The TV Series discussion thread

Giving The Expanse another shot, now that it's been "saved".

I don't remember where I stopped watching last time. I think somewhere in Season 2.

I'm halfway through S1 now and it's not terribly exciting - but I'm guessing it will improve.

One problem is that I don't really like any of the characters - except perhaps the Thomas Jane guy. Amos seems to be the kind of guy I should like, but he's a little overplayed and lacking in nuance - at least so far.

Here's hoping it will improve - as I'm dying for a quality sci-fi show.

I had a big problem with season one, Expanse, but I did finish it. But I wasn't going to go back to it. There was a bunch of new fantasy /sci fi stuff on at the time. The Magicians, (meh).That sci fi show about the alien invasion that walled off LA but they didn't show any aliens. (More Meh) I gave all three a chance and I was not entertained. I was out. However, I forgot to delete the Expanse series from my DVR and had about 3 episodes loaded up from season 2. So I let the DVR do its thing and binged watched some time later.

Season two of the Expanse is way better with far more coherent plot lines and season three is actually a pretty good warp up of the series. The major mysteries of the first 3 seasons has been resolved but some character issues/problems remain and can possibly make for a compelling fourth season? Maybe. I thought they redeemed themselves with seasons 2 and 3 and I'm willing to let my DVR still auto record what ever comes next.

Oh, the cast grew on my by season 3 and I actually kinda cared.

After finishing season one I’m now almost at the end of the second season of Line of Duty (UK, anti-corruption unit) and have no nails left to bite. My! The suspense is almost unbearable. Second season extra enjoyable because of fantastic acting of Keeley Hawes.

Finished up with The Boys.
Me too.

Psychological aspects of main characters are an utter fail.
- A wimp turns into a killer because someone else killed his girlfriend? Not in a million years. The same wimp grows some balls and shifts personality almost 180°? This in reality can happen only after lobotomy or severe PTSD trigger but it never "improves" a person and PTSD does not cause a timid person to start killing randomly while gaining extreme emotional intelligence at the same time.
- Only dead supe is good supe? Because wife is missing? No, that guy in reality would be de facto racist who'd think the same even if his wife wasn't missing and the show fails to recognize it.
- A "french" sidekick is unreliable, entropic and defiant from the group standpoint, in reality he'd be removed from the same group by any means necessary and not reasoned with Spice Girls. Unless we're talking about kindergarden socializing and not life and death job.
- Having a wife and daughter person is risking his life just because the show script needs him to? Mhm. In reality the wife would either know and support it or wouldn't even be near.

The show is saved by aspects of psychopaths though. We see CEO at only one brief point, but others who run the corporation are brilliantly described. For example the brestfeeding female roleplays EA's CEO who knows no morals nor ethics, but is speech sugarcoating master with only one emotion possible - being scared of her underlings.

To cut it short, it was fun but I cannot recommend as a mustwatch.
Yes I know it's based on some comic, but that one I haven't seen.

Just finished the Boys. Now that was one hell of a series. Best superhero show yet. Enjoyed it more than Umbrella Academy. Karl Urban does a fantastic job acting and so does Elizabeth Shoe. Depicts 2019 perfectly.

Can only support it..... "The Boys" is absolutely amazing..... I heally hate that superhero hype and that show deals perfectly with it.....

Just finished the Boys. Now that was one hell of a series. Best superhero show yet. Enjoyed it more than Umbrella Academy. Karl Urban does a fantastic job acting and so does Elizabeth Shoe. Depicts 2019 perfectly.

I like Karl, he makes for your prototypical action hero. He needs more work.

Yeah, Umbrella Academy. ummmm, it was watchable. Doubt I'll be back

As far as the two seasons Amazon is doing for Expanse, well it makes sense to me. It was a good show and now Amazon can get in on the money for doing two original seasons. Sci Fi did all the leg work building it up and now Amazon can capitalize.

Currently working my way through Madmen. The first 3 episodes are real hard to get through but I'm mid way through season 4 and will probably finish up in a week or two. The show's writing jumps from Drama to Melodrama but it shines spectacularly when they center on how an office in 60s Manhattan works in particular when they center on the firms advertising strategies.

OTOH, it goes over the top in showing some of society foibles of the 60s, like they are saying see we remember and noticed that stuff. Look we put it in here because it happened. Example, I know some 1960s doctors smoked, but all of them . . . in the office . . . with patients. Still the acting is really good and it almost seems like you are watching real people not actors.

What made me want to watch this show was they did a review of this series on CNN Television, the 2000s. I knew about this show but had no idea it was mostly about the protagonist leading a double life. And the demons he had to endure to keep it all together. I thought it was about advertising and men smoking in the 60s. But that level of plot complexity surprised me.

The show lasted 7 seasons and they concluded the story line. Each season is about 13 episodes. And the episodes are about 47 minutes apiece.

Last edited:
I found Mad Men to be pretty good, overall. Yeah like any other show it has some weaker episodes, but the arc on the Draper family is pretty good, especially on Donald. These days when I find myself not liking hardly much current television, there's a lot of positive things to be said for Mad Men.

Anyone tried Years and Years. I have only seen the first episode but it starts of really well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Years_and_Years_(TV_series)
The six-part series follows the British Manchester-based Lyons family: Daniel is getting married to Ralph, Stephen and Celeste worry about their kids, Rosie is looking for a new partner, and Edith is engaged in one humanitarian cause after another. Presiding over them all is Gran, the imperious Muriel. All their lives converge on one crucial night in 2019, and the story accelerates into the future, following the lives and loves of the Lyons over the next 15 years as Britain is rocked by unstable political, economic and technological advances.[5]

Aye, saw it and replied to another post of yours in a different area. Well worth watching, some of it went way above my head, like the lady that had all the cyber implants, but most of it was both entertaining and sobering.

Krypton seems better this year. But perhaps that just reflects a dearth of good sci-fi during summer.

Final season of Preacher is back on, and I need to get caught up with Legion.

Event horizon, the horror movie I loved as a kid but utterly sucked when I rewatched it a couple of years ago, is getting a TV show.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/event-horizon-series-amazon-1203291883/

I think the premise is still very good.

ha, the exact opposite for me. Hated it when it came out but watched it about 3 months ago and thought it was pretty good. There were a lot of themes the movie touched on that can be explored in a mini series. But anything longer than that will need more than the ideas that were expressed in the movie to keep my interest.

I'm somewhat of third group. IMO the movie was pretty much mediocre, but filming all sorts of zombies is now mainstream thus there is no surprise seeing someone remaking this ones's silly premises.
Yes I know the movie was rushed and we'll never see the planned version (lost cuts), but I don't believe anything added can make it better. Will skip the show.

-

Dart is gone but maybe others are intersted in cancelled before airing Swamp Thing.
It doesn't follow the comic faithfully (example, LGBT journalist? sorry, but no), everyone in the show are suggested of being de facto vampires (99% of the show happens during nights) till the last episode where we finally see "the monster" during a day.
For whatever reason these are a few earbleeding by the loud sound jumpscares in the show, but not enough of blood and gore if you ask me.
The cast is IMO awsome and that includes even characters who appear for only a few minutes during the whole run. Music is okay, visuals in general too.

And it's fun. I have to admit there was not a single moment I thought god let it end already.
Why was it cancelled? I have no idea, but the reason wasn't it's quality as it doesn't suck.
While it's not the best show ever made, and I can't agree with imdb's 8/10, it should IMO have more like 6 or 7 as it's slighty above average material, at least the season that got made is, if you're in the mood of watching a rare fantasy show about rotten humanity where everyone is flawed, give this one a shot.

If they do a lot of backstory that wasn't in the original movie, I guess they could have eight to ten episodes in total, and it might be worth watching. I'm a sucker for good science fiction, so unless I hear absolutely terrible reviews, I'll likely check it out at some point.

Dart is gone but maybe others are intersted in cancelled before airing Swamp Thing.
Are there any other JL Dark characters that appear in it? I was hoping there would be.

Yes, brief appearance of Blue Devil.

Stop the presses for me again, Iko Uwais leads the new Netflix' sci fi martial arts show and it's out already!
Well, I know what I'll be doing this summer weekend.

Yea, the story from trailer seems crap, CGI seems even worse, whatever, I'm here for some overpowered brawl! :D

Back
Top Bottom