Jeff Vogel - Kickstarter Next Week

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Jeff Vogel has announced on Twitter that his Kickstarter for a new game series will start next week.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"> I (and several hardworking artists) have been scrambling like mad for the last two months to prepare a Kickstarter for our next game series. It's a big new thing for us, and I am terrified. We'll activate it next week. #indiedev

— Jeff Vogel (@spiderwebsoft) May 22, 2018[/quote]

More information.

avernum battle royale :lol:
anyway i hope its on new engine whatever he's doing

Here's to a new game engine and a truly new game series. Even the lure of nostalgia isn't enough to make me buy Spiderweb games anymore. I'm not giving a dime to another round of generic fantasy and the same tile graphics I've been staring at for 20 years. Hopefully a kickstarter means we're getting a project with a little ambition this time.

I think i'll probably back this one even though I haven't yet had time to play his games. If he offers a tier that offer the other recent games I might even go with that one. I think I only own two of them and started one on android but it was difficult to play on a tablet.

Considering his comment about having artists close at hand, I'm expecting at the very least a revamped policy on their game assets, if not an entirely new engine. May the pitch be sensible and strong.

Yeah it sounds promising. I look forward to seeing his campaign.

Every time I tried some of his games I was ultimately repelled by UI and graphics. Particularly the journal and the map always annoyed me to no end. So if that finally improves I might give it a chance. However, it's still more appealing than all those ugly retro pixel graphics, so popular among indie devs nowadays, that I can't stand unless they were actually made in early 90s.

I really dig Spiderweb Software's RPGs, so I'll likely back this if the pitch is good. I do hope they are going to update the engine or graphics or something, though :)

Last edited:
So will he finally start making RPGs in a modern engine? If yes I will back his game.

I must be the only person in the world that likes his new graphics. Personally, his newer graphics were never the problem to me. It was his overall lack of art direction.

That being said he does have new artists. If you check one or two pages back on the Jeff Vogel soapbox thread on the codex you’ll see a link to one of the new artists. Going by his sample work it’ll look p. good IMO.

I have to admit this is somewhat exciting! Looking forward to the reveal!

Let's hope it really is something new.

I must be the only person in the world that likes his new graphics.
Nah I thought Avadon era graphics were just fine. Problem with the Avadon games wasn't graphics, or even story. Problem was that the mechanics/systems were just so simplistic. I would hope that's the item he's improving the most in this next KS'ed game.

Only interested if the new game will be using a brand new graphics engine. And one that isn't looking like circa 1998 graphics and tech. I'm sorry, no, on second thought, I'm not sorry, because 20 year old graphics doesn't do it for me. Hell, if the game appears with 10 year old looking graphics, that would be a big improvement. :devilish:

Let's hope Vogel isn't joining the party too late though. I always thought he should have launched a kickstarter back when it was booming.

He has a great old school rpg reputation, despite his games being known for using obsolete graphics. He has a good design philosophy based on old school rpg core systems, and I can't imagine the new game won't be turn based. He is solid on the old school rpg system, such as attributes, skills, character progression, and so on.

I think a Unity style engine for an isometric rpg would be a wonderful choice, personally. Or something else, but its essential it looks much more modern in the graphics.

Even with the cooling off of kickstarter in general, I do think that if the kickstarter offering is to a high standard and done properly, then I think this could be very successful.

Only interested if the new game will be using a brand new graphics engine. And one that isn't looking like circa 1998 graphics and tech. I'm sorry, no, on second thought, I'm not sorry, because 20 year old graphics doesn't do it for me. Hell, if the game appears with 10 year old looking graphics, that would be a big improvement. :devilish:
1998 era graphics, ie Infinity Engine games (with updated resolutions obviously), would be amazing for a Jeff Vogel game. I seriously doubt it'll be that good. And expecting it to be better is just delusional I think.

We'll see how far Vogel is willing to step out of his comfort zone at least. If he is ambitious enough, I'll back.

It is unfortunate that he didn't attempt this like five years ago or so, when Kickstarter projects were all the rage. Then again, he has quite a bunch of loyal fans, I shouldn't be surprised if this campaign actually does quite well. A lot will depend on the promises of the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom