What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 234 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

July 8th, 2019, 02:34
Captain Marvel; saw it a while ago - it was ok - liked it better than a lot of folks here but certainly not deep or that great.

Spiderman - far from home - didn't really care for it as much as the first spiderman. I liked that the story is more interesting (or attempts to be more interesting) then the last two spiderman reboot (tobey maguire was great (esp #2) but the stories were old) - not sure why far from home didn't work for myself - just found it kind of boring - too much cgi not enough acting.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

July 8th, 2019, 11:37
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
Captain Marvel. Plain action movie but I liked it and was brainlessly entertained. Seems I'm getting over my comic hero fatigue (started somewhere in 2005 I think), or those movies are finally getting better… I suspect the former.

Looking forward to endgame now, despite that it was majorly spoiled for me by watching the Graham Norton show.
There is a huge difference between comics hero and comics superhero.

The kiddie script (not hacking terminology: script kiddie) in the movie above is about comic superhero.
Sadly kiddie scripts are often used for comics heroes too thus recent Valerian turned out to be artistically irrelevant and forgettable unlike the legendary comics series everyone and their mother stole ideas and aesthetics from.

Here's hope the upcoming videogame based on comics hero, Blacksad, won't be yet another mediocrity. It's planned release is september this year.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)

July 8th, 2019, 12:30
I couldn't stand the previous Spiderman. I found the juvenile humour to be so terrible that I gave up before I got halfway. The humour isn't that good in any of the Marvel movies, but this was the first time I gave up because of that.

If the new Spiderman movie is on par with the first one in that area, I am not even going to bother watching it.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)

July 8th, 2019, 14:10
What's better han Noomi Rapace? Seven Noomi Rapaces!

In a couple of years old What Happened to Monday, Noomi is playing 7 sisters in a world where having more than one child is illegal due to overpopulation and all "surplus" kids have to be frozen in a cryo state to be awaken when the world can sustain a huge number of people.
The grandfather here however decides to hide all 7 sisters in an apartment, names them by a weekday and sets them a single name and personality they'll all "roleplay" during a weekday that corresponds their name.

One monday, it happens that Monday, one of sisters, dissapears. And we get a great scifi thriller to enjoy.
A bit underrated if you ask me.

Breezed through critics and imdb drones and those that panned the movie point at two huge "sins":
- predictable
- Noomi's accent

Both are bullshit of course.
There will be dead people in the movie, noone can nor could predict wo'll survive in the end nor could anyone predict the reasons behind Monday's disappearance.
About Noomi's accent, the same bullshittery was listed as the biggest sin of Tatiana Maslany playing clones in Orphan Black - are these people normal? This is scifi thriller, it's not a biographical rise and shine of grammar police. Besides, not just any actor or actress can pull through different personalities in one sitting and make each of them believable, so accent thing is IMO a plain trolling from jealous schmucks - if it wasn't for that, they'd probably find Noomi's eyecolor problematic. Or nose. Or boobs. Anything just because.

Of course, none of long live shallowness users/critics noticed a few plot holes (an example for those who'll watch, do remember the phrase "the first one said the same thing" when it occurs - when the movie ends you'll agree it had to be cut or rephrased as it's not true at all nor is a part of any bluff). These are of course stuff for nitpicks and don't degrade the movie overall.

I wish I watched this one sooner, it's that good. Don't repeat my mistake, watch as soon as possible.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

July 8th, 2019, 14:18
Originally Posted by you View Post
Captain Marvel; saw it a while ago - it was ok - liked it better than a lot of folks here but certainly not deep or that great.

Spiderman - far from home - didn't really care for it as much as the first spiderman. I liked that the story is more interesting (or attempts to be more interesting) then the last two spiderman reboot (tobey maguire was great (esp #2) but the stories were old) - not sure why far from home didn't work for myself - just found it kind of boring - too much cgi not enough acting.
I really struggled to stay awake during this one. Brie Larson has the charisma of a dog turd.
Haven't seen new Spider-man. I got pissed at publicity of Mysterio without his helmet. Typical hollywood bs where the star HAS to show his face all the time.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

July 8th, 2019, 15:21
I'm another person that just doesn't get the new version of Spiderman, Rami's version came the closest to the comic book in my opinion, and by far the most enjoyable.

And don't even get me started on Captain Marvel. You just cannot simply change things that were established YEARS ago, without alienating those that cherish the memories. I'm not even sure I'll watch this when it makes its' trip to cable at some point, perhaps maybe if a friend feels so inclined.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default Spiderman FFH & Yesterday

July 9th, 2019, 23:13
I am not a comic book reader so I see the films as "stand alone" - there's no history for me to compare them to other than earlier version of the films. On the latest Spiderman the Peter Parker character is sufficiently different from the other two that I still find it fresh. I do agree that the special effects sometimes seem to take prominence over story content but "blockbusters" seem to go down this route more so now than in the past. I liked the film, character development continues and Peter is growing up. Worth a look especially in 3D.

"Yesterday" is a romantic comedy with great songs. Yes I am a Beatles fan and hearing the songs on a top quality cinema system was mind blowing. The story line does not stand up to much scrutiny but just ignore it and let the feel good factor carry you on. I will be buying the Blu-ray version at some stage. Worth a listen and a look.

SleepingDog

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

July 10th, 2019, 13:52
Originally Posted by SleepingDog View Post
I am not a comic book reader
That's why movies and series are for. Not everyone lived when comics started and some are, culturally, artistically and with style - outdated or oldfashioned.

With universe resets and different timelines it's pretty unfair to compare Spiderman comics with any live version as it doesn't have to follow the written/drawn source. What needs to be compared are:
- humor
- excitment
- villains
If the movie (or series) fails on any of these three points, then it sux compared to comics.

Originally Posted by SleepingDog View Post
"Yesterday" is a romantic comedy with great songs. Yes I am a Beatles fan and hearing the songs on a top quality cinema system was mind blowing. The story line does not stand up to much scrutiny but just ignore it and let the feel good factor carry you on. I will be buying the Blu-ray version at some stage. Worth a listen and a look.
Do please find and watch A Hard Day's Night. It's pure gold.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 14th, 2019, 18:10
alita 3/10 what a piece of crap, terrible b movie
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

July 14th, 2019, 23:22
Holy moly, I tried watching some Potter movie last night, the latest Grindelwald flick, and….words just fail me. What an absolute bore-fest, if you can stomach this film without resorting to a book, well, you're of sterner stuff than I! I have to admit to not being the biggest fan of the Potter-verse movies, the books for the most part I could tolerate, but none of the films really ever did it for me. The one I tried viewing last night was plain insulting.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

July 15th, 2019, 12:28
I strill need to watch all those numerous Potter movies… Watched only the first two back in the day, both were silly but fun. Not fun enough to lure me into more, but as it kinda became a general knowledge I shouldn't stay ignorant much more, right?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 15th, 2019, 17:18
I watched spiderman last movie a few days ago, and I'm not disappointed.
On the other hand, the x-men phoenix one…. (4/10)

Right now I'm more into series due to lack of films.

vigor

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 15th, 2019, 17:40
The books are a *lot* better than the movies. I sort of view the movies as scenes from the book with a lot of hollowness between the scenes.

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
I strill need to watch all those numerous Potter movies… Watched only the first two back in the day, both were silly but fun. Not fun enough to lure me into more, but as it kinda became a general knowledge I shouldn't stay ignorant much more, right?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

July 15th, 2019, 18:17
I seriously agree with You. If you've read the novels, the movies are a complete let-down, they don't even come close to measuring up.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

July 15th, 2019, 19:22
Nothing wrong with the original Potter series IMO. This new adult incarnation though? For the absolute diehards and no-one else from what I've heard. Just looked up Grinwald & yup, it's the lowest rated potter themed movie by quite a huge margin.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

July 16th, 2019, 12:34
Originally Posted by vigor View Post
Right now I'm more into series due to lack of films.
Lack of films? LOL
So there is no movie worth watching from past 100 years and you've experienced everything available out there?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 16th, 2019, 12:40
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Lack of films? LOL
So there is no movie worth watching from past 100 years and you've experienced everything available out there?
Most of the time what I do is watch movies that include black and white if that satisfies you lol. No offense.

vigor

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

July 19th, 2019, 15:58
Oh, Lord have mercy… I daresay I'll be going to see this as a Christmas treat.

loading…
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

July 19th, 2019, 16:16
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Oh, Lord have mercy… I daresay I'll be going to see this as a Christmas treat.

loading…
Oh crap. I have never been so scared in my life before…. Its so disturbing, I don't even know how to describe it.

Funny thing is, I have seen stage show and really loved it but this is creepy as hell.

lostforever

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

July 19th, 2019, 16:26
https://twitter.com/ianabramson/stat…77667207372800
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread