Game of the decade

Game, yes. Which makes me totally confused - only dart placed a zombie game in the "bestest" trio. And here I thought everyone and their mother adores zombie games as there are thousands of those at the market. :)
Yea, you may argue those aren't zombies, mhm, it's not a turd it's a dog's poo.

A li'l of off topic, march 2020, season 2:

1 Dark Souls
2 Divinity Original Sin 1
3 Mass Effect 2
Honourable mentions would be too many, but I feel particularly guilty about leaving legend of grimrock 2 off the list.

1. FTL
2. Rimworld
3. Divinity OS 2

Pretty different games, but every single one of the is doing what it's supposed to in perfection.

1. Witcher 3
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Skyrim
If Dragon Age: Origins fits the time-frame, that would nudge in to 2nd place.
I love sexy companions!

I also would have picked Dragon Age: Origins but I believe it came out the end of the prior decade. And unfortunately, it has those absolute crap games that came out as purported sequels, ecchhkkk.

DA:O came out in late 2009, but when did you actually play it? Go check your screenshots to see! You *did* take screenshots, right??

Dragon Age 2 wasn't too terrible on its own, it just wasn't nearly as good as Origins. Dragon Age 3 was fine.

Back then I was playing games that I thought were going to be good on the day/week of release. I actually have the written notes from when I first played Origins, and it's dated 14/11/09, which makes sense because I was out of town the first two weeks of that month, so I certainly didn't play it the very day it released. I've replayed it a few times since, and as far as I'm concerned, that's where the series began and ended.

DA:O came out in late 2009, but when did you actually play it? Go check your screenshots to see! You *did* take screenshots, right??

Sorry, no. That isn’t how calendars work. A game released in 2009 is a 2009 game, and 2009 is from the previous decade. Seems simple because it is. DA:O was one of my favorite games of the previous decade, personally.

1. The Witcher 3 - a truly great game, one I (finally) replayed on both PC and Switch this year and continue to love.

2. Divinity Original Sin 2 - another one I bought at release and enjoyed, but only got to replaying this year ... also on PC and Switch.

3. Skyrim - I have played this off and on since ... forever. And this year, also played on Switch.

Worth noting: I didn’t play either Kingdom Come: Deliverance or Disco Elysium yet. I also loved Pillars of Eternity, Fallout 4, and some others. I will get to them eventually - but was too involved with other stuff to even buy on the recent sales.

Also - I spent much more time this decade replaying games on a variety of platforms (PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Switch, PS Vita, older handhelds) than playing new games.

Hands down Witcher III as my game of the decade. It's my most re-palyed game.

Neverwinter Nights 1&2 are my second most played games.

What is a great game? One which we played the most; one which we enjoyed the most; one which moved the art of game playing hte most; one which had the greatest impact; one which was easy to enter and easy to exit; or perhaps games aren't really great and we should be spending more time throwing rocks at east other ?

For the first half of the decade I was still gaming on a 2009 machine and as such didn't even start playing games from this decade much beyond 2010 releases until around 2017, at which point I did start catching up on the decade, but not with any real gusto.

You cannot underestimate what Dragon Age 2 did to my enthusiasm for gaming, particularly with regard to big-game releases and the notion of AAA games. It was like the end of an era for me. It doesn't matter how good the graphics are nor how good the story is, I just have no interest in that whole action/console format of gaming. Even in the 2000s I couldn't bare even the precursors to this format such as KOTOR or Morrowind, that whole design spectrum does literally zero for me.

As such I tend to find myself only really playing games from the AA and indy sector, not so much by personal choice but by the sheer lack of choice in the big-budget arena that is now entirely monopolised by one specific style of game forever reskinned and mildly altered.

Some standouts in this regard would be stuff like the Civilisation series, Total War series or the Tropico series or something like Cities Skylines. However, I haven't played any of those yet either from this decade. I never liked Civilisation 4 and stopped following that series in the 2000s, I never liked Total War 3 or 4, so stopped following that series in the 2000s as well. I can't get into Tropico at all for some reason.

I've been getting into Anno recently, but I'm only up to their 2009 release atm, Age of Wonders also, not tried the new ones yet.

So my picks for GotD would all be RPGs, and not the usual picks either, the same ones I wrote in another thread that postulated a GotD idea:

1. Blackguards
2. Lords of Xulima
3. Drkensang: The River of Time

But I also haven't tried Pathfinder yet and I am looking forward to trying that now that it's kinda done and dusted and I'll be able to buy the complete and mostly patched version this year. If I'd have played it this year it might well have found no.1 spot.

Unless I have a similar experience to Divinity Original Sin and find myself loving the game up until the point when I don't anymore. The first half of Divinity Original Sin, in and around Cyseal is by far my No.1 gaming experience of the decade, however, the second half is so tedious I barely managed to force myself to the end, the second half of the game not even making my top 20 in most likelihood. And Pathfinder is a very long game, so I'll have to prepare myself psychologically for a 6 month one-game run before playing it.

I have lots of honorable mentions and loads of games I feel guilty not mentioning, but then I guess so would anyone when being given a choice of just 3 for a decade.

I'm also curious about The Great Gias that both HiddenX and Carnifex rate very highly, another mammoth game.

So I wouldn't claim that my choices are good fits for GotD in a general sense, but they are most certainly my picks and all are games which most certainly helped me recover my love for gaming after the indescribable horrors of Dragon Age 2 and the ever more reduced choice in the gaming market as a whole.

Well I played all three of those games and they might very well be game of the decade - i have no clue - but i personally enjoyed dragon age 2 more than the three of them. Not saying dragon age 2 was a great or even a good game just saying....

1. Blackguards
2. Lords of Xulima
3. Drkensang: The River of Time

...one which we enjoyed the most...
That. Plot the amount of fun you are having vs. time. The area under the curve is your score. If a game has really annoying bits, you can take the "fun" score into negative territory and subtract those areas.

If DArt would like to say that I'm wrong, he's welcome to do so! ;)

P.S. Do not confuse with "value" which would be this score divided by the money spent on the game.

Well I played all three of those games and they might very well be game of the decade - i have no clue - but i personally enjoyed dragon age 2 more than the three of them. Not saying dragon age 2 was a great or even a good game just saying….

Wow, that's quite the insult to those games :D I have no idea how to reply to that without being really quite rude lmao.

That. Plot the amount of fun you are having vs. time. The area under the curve is your score. If a game has really annoying bits, you can take the "fun" score into negative territory and subtract those areas.

If DArt would like to say that I'm wrong, he's welcome to do so! ;)

P.S. Do not confuse with "value" which would be this score divided by the money spent on the game.
I agree with this metric! The games I picked were long and entertaining from start to finish. Compare that with DDOS2 which is long (I'm over 200 hours and not done yet) but has a few frustrations too. I enjoyed Tyranny and Torment:Numenara all the way through, but neither were as epic as my top 3. Also 1st person games ftw.

There is nothing to say neither i nor you are correct; it is all a matter of opinion. It doesn't even matter if the majority of people agree with you or myself; what one enjoy in gaming should have no bearing on what another enjoys. Having said that dragon age 2 could use a lot of work and better maps.

Wow, that's quite the insult to those games :D I have no idea how to reply to that without being really quite rude lmao.

"Blah blah blah opinions, subjectivity, who else can say what I like, blah blah blah if I like reading a game of thrones fan fiction more than reading a charles dickens novel then I clearly think the fanfiction is better and therefore there's no correct answer to which is better."

Lmao. Dude, you just said DA2 needs a lot of work, the games I listed did not need a lot of additional work to be solid products. Lmao.

If you're dead set on following this avenue of deliberate contrariness for the sake of obtuseness then you could at least say what's wrong with the games you mentioned that make them worse than one of the worst games of the decade by every metric you could possibly use to measure such a statement.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom