a 7-digit sum before they have run the concept through marketing and negotiated all the details.
Modifying their existing concept from the Gothic brand to a new IP is the most logical choice when you think you need to be more flexible and negotiate with other parties too.
The technology changes to go back to the roots were also confirmed by both Ralf and indirectly Mike.
No, that's actually the most illogical business decision that they could possibly make in my opinion. As a Gothic fan, I appreciate their plan (if true) to properly patch Gothic III to the extent that they were supposedly planning to do it. But it would have been pretty dumb of them to impose limits on their new project. Think about it. They wouldn't really have been free to make certain decisions for Gothic IV.
It´s not illogical because it´s cost effective and it repairs the Gothic brand. Was it wrong? Probably, but everybody can make mistakes. A small patch and tweaked balancing on combat would have been a better decision.

The most logical decision would have been to wrap up the old and to start on the new project with full focus on the new project and only the new project alone. That would have given them the freedom to do anything they want with Gothic IV.
And damaged the brand.

No publisher in the world would approve of that concept. If they fund a new game then they want the developer to focus on the new game. No publisher indirectly funds the finishing of an old game (that they have already funded in whole), especially if that game has sold a nice, solid 500K copies.
You once again forgot about the brand. If PB owns part of or the whole brand they are interested in preserving its value. JoWooD on the other hand, if they only can make one more game, don´t care.

Doesn't sound to me like their relationship all of a sudden ended just last week or a couple of weeks ago but a looong time ago already. How long is what we don't know though. True.
I understand Rüve as saying that JoWooD knew for a long time that they would move on. He didn´t say PB knew it.

I don't think so. It became public then, yes, but it seems from what Rueve said (see above) that JoWood knew for a long time already. Maybe (speculation alert!) they even made provisions like a mutual termination contract, weeks or months ago already.
I think JoWooD waited for PB to end the negotiations, and to forfait their G4 option with this official act. A mutual termination contract is unlikely because in that case we would have seen the usual boring PRs from both sides and not such a funny chaos.

Hehe, who says that JoWood said "no"? Remember the "PB had an option and didn't use it" rumor? But that's once again just -right- speculation again, unfortunately.
I based my comment in the last post on the knowledge that it is indeed very uncommon to receive a "no" in negotiations about a project a studio pitches to a publisher. For the exact reasons I´ve given there. I don´t remember where I´ve read it. Maybe Gamasutra or the page of one of the lawyers posting there. That´s the reason why I assumed JoWooD quit silently and waited for PB to make the legal step.

Yes, they probably were surprised by the timing but that does not have to mean anything. It could be that this Berger chick who is probably usually responsible for translating German PRs was on vacation or a business trip or whatever and so someone else had to do it. It's definitely a bit messy but what else did you expect from JoWood? ;)
Mrs Berger is actually very nice. I´ve met her at the sound track event.
The PRs are chaotic even for JoWooDs´ standards. Their behaviour smells like panic to me.

Back
Top Bottom