What are you reading?

The more i read "Wearing the cape", the more i like it. Just imagibne a comic convention with superhero cosplayers, superhero merchandise, and with superheroes attending it and selling all that personally. apart from keepuing the town safe.

It reads very good, very fresh, but that's partly due to the very young language the translators had used. This is a superhero story of an avid superhero fan - turned into a superhero herself.

I had jury duty so I grabbed a random sci-fi book at the used book store. "The Rosetta Codex" by Richard Paul Russo.

*** Spoiler alert ***
Five year old kid crash lands on a planet, gets raised by criminals, travels a lot, finds a mysterious book, finally reaches civilization. He turns out to be the last descendant of a wealthy family, so he uses his money to buy a spaceship, travels to another dimension described in the book, then reanimates an uber-powerful ancient alien race who spread out across the galaxy. The end.
*** End spoiler alert ***

Well that was a waste of four hours.

The "Phoebe and her Unicorn" series. Really funny.

Continuing with my Stephen King summer read-a-long-thon, I'm rereading his 11/22/63 novel. Like him, I also believe that Oswald acted completely alone, and just got extremely lucky with the results, at least from his perspective. When I was a bit younger the whole conspiracy bit sounded possible, but as I wised up, it seems terribly unlikely. People do sometimes win the lotto, and on that date, Oswald won, and the world lost.

I heartily recommend Epictetus, he remains my favorite of the Stoics, and this is his seminal work (the Encheiridion) and is a nice and complete little hardback edition to throw in a backpack or something. I find it beneficial to re-read this to completions every once and awhile, but it's also nice to just flip to a random page during coffee. Great book

How to Be Free: An Ancient Guide to the Stoic Life

I completed 11/22/63 two days ago, and yesterday started rereading Mr. Mercedes. The King summer continues for me, and I suspect I'll reread the other two books in the series after I complete this one.

I completed the Mr. Mercedes book in a few days, and went straight into Finders Keepers, which is the second novel in the series. I finished that one two days ago, and then began the last book, End of Watch. These novels don't rely so much on supernatural elements, they are there of course but to a much smaller degree than the usual King tale. I'd say these are more thriller-like, pretty enjoyable if you like detective stories.

Knocked off End of Watch the other day, which finished the trilogy for me. One of the best elements in the series, at least for me, is how the players change and progress over the years. It's well nuanced, most of the character progression makes sense, and it makes the story much more enjoyable. People will and do change over the course of their lives, and it's nice to see that reflected in a tale that spans several years.

Just completed Night Of The Long Shadows and now I'm on Sea Of Death, all Eberron novels.

Reading Everything's Eventual by Stephen King. It's the only collection of his I haven't read. Only a couple of stories in, both of which were rather pedestrian, but I'm sure it'll pick up.
Edit: there was some good stuff in this collection. I especially liked the Dark Tower story.

Last edited:
Just finished From A Buick 8 by Stephen King. Part of my ongoing effort to plug in the gaps in my King reading. The first two thirds were tedious, but it really picked up in the last third. I'd definitely place it in the bottom third of his output, though.

Just started The Institute by Stephen King.
(Became available in bookstores yesterday, at least in NZ)

I'm currently re-reading a series that I've only ever read once before, and that was over twenty years ago: the Warlord Chronicles, by Bernard Cornwell. You can really tell where the inspiration came from if you read these books, which are based on Autherian legends, and then check out his Saxon tales. All in all, I've enjoyed every page of the Winter King so far, and I'm looking forward to the next two books.

I finally finished my Tolkien stint (Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Beren & Luthien, Fall of Gondolin and Unfinished Tales)… took me about a year to plow through.

Started with scifi again after that, reading through 3 Heinlein books in August: "Orphans of the Sky", "Stranger in a strange land" and "The moon is a harsh mistress". Of the 3 I'd say "Orphans" was the best (it's also the shortest of the 3), and "Stranger" the weakest (too much moral and religious discourse for my liking).
All in all, doesn't seem like Heinlein is my cup of tea.

Picked up a few more of Arthur C. Clarke's novels ("Fountains of Paradise" and "The hammer of God") so will be reading those next.

Having spent a few good months with pretty bad Lovecraftian games (Cthulhu, Sinking City) and a few good ones (Eternal Darkness , Last Door), I re-read a good part of the Master's work: H.P. Lovecraft's Collected Stories

Although I'm a fan, I tend to think that HPL is a pretty bad writer IMHO.
Before the flamewar: his stories are wonderful, but most of his writing is pretty much sub-par in my book (ahem).

As such, I started reading The Master's Best Friend, Clark Ashton Smith's Collected Hyperborea Stories
… and they are just wonderful. Wholly recommended if you don't like HPL's overblown, dry style of writing.

Back
Top Bottom