Name your all time top five favourite songs, please

Since i have such an eclectic taste in music and assume all songs must contain lyrics in no particular order:
The Beatles - Elenor Rigby
Roy Orbison - Pretty Woman (much better than Elvis version)
Heart - Barracuda
Gowan - Strange Animal
The Cranberries - Zombie or Supertramp - The Logical Song
Special mention
Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush - Don't Give Up
Jeff Wayne - War of the Worlds

Let me add one more - where all songs are as precious to me as those my previous list:

Ah, yes, when making those list I thought of Western music, but your 3, 4 and 5…! Thanks! I loooove Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, and Bollywood and Bangra music. Your pick is definetely something that would be in my top 100. :)

Anyway. Have to go now, so I’ll listen later to your selection again as well, and the top 5 of
Ragnaris too (did not have time to listen to any of those yet).

I did start off with western music list but then decided against it as the world is becoming a very small place these days! I find myself listening to music from all sort of places where I don't even understand their language. Most of these music were found randomly on forums I visit so I thought someone here might enjoy something different and it seems at least few people here might :)

Don't bring me down-ELO
Play that funky music-Wild Cherry or MC Hammer
If-Bread
Oh Holy Night-Jim Nabors
Ring of Fire-Home Free
Walk like an Egyptian-The Bangles

Well I’ll list as well (sorry no links as very sore hands)
Don’t worry, no links needed, I’ll look them all up in Youtube myself and listen to them from start to finish.

What is the matter with your hands by the way?
Something temporary I hope?

Can we pick albums instead? Songs is sooooo hard.
Haha. Sure, but don’t expect me to listen to all of them from start to finish. :)

I could have easily listed every song by the Traveling Wilburys as my favourites. They may have only been active four or five years, but man, they put out some great tunes in that time!

I suffer from chronic nervous system pain and my hands are the worst point. So no twitch games, only play games in 20-minute blocks and try to type as little as possible.

Well can't pick five sorry. Have thousands of bands I listen to, and cant choose. Most of them are Hard Rock or Metal sub genres. Which I've been told is not music on this forum.

I didn't take Metal bands to much into my choice as there is way to many that have LP's that have more than 5 songs that are in my top fav. at the time of listening to them.

Plus some of the Metal I enjoy besides a few here...well...

All right, this one merits a login. I've thought for years about doing a musical March Madness but would have to generate my own Youtube clips for a fair portion of them. Since I have no idea how that all works, the project never got off the ground. Anyhoo...

"No Answer" by Curtain Society

"Forever" by blueScreen

"Stir About the Stars" by Love Spirals Downwards

"The Colour Hurts" by Curve

"Sixfouronezero" by Makaras Pen

So many more great tunes that should have been included... I probably should make a separate list for the 80s stuff.

All right, this one merits a login. I've thought for years about doing a musical March Madness but would have to generate my own Youtube clips for a fair portion of them. Since I have no idea how that all works, the project never got off the ground. Anyhoo…

*Snippet*

Wow. I've never heard of any of these, and nearly all of them are really appealing to me. Thank you for sharing.

It all depends how old I am at the time. When I was 7 there were no better bands than Abba and Kiss. Also, the K-Tel albums Out of Site and Kukie Country.

With that in mind

You're a brave man for admitting you like Nickleback @Couchpotato;

Last edited:
You're a brave man for admitting you like Nickleback @Couchpotato
Ah yes the Nickelback hate phenomenon that can't be explained.:biggrin:

I always point out to those people a few simple facts.

• Nickelback have sold over 50 million records worldwide since they formed in Alberta, Canada, in 1995.
  • They’ve played to over eight million fee-paying ticket holders on their international tours – including a sold-out 10-date arena tour of the UK last year.
  • Their breakthrough song, How You Remind Me, was the best-selling rock song of the decade in the US.
  • They’ve had five number one studio albums in Canada – three more than fellow Canadians Neil Young and Joni Mitchell combined.

Wow. I've never heard of any of these, and nearly all of them are really appealing to me. Thank you for sharing.
Glad you enjoyed them. Don't want to spam up the thread here with a proper sermon on the Waze of the Gaze, so I will encourage you to investigate "shoegaze" and "dream pop" music. If you'd like, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to bury you in all sorts of similar stuff.

Glad you enjoyed them. Don't want to spam up the thread here with a proper sermon on the Waze of the Gaze, so I will encourage you to investigate "shoegaze" and "dream pop" music. If you'd like, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to bury you in all sorts of similar stuff.

Oh you have a hat. I want a hat. And kitty isn't around to do them anymore.

Seeing "BlueScreen - Forever" gives me bad dreams! The music is nice, though. There's something familiar about the singer's voice but, when I try to Google up the band, I just get a bunch of Windows crash screen references!

Since i have such an eclectic taste in music and assume all songs must contain lyrics in no particular order:
Why would you assume that? If so, would this count?

I've been listening to it for decades and only have a few theories about what the lyrics are.

Elisabeth Frazer (Cocteau Twins) don´t sing in any real language a practice that usually just sounds silly and contrived but which I think works in their music

Of them all, I'd have to say Love Spirals Downwards' "Stir About the Stars" is the one that stood out to me most. I adore the genre of darkwave. Bluescreen's "Forever" was also wonderful.

I'll be interested in looking more into them all, though. As zloth stated, some are a more difficult to find on Google than others.

Elisabeth Frazer (Cocteau Twins) don´t sing in any real language a practice that usually just sounds silly and contrived but which I think works in their music
Not quite true. She put up lyrics for Heaven or Las Vegas once but then pointed out that the words are like guidelines for the tones. So, in one line she talks about the sun, but pronounces it "zoon" because that sounded right to her.

1. Blackmore's Night - Shadow of the Moon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_pzbTGmKLc
I don't know why I like this song so much - I see in it a Hymn to Escapism, and Escapism saved my sanity over the last decades.

2. Haggard - Eppur Si Muove (and yet it moves)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE4YRnjrM1Q
The greater Truth will prevail - even if it takes centuries, and even if it is far to late.

3. Blind Guardian - Born in a Mourning Hall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrFZlhXVoJ0
Everything is shit.

4. Die apokalyptischen Reiter - Barmherzigkeit (charity/mercy ?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snltw9P76r0
Everything could be better - but that will never happen.

5. Subway to Sally - Wenn Engel hassen (When Angels hate)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32cUl-IVzz8
You will suffer ! YOU WILL ALL SUFFER !!!

Wow, my all time top five is really sick…

Back
Top Bottom