Final Fantasy XIV - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » Final Fantasy XIV

Default Final Fantasy XIV

July 12th, 2019, 14:21
Its a MMO but the last expansion for is getting some rave reviews from users and press alike. People are claiming in fact the story is so good that it can complete with even the best single player final fantasy games. Some final fantasy fans are claims it might even be the best final fantasy game!

Anyone here plays it?

I have played the original final fantasy XIV for while and got to level 50. I found the story to be good and better than many MMO stories. However, I stopped and never played any of the 3 expansions due to friends moving to other MMOs.

What I am reading is that the real story actually kicks in from the first expansion and the original was really a setup and in fact they all find the original to be boring.

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

July 12th, 2019, 14:52
I wouldn't mind giving FFXIV a try. It looks beautiful. But I just can't justify a subscription price. Right now I probably have a backlog of 20 games that I've gotten for free. Literally 20 games, mostly from the Epic Store, that I haven't played yet. I might pay for a game that I really wanted to try, but there's no way I would pay for a subscription.

Are there any plans to make a single-player version of FFXIV? I think I heard that somewhere, or maybe if not FFXIV, then another famous MMO. Honestly, I don't like online games, but if I could play a game with all the same maps and character classes, but with computer-controlled allies, I would love that.

And you played the original FFXIV? Like, as in, the original original? I heard that it was awful. One of the worst games ever. I thought that was why they nuked it and made a Realm Reborn.

Nathaniel3W

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 12th, 2019, 15:11
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Its a MMO but the last expansion for is getting some rave reviews from users and press alike.
Do not trust any of it.
It's mmo. And by now you should know what mmo means.

Don't let a digital product control your life.

Note that some reviewers and gaming media is recently avoiding to say mmo, but instead writes online action, online RPG or whatever online. It's still mmo and it's still trying to manipulate your free time. Avoid it.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)

July 12th, 2019, 15:39
Originally Posted by Nathaniel3W View Post
I wouldn't mind giving FFXIV a try. It looks beautiful. But I just can't justify a subscription price. Right now I probably have a backlog of 20 games that I've gotten for free. Literally 20 games, mostly from the Epic Store, that I haven't played yet. I might pay for a game that I really wanted to try, but there's no way I would pay for a subscription.

Are there any plans to make a single-player version of FFXIV? I think I heard that somewhere, or maybe if not FFXIV, then another famous MMO. Honestly, I don't like online games, but if I could play a game with all the same maps and character classes, but with computer-controlled allies, I would love that.

And you played the original FFXIV? Like, as in, the original original? I heard that it was awful. One of the worst games ever. I thought that was why they nuked it and made a Realm Reborn.
Like you I have many games in my steam library that I could play but right now I am not in the mood to play them! But for some reason I am sort of interested in FF XIV right now, maybe due to the hype going on. The subscription price does not really bother me as I think £8 a month is really cheap for amount of hours you can get out of it. I mean I pay like £15 for 2 hour movie!

I don't know any plans to make it single player and I based on what I know, I doubt it will work well as single player game anyway. For example, the maps and monsters are designed and placed with many people on map and killing them etc.

Actually I didn't play the original original. I started with Realm Reborn and I had loads of fun playing it mainly because the world felt different and fantastical compared to other westerns MMO at that time like Everquest 2 and WoW.

lostforever

SasqWatch

July 12th, 2019, 20:13
I really enjoy the Final Fantasy single player games, but I've never tried any of the online versions. I have two friends that like this game, as of now though I think my online games are behind me, save for Pantheon.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

July 12th, 2019, 21:21
I played FFXIV at the time of the Heavensward expansion, and I stopped not because I wasn't enjoying it but because it was taking too much of my time. The crafting system in particular is the best I've found in an MMO.

Honestly, though, the story at the early levels is not amazing, so if you start the game brand new on the basis of the good reviews for the expansion you may be a bit put off, especially if JRPG clichés and anime-style characters are not your thing. This is a game that lets you play as a catgirl or catboy. There are a lot of them.

But there's also awesome-looking ginger elfs rocking puffy-sleeved shirts, such as this one!

--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

July 15th, 2019, 12:44
I finally caved under the hype and re-subbed to Final Fantasy XIV! I am few quest away from starting Heavensward expansion. People say its the best, so if I don't like it, then I will never ever try the game ever!

Despite some of my misgivings about the main game, something about Final Fantasy XIV got my imagination going which most MMO can't do these days. The whole game world and lore felt new and "fantasist".

So I hope Heavensward delivers

lostforever

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » Final Fantasy XIV