RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2019

I didn't play any of the games on the 2019 list.

My top 3 for 2020 were:
Knights of the Chalice 2
Wasteland 3
Colony Ship

With Realms Beyond a close 4th.

My picks for this year and the most promising next year.

1. The Outer Worlds
  2. GreedFall
  3. Queen's Wish: The Conqueror

1. Cyberpunk 2077
  2. Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2
  3. Wasteland 3

1. Phoenix Point
2. The Outer Worlds
3. Disco Elysium

1. V:TM -- Bloodlines 2
2. Knights of the Chalice II
3. Realms Beyond

Well off-topic but how the hell is Phoenix Point an RPG?

Just asking as I see it picked a few times.

- Fell Seal the Arbiter's Mask
- Greedfall
- None

- VtMB2
- Colony Ship
- Undecided

I'm asking why? They are not RPGs by genre definition.

Anyway don't want to clutter the thread with off-topic replies.

So PM me with the answers.

-> link
“I also wanted to bring some of the RPG elements from the original X-COM to Phoenix Point,” Gollop continues. “That sense that you’re creating and nurturing a squad and carefully building them up to a force that’s going to save the world. We want the player to have to decide whether they’re going to risk their best soldier in a battle or save them for when things get tougher later.”

It's a Game of the Year vote, for games we covered and shortlisted by Watchers. Phoenix Point made it on the list.

Yeah still not an RPG just RPG elements but whatever as the saying goes.

2019 was just a bad year for RPGs.:(

I'm looking forward to Realms Beyond, Colony Ship, Iron Oath, Wasteland 3, and Cyberpunk 2077 this year. Hopefully at least one of them will turn out well. I'm not really much of a Knights of the Chalice fan, but I'll give the new one a try if it is well received.

Yes, I could have put KotC 2 as I liked the first game. I dunno, I just haven't got any vibes for it yet, still so many details to come which are unknown quantities at this point so I refuse to get myself hyped in any way, but it's one I could get hyped for closer to release.

It surprised me how few of the games I'd looked into, time to get to work

2019 none (Disco Elysium was the only one on the list I actually played, aside from briefly playing the beta of Forged of Blood & demo of Stygian)

1. Realms Beyond
2. Sacred Fire
3. Copper Dreams

Lots of other games I'm looking forward to this year.

Yeah still not an RPG just RPG elements but whatever as the saying goes.

2019 was just a bad year for RPGs.:(
Phoenix Point is tagged as an RPG by its developer on the Epic Store. "Strategy, RPG, Turn-Based". If the developer calls it one, it would be strange not to call it one on RPGWatch since the definition has traditionally been really loose here anyway.

My picks:

None. I didn't play any of the listed games.

1. Realms Beyond - Just something about this game that gets me very excited (isometric, graphics, mechanics, classic old school type vibe, etc.) and its my most anticipated rpg for this year.

2. Cyberpunk 2077 - Although not really a fan of cyberpunk in general, I do think this game has great potential, and yea, I'll admit that I have bought into all the hype about it.

3. Wasteland 3 - I absolutely loved Wasteland 2, and so am very much anticipating this sequel. That said, not a fan of the icy wintry type setting, and also am somewhat disappointed with another change they made, to the inventory system. (they made it a party-based group type inventory system) Maybe I'm too old school on this, but I actually like juggling the inventory for each individual character and its something I enjoy doing as a typical feature/mechanic in rpgs. It also adds to the realism factor as well.

Last edited:
I picked The Outer Worlds for "best". The only other new CRPG I played that was listed was The Queen's Wish, and I severely stalled on that.

Most of my year has been a fight against some sort of anhedonia (also why I haven't been posting...).
If it were games in general, I really really liked Metro: Exodus.

Most of my year has been a fight against some sort of anhedonia (also why I haven't been posting...).
May the dice be in your favor this year rolling critical hits!

Wow, the first time I've ever voted "None" on something I think.

• The Outer Worlds
  • Greedfall
  • None
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • None
  • None
I wasn't even aware that 2020 was as dry as it is, until I saw the list. I'm still hoping we might see ELEX 2 or something towards the end of the year.

Didn't vote yet (don't ask). But had to write.

Not sure what's with the "none" plague for goty part. The poll will be live for a few days more, you could at least try some game that looks promising to you.
It's not as real as if you finished all of nominated titles? Of course not, but at least you'd boost some game that at least has an interesting start to spots #4 or #5 which is a great recommendation for everyone who needs some wishlist entries.

Also going with none(s) in the eager part is kinda odd from my perspective. How is it even possible? From all nominations you can still pick 3 you'd like to try eventually - it's not "predict next year's goty" vote.

Back
Top Bottom