Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Invasion checked out Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus:

Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus Review – Praise The Omnissiah!

It has been eons since the Imperium of Man had laid eyes on a Warhammer 40,000 (40K) video game that was exceptional. It seemed that for every step forward, there was always a step back. The advances of Dawn of War II were akin to the Great Crusade. However, mankind (especially Warhammer 40K fans) was betrayed by the Horus Heresy known as Dawn of War III. While Games Workshop hands out its licenses to various developers, very few could actually do the 40K universe justice — at least compared to what Creative Assembly and Fatshark have done for Warhammer Fantasy Battles. And so that brings us to Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus, a turn-based strategy RPG, from Bulwark Studios and Kasedo Games.

The game will be the first to feature the Adeptus Mechanicus, the cybernetically-enhanced tech-priests, warriors, engineers, and scientists of Sacred Mars and countless Forge Worlds. Majority of 40K games tend to have Spare Marines as the usual protagonists, and so being able to play as an entirely different faction in the Imperium is a treat.

[...]

The characterization is superb! Each Magos even delivers their lines differently thanks to Ben Counter’s writing. The explanations of various features and quirks in the game are even lore-friendly to a certain degree such as telling you what happens when servitors are damaged, how to permanently remove Necrons from play, and why the tactical feed looks like the way it does. It truly captures the essence of this often underrepresented faction of the Imperium.

The visual details for Adeptus Mechanicus units and Necron opponents are admirable. Likewise, the missions are quite challenging early on when you’re building up your forces, and they’re rewarding to boot. The varied customization options also add more depth to an already engaging system. In shor…

• “The subject’s emotional core has become heightened owing to the entertainment provided by this M3 tech. Acquire subject’s logical input.”
  • [Initializing Sequence…]
  • [Result] Subject provides = 1011010
  • [Conclusion] Praise the Omnissiah!
End of datastream
More information.

That’s not all, depending on the Awakening Level you had at the end of each mission, it will add to your total Global Awakening Level. Once it reaches a certain threshold, it will open up newer and harder activities. [snip]

Think of it like XCOM’s Threat Meter. Once your Global Awakening Level reaches 100, all other missions become locked out and you’ll need to fight the final battle with everything you’ve obtained up to that point.

Sounds good in theory but usually just sucks out the fun of the whole thing. Artificial time limits are what I hate most in games. The game seems good, but this mechanic alone will relegate it to the discount bin immediately. The emperor may forgive me…

This seems to be their way to get around making a real campaign with a good story.

Sounds good in theory but usually just sucks out the fun of the whole thing. Artificial time limits are what I hate most in games. The game seems good, but this mechanic alone will relegate it to the discount bin immediately. The emperor may forgive me…

I hate any kind of time limits as well and that will preclude me from purchasing as well. Perhaps they'll patch it to disable it, or maybe someone will mod it.

I want to enjoy a game, not stress over whether I'm doing things quickly enough. I had enough of that when I was working in IT; I don't need it in my retirement!

Well, I too don't like time limits but I watched a review of this and this implementation doesn't really bother me. As I understand it, it's not really like "you might not get enough done" before you hit the boss at the end. It's more like the end of the narrative arc and you just need to embrace that and enjoy the path to the end - and don't need to worry that you're not getting enough done.

Anyway, having watched a couple let's plays, in spite of my normal aversion of all things time-limited, this game is near the top of my list now as I think it looks really good.

I usually hate it too but FTL had a kind of a time limit that worked well. This one doesn't sound like it'll work as well but I'm hoping to be proven wrong. I'm looking for something that'll scratch my WH40K itch so ill still probably pick this up.

I usually hate it too but FTL had a kind of a time limit that worked well.
Maybe, but not for me. First thing I did in FTL was to use a mod to deactivate this. Really enjoyed the game afterwards while I was "exploring" instead of "fleeing".

So great that these mods exists, but it should be options in the game. Let me enjoy my games as I want.

Players got what they wanted yet it is not enough.

I want to enjoy a game, not stress over whether I'm doing things quickly enough. I had enough of that when I was working in IT; I don't need it in my retirement!

A gaming session is not a life saving surgery. Failing in gaming comes with no consequences.
Actually, going through those stressful no consequence activities are an excellent way to cope with stressful situations with consequences.

It wont happen with this product as it builds no tension. There is no failing in it.
No race against time or something.
The situation is so bad one streamer got mocked by his chat as they told him he was enjoying the product because the product made him look good.

The counter does not build up pressure. It only limits the amount of content that is seen in one playthrough. In a way that is not harmful to content browsers.
The only players affected are content drainers because it takes multiple runs to drain the content.

Maybe, but not for me. First thing I did in FTL was to use a mod to deactivate this. Really enjoyed the game afterwards while I was "exploring" instead of "fleeing".

So great that these mods exists, but it should be options in the game. Let me enjoy my games as I want.

Bethesda's syndrom: buying a product that features a core feature that is hated.
Reads too much difficult to acknowledge the product is not meant for certain players and move on.

FTL would be a much better game if indeed players were driven to flee. Fleeing is not an integral mechanics in this game. As soon a player knows how to play, the win is quasi certain and battles are victorious.

Same stuff, the counter does not put a lid on exploration. FTL is a multiple run product which means content is shared over multiple runs.
The counter prevents content draining.

Yup, me too. I absolutely detest time limits in games.

I really enjoyed the new X-COM but I never bought X-COM 2 due to the frequent time/round limitations built into many of the missions.

I played and enjoyed FF XIII and FF XIII-2 and I bought "Lightning Returns" as well. Upon starting it I discovered that there was a build in time limit and immediately uninstalled it again.

…It only limits the amount of content that is seen in one playthrough. In a way that is not harmful to content browsers.
The only players affected are content drainers because it takes multiple runs to drain the content.

I am a "content drainer". However, I don't mind when a choice in the game "locks me out" of certain portions of the game (e.g. the traditional good vs. bad ending or non-violent vs violent approach, etc.) but being "forced" to replay due to artificial constructs like time limits (or perma-death in case of roque-likes) is just … "sloppy" at best (IMO).

But in all fairness, I do acknowledge that tastes differ so I just stay clear of games aimed at "content browsers" …. a shame though. I believe I put this game on my Steam wishlist a few days ago. Time to remove it again it would seem. Oh well :-/

Personally I love games with time limits. I also like perma-death, although of course only in a game which is designed around it, like FTL. I enjoy the increased tension and choice and consequence that the time limits give, as well as the feel that the world isn't waiting for you. But I also totally respect that some people are more casual players and don't like the tension or difficulty that timed events provide. That's why there are different types of games for different players.

Doesn't sound like the time limits for warhammer 40k are that bad though, they might be tolerable to casual players, although I haven't played the game yet to get a feel for it.

but being "forced" to replay due to artificial constructs like time limits (or perma-death in case of roque-likes) is just … "sloppy" at best (IMO).

They are not artificial constructs, they are key features to anchor gameplay.

Content is locked out the same way it can be locked out in a technology tree, options exclude others.

The issue in this product is the feature does not work. And the situation is already bad as missions are hard to lose. Being able to play all the missions will only increase the lack of importance of each.

I don't like time limits, but this implimentation doesn't sound bad. It sounds more like an xp cap. Finish X number of missions and proceed to the end game. But I am not a completionist, and tend to leave out boring tasks or side missions unless I'd be otherwise forced to grind.

I'm shocked how well this one is selling. I'm presuming sales are very brisk because there are already 500 user reviews on steam. Also a few folks have pointed out bugs but most seem to find it a lot of fun even if it has bugs and balance issues.

A game might be unbalanced. In this case, it is deeper than balance issues, they skipped the stage of elaborating a game.
Dropping features here and there does not make a game.
It makes a good seller though.

Back
Top Bottom