Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Have any of you tried out TopWare's latest game, Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry? It seems to have been released to the sound of crickets with quite literally no information about the game aside from the email I got from TopWare telling me of its release. Even metacritic doesn't have much. Have any of you tried it? Is it even an RPG?

The original got panned badly ... wonder if this new version is any better?

Have any of you tried out TopWare's latest game, Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry? It seems to have been released to the sound of crickets with quite literally no information about the game aside from the email I got from TopWare telling me of its release. Even metacritic doesn't have much. Have any of you tried it? Is it even an RPG?
You can re-read Raven's Cry's RPGWatch history in this thread.

The original got panned badly … wonder if this new version is any better?
I think it is indeed better. However I don't know yet if that makes the game good.

I've followed it for a year now and still don't know if I should buy it or not. I'll reconsider when I've finished FO4 or when RC is on sale.

I'm on the game.

Started it and instantly disabled DOF and motion blur consoley garbage.
I'm aware Ubi doesn't care and is trying to force it on PC too, but can't understand why other developers are doing that on PC. These things have to be disabled by default on PC IMO.

Instantly noticed FPS drops on prerendered cutscenes.
Exited the game, disabled Steam Overlay but didn't check intro cutscenes… Reported anyway and got a suggestion to disable HD video if it happens again.

i5 4670K and GTX760 here for those who need that info.
The game plays without any FPS drop or stutter so horrors you've heard are probably hardware specific (seems that framedrop problems occur on GTX 9xx cards because of yet unknown resons).
After 7 hours of constant running it finally crashed to desktop, not sure why, at a moment textures from one NPC disappeared, then I went on map which was displayed completely white and then it crashed. Possible memory leak I guess, but since it worked okay for 7 hours, I won't complain.

And a patch was just released:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/386280/discussions/0/492379439687600369/
Update V 1.02 Changelog

- missing dialogue animations added
- weather correction in Ravens mind
- fixes on Black Rock (Deluxe only), added rewards and more animals
- NPC behavior in St. Lucia tavern improved
- AI improvement on St John(e.g. Kensington's guards are now attacking)
- NPC diversity increased. e.g Jon model changed.
- more tips and hints added
- more chests with treasures added, globally.
- missing lip syncs added
- missing Dragoner-Pistol icon added
- collision boxes on Aves Islands improved
- minor fixes in text, globally.
- music during credits added
- Outro Cinematics and Postprocessing improved

Some stuff I've noticed in the short time I played the EE.

Pros:
- a bunch of new quests added that were not present in the original game
- a bunch of lootable containers added that make exploring worthwhile
- new items to improve shipsailing stats that weren't in the original game - hats
- gambling is "fixed" and impossible to win (storyconnected) and you can't exploit it
- cannonaiming style improved

Cons:
- the raven gets stuck sometimes bug is not fixed
- new mobs added to fight against (animals) with horrible AI and too much of XP gain
- once you get the second ship earning $ becomes supereasy
- the healing bottle and now a sword (sellcost cca $400) respawn endlessly on area transition on St. Lucia (will report this bug if wasn't addressed in the patch)

Joxer - would you recommend this game? Some of my favorite RPGs are Ultima VII, Gothic 2, and Skyrim.

Hard to say. The game is nothing like any of those.

It plays totally like Sea Dogs and it's sequels and spinoffs:
Sea Dogs (2000)
Pirates of the Caribbean (2003)
Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales (2006)
Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships (2009)

And it seems totally inspired by those as they share:
- superb music
- clunky groundcombat with horrible opponents AI
- bugs that prevent some quests from being solved (I hope this was fixed in RC:EE)
- totally fun ship fights

Differences?
Unlike Sea Dogs and the rest, you can't "improve" skills of your ship officers in Raven's Cry - skills they have by default never change. This is not a bad decision IMO as keeps you away from grinding since RC sidekicks don't really have BlackIsleish background story to share.
You also can't make a fleet and lead it with you in Raven's Cry (apart from friendlies that temporarily join your side during some quests). Another good choice as in Sea Dogs you could build an OP fleet and pwn everything.

IMO you should first test your taste with DRMfree Sea Dogs available on GOG:
http://www.gog.com/game/sea_dogs
No need to rush, you may grab it on xmas sale and of course, because TW3 and FO4 who has time for other games now? :D

Is Raven's Cry EE a musthave game? Dunno. For the original game I already said it's slightly above average after I finished it. For enhanced edition still can't say anything for sure as I barely started it and barely scratched the mainstory as am enjoying new sidequests.

To this day I don't know why critics panned it so hard. I've seen many games in my life and some definetly deserved 1/10, but this one totally didn't. And critics were showering the game with that score calling out whatever unforgivable issues seems only them had - not only nonexisting bugs (as I made the actual buglist) but also issues related to the game story (sexism, racism, slavery, etc) like all of them expected kill_noone and remain politically correct Superman game and not an evil pirate in the era where political correctness was a fairy tale.

One thing I can say for sure.
Unlike (usually) overhyped visual candy I've played this year, mainly AC:Unity and FarCry4 where I uninstalled without ever finishing those because of utter boredom, I've finished original Raven's Cry twice without getting bored anywhere and now am on it for the third time, and again not bored to death like with grindy and repetitive modern mainstream games.

Hmmm… I might copy this on Steam minireviews.

Damn I haven't played any of the games you say this game is like. Perhaps I'll check out some Let's Play videos on youtube to get a better idea. Thanks so much for the info though!

Okay, I'll perhaps add some more words after I finish EE version.

Well another patch was released a few days back.

Link - http://steamcommunity.com/games/386280/announcements/detail/741203711518385857
Update V 1.02 Changelog:

- missing dialogue animations added
- weather correction in Ravens mind
- fixes on Black Rock (Deluxe only), added rewards and more animals
- NPC behavior in St. Lucia tavern improved
- AI improvement on St John(e.g. Kensington's guards are now attacking)
- NPC diversity increased. e.g Jon model changed.
- more tips and hints added
- more chests with treasures added, globally.
- missing lip syncs added
- missing Dragoner-Pistol icon added
- collision boxes on Aves Islands improved
- minor fixes in text, globally.
- music during credits added
- Outro Cinematics and Postprocessing improved
It's amazing how many problems this game still needs fixed.:roll:

Game was removed from steam, guess those fake positive reviews were really fake :lol:

What?
My review, positive, is not fake.

EDIT:
It's not there, that's true. I can go through my library on it's parts and it's supposed to be this, but the link returns to steam homepage:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/386280/

Again, my review was not fake.
And it was thumb up.

Joxer, did they fix the seagull sound? That freaking thing was driving me mad.

They fixed pretty much everything except the poor groundcombat mobs AI - but since it's RPG, RPG on PC and not Assassin Creed xth, that's pretty much (IMO) irrelevant.

Topware is dying ugly. Really REALLY ugly.

Back
Top Bottom