Baldur's Gate 3 - Live Stream at Pax East

And if this game do not meet our expectations, it will never be Baldurs Gate, just like Arcania never be Gothic 4!
Man, if they make it Illithid dating sim, it'll exceed my expectations. In such case it can be named Beholder's Gate for all I care. Or, someone on the board always wrote, Balder's Gate. 3.

Arcania developer thought a Gothic game needs only one thing - lack of humor. They made such game. Of course that's not Gothic, Gothic games were never designed around removing features from a game, but around adding them.

*sorry for double posting, I'm reading this thread after the fact and had two pages to read through*

It will never be that Baldur's Gate and it can never be after 20 years. And I personally don't want it to be. 2E D&D might have been a golden RPG era, but some aspects of it are just archaic (when translated to CRPG). It is destined to disappoint some people like any late sequel is, but I think it's in good hands. I really don't get any D:OS vibe from any promo material they put on.

Did they announce what kind of combat this will have? They have proven they can do great TB and ARPG combat, but this has to be RTwP and they haven't made any of games with that kind of combat so I have to be a tiny bit skeptical.

*sorry for double posting, I'm reading this thread after the fact and had two pages to read through*

It will never be that Baldur's Gate and it can never be after 20 years. And I personally don't want it to be. 2E D&D might have been a golden RPG era, but some aspects of it are just archaic (when translated to CRPG). It is destined to disappoint some people like any late sequel is, but I think it's in good hands. I really don't get any D:OS vibe from any promo material they put on.

Did they announce what kind of combat this will have? They have proven they can do great TB and ARPG combat, but this has to be RTwP and they haven't made any of games with that kind of combat so I have to be a tiny bit skeptical.

Hmm, I'd say they do bad ARPG combat and ok TB combat with too much focus on the elemental stuff, but to each their own. I'm still very hopeful for BG3 though.

I wouldn't say their ARPG combat was great, but I wouldn't say it was bad either. I enjoyed Divine Divinity 1 & 2 quite a lot. If it were up to me, I'd rather see a sequel to that series before another Original Sin game.

Taking a franchise that was left dormant for 20 years is perilous.

Going UgoIgo (or something close enough to appease UgoIgo players'insecurities) would provide a line of stalwart defenders, no matter what.

If not, this product is going to be depicted as an unworthy successor, without that BG feeling etc

With seating for 1000 people, don't worry if you can't make it to the live show, it'll also be streamed on YouTube.
People on this site will not be able to watch to learn stuff. It is streamed. And they do not watch vid products being streamed. They prefer to play them.

No mention of twitch, maybe an agreement with YT.

People on this site will not be able to watch to learn stuff. It is streamed. And they do not watch vid products being streamed. They prefer to play them.

Aren't you included in "people on this site"? ;)

Never it was written all the people.

It was written people and people who keep repeating they prefer not to watch streams and do not understand it etc

People who write they watch streams to learn about a product have no issue.
They do not have to manage contradictions. They may not have the intellect for it if they are simple minded people.

It takes a superior mind to manage contradictions, to conciliate opposites etc

Superior minded people write they do not watch streams, they play vid products. Yet will watch this product being streamed.

Never it was written all the people.

Actually, it was. When you write "People on this site", it includes everyone here. If that wasn't your intent, you should write "Many people" or "Most people" if that was what you were implying.

Preferring one thing to another does not definitively exclude either so no contradiction.

Further more you cant play a presentation at a conference and currently you cant play the game either. Since playing isn’t even an option there’s no contradiction.

How does one play a Pax East conference?

I've played most of Larian's games over the years. I think the only ones I didn't play are Beyond Divinity and Dragon Commander. I suspect they'll make an enjoyable BG3. While I played and completed D:OS 1 and 2, RPGs where combat is by far the main aspect of the game are less appealing to me than RPGs that emphasize exploration and discovery (along with satisfying combat). I'm longing for Swen's announcement of a brand new IP that will be the "RPG of all RPGs" where the development's guiding light will be Ultima 7.

I think Larian will do a good job. I didn't like the writing in D:OS… too samey, and I wasn't a fan of the tone. But I thought it was better in D:OS2, with more diversified personalities and less constantly amused with itself. Baldur's Gate was far from grim and humorless, so an evolving Larian seems like a good fit to me. I can't think of any studio positioned to do a better job.

I think Larian will do a good job. I didn't like the writing in D:OS… too samey, and I wasn't a fan of the tone. But I thought it was better in D:OS2, with more diversified personalities and less constantly amused with itself. Baldur's Gate was far from grim and humorless, so an evolving Larian seems like a good fit to me. I can't think of any studio positioned to do a better job.

While BG was definitely not humorless, it knew how to play with atmosphere and it definitely knew how to ctreate properly grim feeling. Especially BG2. Nothing I saw from Larian was close to that level of atmosphere building and storytelling. I hope they really worked hard on this part, otherwise it will fail, and it will not be fault of inadequatelly high expectations of hardcore fans.

Well, thanks to EA, I dont have to wait for release and can sit crying in corner much sooner, if its not good. That said ... fingres crossed.

Preferring one thing to another does not definitively exclude either so no contradiction.
The use of prefer was attenuation.
Further more you cant play a presentation at a conference and currently you cant play the game either. Since playing isn’t even an option there’s no contradiction.

As expected. It must be different. An availability, accessibility issue.

One point mentionned many times: streamers might receive early keys for products they stream.

Blurring lines, bringing confusion... It must be different.

The use of prefer was attenuation.

No way for me to know that, Just saying what you mean may be a better approach next time.

As expected. It must be different. An availability, accessibility issue.

That would be an issue for me, cant speak for others.

One point mentionned many times: streamers might receive early keys for products they stream.

Blurring lines, bringing confusion… It must be different.

I typically don’t watch streams or read reviews of games I know I’m going to buy as I want to go in as blind as possible.

If I do watch a video its usually a pre recorded one. The few live streams I’ve watched have annoyed me to no end. Watching them fumble around in menus or settings, systems they don’t understand is excruciatingly boring.

So why would I watch this presentation? I want to see what combat system and briefly how it’s implemented. Once I know I won’t be watching further.

Once the game is released I’d always prefer to play it myself vs watching someone else play. Why would I want to substitute my own experience with the experience of someone else?

Back
Top Bottom