The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Digital Trends is impressed by Cyberpunk 2077, too:

‘Cyberpunk 2077’ preview

The epic sci-fi sprawl of ‘Cyberpunk 2077’ feels like the future of gaming

Cyberpunk 2077 looks like the future.

That seems obvious, given the name – but I’m not talking about the setting. The future I see in Cyberpunk 2077, the upcoming first-person shooter-RPG from The Witcher series developer CD Projekt RED, is an unprecedented level of choice and consequence in RPGs.

Cyberpunk cultivates an open-world experience where every small detail is perfectly curated to immerse you in a dirty neon city. It helps quite a bit that, even within a highly structured demo, it feels as if Cyberpunk imposes very few limits. You can approach every conversation and scenario however you’d like and perhaps, more importantly, it seems as if every system — from driving to dialogue to hacking to shooting — is well-considered and polished.

Simply put, Cyberpunk 2077 feels like a larger, more complete simulation than any game I’ve ever seen. If the game works half as well as its E3 2018 hands-off demo suggests, it should be at the top of your wish list.

[...]
More information.

I was getting really excited after seeing the demo at E3, but I've just spotted on gamepressure.com that's its a 2020 release.

I was getting really excited after seeing the demo at E3, but I've just spotted on gamepressure.com that's its a 2020 release.

Perhaps not surprising (if that information is accurate), but that's sadly a long way off. Luckily we have several interesting projects in the making to keep us occupied while we wait for Cyberpunk to raise the bar to new levels. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Tbh, I didn't really expect they will go "Immersive Sim" route, gameplay seems a lot more open ended and fun. And how I've seen people describe quests, it has sort of Tarantino feel to it (tense, dramatic, nothing turns out as you'd expect, everyone out for themselves) with loads of c&c options to go along with it. Did anyone mention what hacking is like? Skill trees/perks?
Driving seems is still being worked on.
Tbh, what worries me the most is leveling and itemization...NPCs in Cyberpunk should not have any.

I didn't really expect they will go "Immersive Sim" route
They won't go any such route. They're making a proper videogame, they're not making nonexisting whatnot.
Driving seems is still being worked on.
Whatever, it'll probably be the first thing to mod out unless it's kept as optional.

Well unless there is mission specific driving it seem like you can run anywhere you could drive. Will be interesting to see if driving is limited to the ground or not though.

Remember that I've uninstalled Mafia because of formula race main story "quest" and never bought it's sequels because of that bullshit. I don't buy need4speed games nor want 'em disguised as something else - I'm not 13 anymore. For a long, long, time.

Remember that I've uninstalled Mafia because of formula race main story "quest" and never bought it's sequels because of that bullshit. I don't buy need4speed games nor want 'em disguised as something else - I'm not 13 anymore. For a long, long, time.

Is it so hard to ask a friend to do that mission for you if you can't do it?

You missed out, Mafia is brilliant.

And driving as a part of city based RPG makes perfect sense. Or did you hate riding a horse in the Witcher too and modded it out somehow?

CDPR gave no release date window. A rumor have been floating around for a few months now that it would be a next-gen consoles (and PC) only game so people dismiss CDPR officially announcing the game for current gen consoles and just predict 2020-2021 release date.

Outside Kotaku and Gamespot…

Well unless there is mission specific driving it seem like you can run anywhere you could drive. Will be interesting to see if driving is limited to the ground or not though.
You can only own cars and motorcycles (flying vehicle are so expensive that only companies and super rich corporate owns them).

Tbh, what worries me the most is leveling and itemization…NPCs in Cyberpunk should not have any.

Lots of people are angsty about that. I actually wonder how much pre-conceived notions the previewers put into what they watched, because I saw some conflicting info out three. Example, some claims it takes a long time to kill enemies, but then others say 1 or 2 bullets is enough for most of them.

Is it so hard to ask a friend to do that mission for you if you can't do it?
I don't tend to torture friends. Why do you think I can't do it? The truth is I refuse to do it. It's not fun (anymore), at least not to me.
You missed out, Mafia is brilliant.
Although I respect your opinion, it's developers of that same game that missed out $ I'd be paying for sequels if the game didn't contain bullshit. Okay, let's say missing out is mutual to keep the peace in the house. ;)
And driving as a part of city based RPG makes perfect sense. Or did you hate riding a horse in the Witcher too and modded it out somehow?
Geralt wasn't a jockey. His profession was something else.
I don't remember any mandatory horse race in TW3 that would lock you out of other content. There was no need to mod out anything, most of the TW3 world I've explored by foot (and fast travel). Yes I still completed all those optional races, but only once I did everything else. If you ask me what thing in TW3 was the least fun - there's your answer.

Can you play TW3 with hairworks enabled on linux? Well then.

I can somewhat understand your other pet peeves and obsessions, but I can't for the life of me fathom the importance you give to hair. Do you work as a hair stylist? Or perhaps sell a luxurious line of hair products? 😉

Absolutely not. In fact I don't like tempering with it by stylists, the best hair is when washed with shampoo vulgaris and left alone.
In some occassions of course, FU hairdo is of uttermost importance. No, not maskenballs, but when you need to show your attitude and pass a message by trolling. That'd be stuff Cyndy Lauper did back in the day:

gallery_big_Cyndi_Lauper_80s_style.jpg

The actual thing is I still have (thick? rich? what would be the best word?) hair. And I love messing with it during random chatty. Doesn't have to be mine.

Ok. My own receeding hairline makes me pick a bald guy every time anyway. Guess that's why I never cared for the Witcher...

No, because sadly not released on Linux. AMD open-sourced their game tools, though, and TressFX works fine in Tomb Raider for Linux.

There's no technical barrier, just what vendors choose to support.

Back
Top Bottom