Warhorse Studios - About AAA Development

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A blog post from Daniel Vavra of Warhorse Studios talks about AAA development.

CHECK YOUR PEOPLE

Filed in Developers' diary by Dan @ 3:08 pm UTC Mar 19, 2012

<strong class="blog">HOW TO MAKE CALL OF DUTY KILLER FOR LESS[/b]

So, how many people do you need to make a triple-A game? In the last century it was anywhere from one nerd, to “big” teams of 15 to 30 pizza-eating individuals in a garage. I remember my reaction, when I saw Daley Thompson’s Olympic Challenge for Atari ST, back in the days when games were made by two people – a programmer and the guy who did everything else – while Daley was done by a team of five and the graphics were completely digitized. My first thing thought was: “Oh boy, nobody needs artists anymore, the good old days are gone…”

Luckily, I was very wrong. At the time.

A few years later, during high school, I worked on an Eye of the Beholder like game. It was just me and two coders. Later we worked on an Elder Scrolls Arena clone. The programmer was 14 years old, and did awesome work on the engine side. Neither game was ever finished, we were just naive students with zero funding, working on them in our spare time, but even the big games were developed by just a few people in those days. Just look at the credits – Doom was developed by ten people, the first Elder Scrolls or Duke Nukem 3D by 15 developers and those were the biggest games.

These were the days I started in the games industry. I didn’t like the change from small garage teams to big professional software houses. But I didn’t have a clue just how wrong my definition of “big professional software house” was. If only I knew what was to come…

Later, I worked on a big open world multiplatform 3D game, one of the first of its kind. A huge project that combined several genres in one and had an insane amount of assets, game mechanisms and everything. We were making a racing game, adventure game, shooter and extremely long animated movie at the same time. We were developing all of the technology as we went along, the team members were around 21 years old on average. But we were still able to do it within a very reasonable budget and less than 30 core developers. These were the good old days.

[…]
More information.

While that whole blog is a treasure trove of interesting information about game dev, and I applaud you guys posting it since more people should read it, I am a bit surprised you are calling this a "new" blog post, since it was written in 2012 (as seen in the byline).

But again, posting these is good because they are great read. I love the one about cartography in potato land in particular.

While that whole blog is a treasure trove of interesting information about game dev, and I applaud you guys posting it since more people should read it, I am a bit surprised you are calling this a "new" blog post, since it was written in 2012 (as seen in the byline).

But again, posting these is good because they are great read. I love the one about cartography in potato land in particular.

I skipped over the date but have changed the newspost in the edit. Thanks for pointing that out.

Back
Top Bottom