The Steam Awards 2018 Nominees - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » The Steam Awards 2018 Nominees

Default The Steam Awards 2018 Nominees

December 20th, 2018, 06:07
Steam announced the end of the year nominees for Steam Awards 2018.

Link - https://steamcommunity.com/games/593…70940830340422

Spoiler – Categories and Nominees
You know very well that nearly no worthwhile games will ever be on these lists. They're the mainstream popularity soylent awards. There were good games on PC this year, of course, but for the most part you'll never see them on these lists.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
+1:

December 20th, 2018, 20:14
Witcher 3 is on the list for "best environment". Whatever that means.

I hope CD Projekt gets some recognition as best developer.

Cacheperl

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

December 20th, 2018, 20:15
It's only about popular games available on Steam.
Which means, no LOL and no Maple Story.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

December 25th, 2018, 13:46
I've seen that list, and frankly, it shows and tells a *lot* about what steam really is ( read : focuses on) and its audience.

Looking at this list, it is really no wonder for me anymore that adventurte games were literally unwanted by steam in the first place ( someone from I think it was Daedalic told me that they had to team up / partner with with a bigger German publisher to get any Adventure games into steam at all ! ).

This is the age of action games.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

December 25th, 2018, 15:12
Vote Monster Hunter World for GOTY!

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

December 25th, 2018, 17:22
Errr, wasn't Fallout four released in like twenty-fifteen or sixteen? Like, certainly not this year, lol. Out of all those games they've listed, I've only played two of them, with another two that I'm slightly interested in, maybe, at some point, or perhaps not.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

December 26th, 2018, 04:10
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Errr, wasn't Fallout four released in like twenty-fifteen or sixteen?
This isn't a magazine - Steam doesn't limit it to games published this year (or published since Thanksgiving, 2017). They could have easily done so because they've got the publish date right on the store page.

Anyway: Kingdom Come: Deliverance for GotY. Subnautica for best environment was the only one I voted for that got to the actual run-off.

Alrik, yeah, adventure games aren't very popular now. They haven't been for a very, very long time. However, I wouldn't count on this representing Steam as a whole. I expect there's a lot of peo… <ahem> accounts that never even look at the storefront page. Steam is just a bump on the road to playing DotA2, CounterStrike, or whatever.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

December 31st, 2018, 12:59
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Alrik, yeah, adventure games aren't very popular now. They haven't been for a very, very long time. However, I wouldn't count on this representing Steam as a whole. I expect there's a lot of peo… <ahem> accounts that never even look at the storefront page. Steam is just a bump on the road to playing DotA2, CounterStrike, or whatever.
Yes, like, the list shows who's attracted by steam, so to say.

But still, almost every game these days needs steam just to be activated, because steam is their new DRM.
This means that lots of people might never use steam apart from merely activating their game there.

However, I often wonder about steam itself. I mean, who allows such a game to be published : https://store.steampowered.com/app/2…Bennett_Foddy/
And that with this premise :
A game I made
For a certain kind of person

To hurt them.
To me, this game looks as if the person developing it was a real hater of wheelchair users.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

December 31st, 2018, 17:26
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
To me, this game looks as if the person developing it was a real hater of wheelchair users.
Uhhh, no. Wheelchair users rarely try to climb mountains with a sledge hammer while stuffed into a couldron. Here's the PC Gamer article on it: https://www.pcgamer.com/getting-over…maker-of-qwop/

In fact, isn't this exactly what you have been after? NO battles at all! The only real obstacle is your own frustration! Can you get over it?

(Me personally, I quickly set the game on Ignore.)
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

January 6th, 2019, 13:49
Yes, but the person is immobile with his lower part of the body, that was my point.
As wheelchair users often are as well.
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 14th, 2019, 13:50
No surprise Monster Hunter: World and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey are there.
But there are no smaller and not so famous games, which deserve to be. Aren't they asking usual players? Who makes the list?

piece_of_peace

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 15th, 2019, 05:30
Originally Posted by piece_of_peace View Post
Who makes the list?
We do. Steam makes the categories and provides a tiny bit of encouragement to get people to vote but it's players that do the voting. Top 5 (?) (10 for Publishers?) vote getters then run against each other.
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

January 15th, 2019, 14:48
A million flies cannot lie, as the saying goes, or, as another saying goes : With the increasing amount of people, the mass intelligence decreases [grammar ?].
--

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 15th, 2019, 16:57
@Alrik Fassbauer
Exactly, it's called Swarm Stupidity.

(Although, I always find the the "million flies" analogy a flawed one. The difference has everything to do with perspective, and nothing with numbers.)

Cacheperl

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » The Steam Awards 2018 Nominees