Witcher - Retrospective Review @ Sick Critic

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Sick Critic looks back at The Witcher from 2007:

Throwback Review: The Witcher

The Witcher is an Action RPG developed by CD Projekt Red, released on PC in 2007. The beloved series has been played by many, but I wanted to explore CDPR's first outing. I tend to find that the first game doesn't get nearly as much attention as the other two, most likely because of its PC exclusivity.

Let it be known that I am playing The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, a version of the first game that came free to buyers of the original. The enhanced edition added a few improvements, most notably a plethora of new character animations and a larger variety of color to NPC clothing.

The Witcher is based on a series of fantasy novels by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. Sapkowski's books are a household name in Poland, with some referring to him as Polish Tolkien. I am a big fan of The Witcher series as a whole, so I was excited to see how the first game holds up today. I was also looking forward to seeing how CDPR would adapt the rich world of The Witcher into a video game.

Adapting Sapkowski's World

Unlike most book adaptations, The Witcher doesn't directly re-tell the stories from the books, with the game's narrative being set after their events. The game has you playing as Geralt of Rivia, a Witcher who has recently lost his memory. A Witcher, to put it briefly, is a mutant who kills monsters for money. At a young age, they are experimented on and are trained to kill. While amnesia in fiction is quite a tired trope, I feel that CDPR made a good decision having Geralt lose his memory; it allows the player to learn about the world along with him. There are a plethora of characters from Geralt's past that book readers will recognize, a lot of the dialogue involves them re-introducing themselves to our forgetful Witcher.
[...]
The Witcher took me around 45 hours to complete. I did find that a low part of the game was Act IV, where the story slows down a little bit. However, I felt satisfied with the conclusion of the story and the narrative has a good level of escalation, especially in Act V which I won't spoil. It's mostly the games underwhelming main villain, needless running back and forth, and lack of inventory options that weigh this game down. While simple and satisfying. the combat could have more to it, and customization options are a little slim. For those reasons, I can't wholeheartedly say this game is for everyone, but if you're a fan of The Witcher series you should definitely check it out.

More information.

One of those games that when announced, I had no interest whatsoever. All the cool kids were playing it, and the politically correct crowd's knickers were twisted, so curiosity got the better of me and I gave it a whirl - and absolutely loved it. One of those rare games I played thru, then started another game immediately.

First and foremost, it's a monster mash, and not strictly your run-of-the-mill tolkienesque fantasy, or giant animal variants. It's all over the place, and takes a jaunt thru all kinds of different mythologies. Many Strigas, Bruxas, Drowners, and Vodyanois later, I was always feeling like I was encountering (er, destroying) some new type of monster.

I like the environments too, usually I'm not a big fan of swamps but I really like the coastal/swampy nature of a lot of the game's locations. Crypts abound, and they can be a bit scary! Gulping alchemical mixtures down in the darkness of some forsaken crypt to help give me an edge as I fight for my life, in too deep and barely surviving as undead horrors are lashing out of the darkness at me left and right.. good times.

And I enjoyed the combat, it was pretty original for it's time. Timing the strikes sorta "shifts" Geralt into the next level of strikes, and combined w/ magic I quite enjoyed the flow of the fights.

When the Lady of the Lake knighted me, at one point, I knew I had found one of my favorite games of all time. Talk about a category 4 nergasm :blush:

Like xSamhainx, I also had no interest in The Witcher when it was released. I can't remember why, but I had some nonsense preconceived notion about it. Fortunately, one of our old members convinced me to give it a chance.

It's just a fantastic game all around. Great setting and art direction, interesting characters, a superb soundtrack, and one hell of a plot twist.

Similar for me. Some one I trusted said to ignore the s&*t reviews and try it. I did so and was Hooked!!
I like the review as it captured the flavour of the game (for me at least) but also the repetitive nature of some travel.

It was a Day 1 purchase for me and I completed it 3 times. I still rank it above TW3 for various reasons.

When I heard the game uses Aurora engine, I just skipped reading anything about it.
I thought, who needs another NWN trash?

Sometime later someone told me the game is everything NWN isn't. So I risked it. And got me a nice ingame cards collection no other game dared to have. :)
TW2 was instabuy.

Took me a long time to get into the game - i don't even remember the knight scene posted above - but around act 2 i was hooked. The combat was not as hard as i had read on forums (I think gamefaq was the main one in those days that I used to check out games). Even on release graphics were not bad but definitely not the best - also i had not played any games with that perspective. Most games were either party base (wiz 8/m&m); strategy games (aow2-sm was still big at the time with user content) - it took me a bit ot get use to the perspective - not quite doom or half-life fp but not really third person-anyway it was a good game but very different (gameplay) from witcher 2. To be honest I think they made witcher 2 much easier (gameplay) to make it appealing to a larger crowd. For some reason i think i played this just after mass effect - very different game.

The days when I used to sit and admire a game before even loading it up.
Downloads are just not the same.
"Fantastic game".

IMG_2845.jpgIMG_2846.jpg
IMG_2847.jpg

I played the first game just a couple weeks after release, and almost quit during the swamp level (seemed to drag on and on...) I thought it was an okay game, but nothing special. I liked the concept and story anyway, and became hooked with TW2. TW3 remains the single greatest game I've ever played.

Still on my first run through the game, never played it on release. I started before summer and currently paused (haven't played in a while due to summer holidays) right after the "fight" with the kikimore queen. Chapter 4, I guess?

I like the story and atmosphere, but the "locations" feel a bit cramped sometimes and the re-use of NPC models is rather annoying.

Back
Top Bottom